Re: [Academy of Anvil] Deep Purple

  • wipy1999
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 5, 2004
      Lips you mean you never saw Deep Purple in the glory days?? Ah They
      suck now....... They are long finished and very WIMPY now....--- In
      academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Fielden" <jerryfie@h...> wrote:
      > Fresh from seeing DP in Toronto on Thrusday - had to be one of the
      best shows I've ever seen. And I've seen DP in 1972 and in 1985. This
      year, the sound was excelllent , the new members were kickass - Steve
      and Don; and Roger and the the two Ians were in great shape - IG even
      pulled off some screams I thought he would never do again on the
      Machine Head set. All great guys to talk with after the show too :)

      > Thin Lizzy didn't do anything for me, they're nothing without
      Lynott... Although I would've loved to see Gary Moore play!

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2004
        --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, wipy1999 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Lips you mean you never saw Deep Purple in the glory days?? Ah They
        > suck now....... They are long finished and very WIMPY now> >

        Well, I don't know,,,everybody's got their own opinion but how do
        they suck? Because they are old now and can't play anymore? If that's
        the reason I must strongly disagree! I saw them in the 80's a few
        times and I did see them on tour 2 years ago from the 2nd row. Right
        in front of Steve and I could see them working. Pick up a guitar or
        sit behind a drumkit. Then try to play like that! These guys are one
        of the greatest bunch of musicians in rock and they are not at all
        past it. The talent on that stage is beyond criticism. I think maybe
        you mean their more recent CDs? Well, I don't have them all but what
        I've heard was quite good. Nope, there's no pounding death metal on
        there and thank God for that! But they've evolved and changed a bit
        as we all have over the years, yunno? It sucked when Blackmore left
        again but if he was still in the band, I'm sure they would have
        packed it in by now. With Steve Morse, I could see that they were
        really having fun playing again.
        Well, it's only my opinion and what do I know?.....

        cAtdeli
      • Jerry Fielden
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 6, 2004
          Hear hear Catdeli!

          They might be old, but they sure can play - and they could teach quite a few lessons to a lot of newer bands. :) I've seen them play in 1972, 1985 and 2004 so I know what I've seen and heard - great all 3 times!

          And like the guys from Anvil, they really care about their fans.

          Jerry

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 8, 2004
            Sorry VCat Deli I have never saw DP live but I heard a few late 90,s
            bootleg concerts here I bought in Lima including Silly songs like Ted
            The Mechanic.... Correct Me if I am wrong but that was the name of
            one of the songs and it did not sound Metal at all. DP seems like an
            old worn out PoP band now..... Well what else can I say???? Just
            jamming here on some Old Tank. Yeh Weird algy wArd used to be the
            bassist for The Damned. I heard Lemmy almost was the bassist for the
            Damned too,,,, Later Everyone::::: WIPY......--- In

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 8, 2004
              Well Wipy, Ian Gillan has stopped to sing with Black Sabbath because
              he realised that Hard Rock and Heavy Metal were two different things.
              Deep Purple will stay forever a name that we'll remember......like
              Led Zeppelin! Find a "metal drummer" that can make Bonham's solo on
              the "early years" DVD. Hard rock is a thing and metal another one.
              The fact is that Metal comes from Hard Rock........and Rock from the
              Blues. No big Music names suck, man...Because they all brought or
              still bring something different to listen to. I saw DP in 1985 with
              Girlschool opening. Let me tell you that "it was not the same". Deep
              Purple was awesome and I was a Girlschool fan. Ian Gillan knows how
              to stand on a stage, but it was fun to see that Ian Paice even didn't
              look at Blackmore :) Metal is good, but "Kings" are "Kings".

              Pretending that DP sucks and bringing Thor on the topic is deeply
              weird. "Thor" has maybe given good shows, but he looks like crap. His
              look is probably inspired from "Bam Bam" (Peeble's friend) in the
              Flintstones.

              We're in 2004, we have to live with our time. Imagine Lips wearing
              like on SoS playing in bars now...Everybody change, and DP changed
              too. Some likes, some dislikes.

              tange