Re:SGS

  • anvilips2000
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 16, 2004
      I'm quite serious when I say that the mastering of Still Going Strong
      was a big disapointment to Pierre, and now I completely understand
      what he was so upset about. We will be re releasing this cd in the US
      in the very near future and I think I will ask Pierre to remaster it.
      Robb and I originally mastered it here in Toronto back in 02 but I
      really wish that Pierre had mastered it at his studio as the new cd
      sounds so much better. At the moment Pierre is in South America
      recording a band down there but I will speak to him when he gets
      back. I discussed my observations with Robb today and we both agree
      that if we have the chance to improve something you have to try, and
      in my view anything would be an improvement to what I realized today.
      If nothing else it gives an edge to our new lable to have a slightly
      different version to sell....to Tony!!!!! Please remember that
      mastering is a very subtle thing, it really is just how one likes the
      amounts of treble bass and middle to sound, and depending on how much
      you boost or take away can make the differance of being able to hear
      everything in the actual recording. In the case of SGS we boosted
      upper mid range making guitars more pronounced thusly drowning out
      the sound of the drums. It's a simple adjustment and I know that
      Pierre will be more than happy to make it, let's hope he's reasonable
      on price....lol....
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 17, 2004
        It's amazing that SGS has been rated so well by the reviewers, when you pretend that's it's not well remastered. It proves one thing: you were right about the album's reviews. Or the reviewers really don't have the time to really listen to all the cds that they have to criticize...or they are not made to do this job.

        I don't know how you and Robb have remastered SGS, but I have an excellent software to make mp3's from a Cd and I've never been able to make a "normal one" with SGS. I wanted "Race Against Time" on the Anvil Metal Pounder fansite and it was so weird to hear: "Anvil lost in space!" A mp3 is a compressed file and if you have touched the bass or the treble in a exagerate way, maybe it has discreased the quality of the recording.

        "Plenty of Power" : who remastered it? Because, it gives an excellent sound even it is a mp3. I think that Pierre Remillard is probably the guy who know the best about these things, and the price that he will charge you: "You got nothing for nothing". Go for the quality.

        Tange :0)

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 17, 2004
          > If nothing else it gives an edge to our new lable to have a slightly
          > different version to sell....to Tony!!!!!

          YES...TO ME!!!!

          2 copies please!!!
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 17, 2004
            OK, I think it is about time to post some pictures of the new Tony
            Gallo Museum Of AnViL Memorabilia. It must be your entire cellar full
            of things by now. Do you also collect other bands? I have a room in
            my cellar full of my stuff...LP's, cassettes, 8 tracks, magazines,
            posters, clippings, shirts,,,the whole kit! There's not a woman that
            could make me part with my stuff...grrrrrr!!!!! Ha!

            Catdeli
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 17, 2004
              It's mostly made up of CDs, LPs, cassettes, shirts, bootlegs and
              magazines. I do have some pictures on my "collection page". I was
              running low on room while living with my parents. I now own a 3
              bedroon house. One bedroom is the computer room/Anvil collection room.

              I don't collect any other bands. I can't be bothered.