Re: [Academy of Anvil] Deep Purple

  • Jerry Fielden
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2004
      Fresh from seeing DP in Toronto on Thrusday - had to be one of the best shows I've ever seen. And I've seen DP in 1972 and in 1985. This year, the sound was excelllent , the new members were kickass - Steve and Don; and Roger and the the two Ians were in great shape - IG even pulled off some screams I thought he would never do again on the Machine Head set. All great guys to talk with after the show too :)

      Thin Lizzy didn't do anything for me, they're nothing without Lynott... Although I would've loved to see Gary Moore play!
      Colin went to see it and said it was great, they played all of the
      Machine head album plus Strange Kind of Woman, Speed King, When a

    • wipy1999
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2004
        Lips you mean you never saw Deep Purple in the glory days?? Ah They
        suck now....... They are long finished and very WIMPY now....--- In

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2004
          --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, wipy1999 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Lips you mean you never saw Deep Purple in the glory days?? Ah They
          > suck now....... They are long finished and very WIMPY now> >

          Well, I don't know,,,everybody's got their own opinion but how do
          they suck? Because they are old now and can't play anymore? If that's
          the reason I must strongly disagree! I saw them in the 80's a few
          times and I did see them on tour 2 years ago from the 2nd row. Right
          in front of Steve and I could see them working. Pick up a guitar or
          sit behind a drumkit. Then try to play like that! These guys are one
          of the greatest bunch of musicians in rock and they are not at all
          past it. The talent on that stage is beyond criticism. I think maybe
          you mean their more recent CDs? Well, I don't have them all but what
          I've heard was quite good. Nope, there's no pounding death metal on
          there and thank God for that! But they've evolved and changed a bit
          as we all have over the years, yunno? It sucked when Blackmore left
          again but if he was still in the band, I'm sure they would have
          packed it in by now. With Steve Morse, I could see that they were
          really having fun playing again.
          Well, it's only my opinion and what do I know?.....

          cAtdeli
        • Jerry Fielden
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 6, 2004
            Hear hear Catdeli!

            They might be old, but they sure can play - and they could teach quite a few lessons to a lot of newer bands. :) I've seen them play in 1972, 1985 and 2004 so I know what I've seen and heard - great all 3 times!

            And like the guys from Anvil, they really care about their fans.

            Jerry

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 8, 2004
              Sorry VCat Deli I have never saw DP live but I heard a few late 90,s
              bootleg concerts here I bought in Lima including Silly songs like Ted
              The Mechanic.... Correct Me if I am wrong but that was the name of
              one of the songs and it did not sound Metal at all. DP seems like an
              old worn out PoP band now..... Well what else can I say???? Just
              jamming here on some Old Tank. Yeh Weird algy wArd used to be the
              bassist for The Damned. I heard Lemmy almost was the bassist for the
              Damned too,,,, Later Everyone::::: WIPY......--- In

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 8, 2004
                Well Wipy, Ian Gillan has stopped to sing with Black Sabbath because
                he realised that Hard Rock and Heavy Metal were two different things.
                Deep Purple will stay forever a name that we'll remember......like
                Led Zeppelin! Find a "metal drummer" that can make Bonham's solo on
                the "early years" DVD. Hard rock is a thing and metal another one.
                The fact is that Metal comes from Hard Rock........and Rock from the
                Blues. No big Music names suck, man...Because they all brought or
                still bring something different to listen to. I saw DP in 1985 with
                Girlschool opening. Let me tell you that "it was not the same". Deep
                Purple was awesome and I was a Girlschool fan. Ian Gillan knows how
                to stand on a stage, but it was fun to see that Ian Paice even didn't
                look at Blackmore :) Metal is good, but "Kings" are "Kings".

                Pretending that DP sucks and bringing Thor on the topic is deeply
                weird. "Thor" has maybe given good shows, but he looks like crap. His
                look is probably inspired from "Bam Bam" (Peeble's friend) in the
                Flintstones.

                We're in 2004, we have to live with our time. Imagine Lips wearing
                like on SoS playing in bars now...Everybody change, and DP changed
                too. Some likes, some dislikes.

                tange