Re: BTB

  • anvilips2000
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 16, 2004
      I just finished shocking myself, I listened to BTB then SGS right
      after and I couldn't believe how burried the drums were, except for
      White Rhino.On the other hand the new cd has way more clearity and
      you can hear the drumming excellent in comparison, but you know what
      was even more of a revelation to me was how it wasn't varried enough,
      it seemed to almost sound like what I was mentioning about Motorhead
      and ACDC all the same! I know that it might sound critical of myself
      but that's how it made me feel TODAY!! Meaning how will it sound to
      me ten years from now? Who knows!!I would also have to add that I
      think the songs on the new cd are more catchy and in some cases a bit
      transparent, in the way you can hear the influences, for better or
      worse these days, but all in all a continuation in the Anvil
      tradition. Everything is there, fast, slow, mid tempo what ever we
      have done and some we haven't. I really wouldn't go as far to say
      that the people who like speed metal won't like this cd, it has it's
      fast moments for sure!!If you think about it how can't it....The
      Zebra never changes it's stripes!!!
    • anvilips2000
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 14, 2004
        I just thought I would like to let everyone know how greatful I am
        that Tony and Tange are enjoying the new cd. This gives me more
        happiness than you could ever know. You see , between all my biggest
        fans we all know what this cd really is, and I think for the first
        time in a long time we've created a cd that we all like each of the
        songs , although some more than others the consistancy is realitively
        equal. You will find as I did, in time each song becomes part of the
        whole entire cd, and you will find it difficult not to listen to the
        entire cd each time you decide to sit and listen. Jeff from
        collectors corner says he hasn't got a favourite, he likes all of
        it!! Even Colin(Mad Dog) is really impressed, even having to endure a
        week of misery listening to a rough mix!! I'm not overly impressed
        with Rock Hard Magazine who gave this cd a 7.5\10. Gotz the guy who
        wrote this told me years ago that our thrash was too intense, and
        that when we realize that you will put out a cd that is more true to
        your roots. We've done just that but the fool missed it, asking
        where's the thrash? The entire speed metal thrash thing is so full of
        bologny, even the people who like it aren't quite sure what's what.
        THERE ARE ONLY TWO KINDS OF MUSIC, THE KIND I LIKE AND THE KIND I
        DON'T LIKE AND THE SPEED OF THOSE SONGS HAVE NO IMPACT ON MY LIKING
        OR DISLIKING. This should be every metal heads moto, as it's the fans
        that have fragmented the genre of heavy metal. Get it together, one
        band is not better than another, just different.........one guitarist
        is not better than another just different. It is totally subjective,
        who are you asking? LONG LIVE ROCK AND ROLL
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 20, 2004
          Got my 2 copies of the Canadian (Galy Records) versions of the new CD!!
          My Massacre versions are on the way.
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 21, 2004
            We didn't receive anything yet, maybe Galbrek has it now because he
            ordered before Catdeli.

            Just curious...Tony, did you order "2 copies" from all the companies
            or just "2 from Galy" and "2 from Massacre" to have the DVDs? (I did
            bet money on that... :)

            Is there somebody that knows if with a DVD burner, we can change the
            type of a file on the DVD? Is the problem is with the whole DVD or
            the kind of file? I don't really know the DVD's concept.

            Thanks,

            tange
          • glabrek
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 21, 2004
              --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "tangelaine2000"
              <tangelaine2000@y...> wrote:
              > We didn't receive anything yet, maybe Galbrek has it now because he
              > ordered before Catdeli.
              >
              > Just curious...Tony, did you order "2 copies" from all the
              companies
              > or just "2 from Galy" and "2 from Massacre" to have the DVDs? (I
              did
              > bet money on that... :)
              >
              > Is there somebody that knows if with a DVD burner, we can change
              the
              > type of a file on the DVD? Is the problem is with the whole DVD or
              > the kind of file? I don't really know the DVD's concept.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > tange

              Yes, I did receive my Massacre version last Friday (got my order from
              The End in 10 days, which is excellent and faster than some previous
              times). My DVD player plays PAL stuff, so I was able to watch the
              DVD. The sound is excellent, better than I thought it would be.
              However, I have to say that the performance of the band was better
              and tighter when I saw them in Quebec City last year. I think Lips
              struggled a bit with his voice at that show and they also made some
              mistakes in Metal On Metal, where Rob didn't stop at the right
              time...I could also have lived without the part where Lips is
              masturbating the plastic dildo...Anyway, I enjoy to have an Anvil
              show to watch and most important, the Back To Basics album is getting
              even better and better the more I play it. BTW, is it just me, or
              the track The Chainsaw has parts that remind me a lot of Judas
              Priest's Rapid Fire (riffs and vocal melodies)? This is cool
              anyway. Gamma Ray has a song on their latest album, No World Order,
              called Solid, that sounds even more like Rapid Fire...Guess it was a
              track with some influence on the metal scene.

              Guillaume
              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 21, 2004
                >I could also have lived without the part where Lips is
                > masturbating the plastic dildo...

                It probably looks weird on a DVD, but live it was just great because
                it wasn't unpleasant. It's a vibrator and the sounds were just
                amazing, at the Cercle Electric "LIPS" had some smoke (or it was
                people making smoke...) and the whole thing was very discreet. In
                Europe, people have a different mind about those toys than we have.
                In the crowd we can't see all of what is happening live on a stage.
                You have the "headbangers" each side of you, and as I'm concerned I
                look at one musician at a time. On DVD, you are allowed to see all
                little mistakes because it's "TV". How's that yours can play PAL? You
                bought it like that, or you bought it in Germany?

                >Anyway, I enjoy to have an Anvil
                > show to watch and most important, the Back To Basics album is
                >getting
                > even better and better the more I play it.

                It's an awesome album for this reason I think, because it's rare
                that "more you play it, more you like it", now.

                BTW, is it just me, or
                > the track The Chainsaw has parts that remind me a lot of Judas
                > Priest's Rapid Fire (riffs and vocal melodies)? This is cool
                > anyway. Gamma Ray has a song on their latest album, No World
                Order,
                > called Solid, that sounds even more like Rapid Fire...Guess it was
                > track with some influence on the metal scene.

                It's not just "you". It's probably a very interesting Judas Priest
                song for the musicians (Rapid Fire). My fave on this one
                was "Grinder" and obviously "Living after midnight".

                tange
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 21, 2004
                  I will be ordering 2 copies from the other labels too?

                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 21, 2004
                    No..? I won 5$ If you have received the DVD and that you own also the
                    video cassette of this 1996 show, is the image better on DVD? What
                    kind of DVD do you have, please?

                    tange
                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 21, 2004
                      what did you bet exactly? I haven't ordered the US and Brazil versions
                      but I WILL be.

                      The DVD quality is great. I to have a VHS copy...it looks very good
                      but the DVD is better.

                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 22, 2004
                        Oh man! I give back the 5$ to CAt...What the heck are you going to do
                        with so many CDs? CAt told me that you would get 2 copies of each
                        record company and I answered:"He's a collector not a fanatic..."
                        Well, maybe you are :)

                        Good if the DVD looks better, we didn't buy the DVD player yet. When
                        we'll go we'll bring Waken's DVD to try it in the players. Lips and
                        his vibrator in the store, sure!

                        tange
                      • glabrek
                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 22, 2004
                          <tangelaine2000@y...> wrote:
                          > >I could also have lived without the part where Lips is
                          > > masturbating the plastic dildo...
                          >
                          > It probably looks weird on a DVD, but live it was just great
                          because
                          > it wasn't unpleasant. It's a vibrator and the sounds were just
                          > amazing, at the Cercle Electric "LIPS" had some smoke (or it was
                          > people making smoke...) and the whole thing was very discreet. In
                          > Europe, people have a different mind about those toys than we have.
                          > In the crowd we can't see all of what is happening live on a stage.
                          > You have the "headbangers" each side of you, and as I'm concerned I
                          > look at one musician at a time. On DVD, you are allowed to see all
                          > little mistakes because it's "TV". How's that yours can play PAL?
                          You
                          > bought it like that, or you bought it in Germany?

                          I bought it from my buddy who lives in New Hampshire. This is a
                          Daewoo that plays anything (Pal or NTSC) from any regions. Real nice.

                          > It's not just "you". It's probably a very interesting Judas Priest
                          > song for the musicians (Rapid Fire). My fave on this one
                          > was "Grinder" and obviously "Living after midnight".

                          That album is a classic. Grinder, Metal Gods, The Rage...Name them
                          all.

                          Guillaume
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 22, 2004
                            "British Steel"? It's not my favorite Guillaume...It's "Stained
                            Class"...there's not an album for me, that can replace it. It must be
                            the sound and the songs like "White heat, red
                            hot","Exciter","Invader", "Beyond the realms of death"......"Saints
                            in hell!". I can't get bored of this album. "British Steel" is
                            excellent too, but "Stained Class" and "Unleashed in the East" are
                            hard to kick.

                            tange

                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 22, 2004
                                I guess I'm a fanatic. I like to have one to open and one to leave
                                sealed. Plus it's good to have a backup. :)

                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 22, 2004
                                  I've always liked "Screaming For Vengeance"
                                • glabrek
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 22, 2004
                                    <tangelaine2000@y...> wrote:
                                    > "British Steel"? It's not my favorite Guillaume...It's "Stained
                                    > Class"...there's not an album for me, that can replace it. It must
                                    be
                                    > the sound and the songs like "White heat, red
                                    > hot","Exciter","Invader", "Beyond the realms of death"......"Saints
                                    > in hell!". I can't get bored of this album. "British Steel" is
                                    > excellent too, but "Stained Class" and "Unleashed in the East" are
                                    > hard to kick.
                                    >
                                    > tange

                                    Stained Class is a damned fine album too. But my fave JP albums are
                                    Screaming For Vengeance, British Steel, Defenders Of The Faith,
                                    Painkiller and Hell Bent For Leather. Sad Wings is excellent too.
                                    In fact, all JP albums are very good to excellent for me, save for
                                    the shitty Jugulator and Demolition, the "too light" Turbo, the
                                    average Ram It Down and the too rock'n'rollish Rocka Rolla.

                                    I can't wait to hear the new reunion album with Halford back.

                                    Guillaume
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 22, 2004
                                      Yup, Stained Class was my favorite JP also. When it came out we
                                      thought that it was the ultimate album of all time for Metal . I'm
                                      still not sick of it. I liked Sin After Sin a lot also and then Hell
                                      Bent...

                                      cAt
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Apr 22, 2004
                                        It's a great day because Catdeli and I are agree about music!! I like
                                        also "Screaming for Vengeance", because I saw the show in 1982. I
                                        didn't move during the whole show, even to get a beer. I was like @_@
                                        I had the metal gods in front of me and Halford is probably the best
                                        vocalist, performer that I've heard and seen live.

                                        In 1984, I was working in a bar (as a barmaid) with cover bands. I've
                                        heard nights after nights "You got another thing coming" and "Devil's
                                        child" because all the bands did the both songs. I can't pretend that
                                        it was "Halford" singing or "Tipton" at the guitar, ha? It was a real
                                        massacre and I think that I've lost interest about this album because
                                        of the cover bands...The albums that have followed SFV were
                                        too "studio" for me. I don't know how to explain...it was like
                                        everything was tricked or boosted by some computers or synthesizers.
                                        The JP that I preferred was far away.

                                        About "Painkiller", I've been deceived to see JP take some Pantera or
                                        Slayer's riff just to stay "in". They have adopted the music's styles
                                        of bands that they deeply influenced and I've lost "the faith" in the
                                        metal gods. But a JP's show was and will always be AWESOME.

                                        tange
                                      • glabrek
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Apr 23, 2004
                                          <tangelaine2000@y...> wrote:
                                          > It's a great day because Catdeli and I are agree about music!! I
                                          like
                                          > also "Screaming for Vengeance", because I saw the show in 1982. I
                                          > didn't move during the whole show, even to get a beer. I was like
                                          @_@
                                          > I had the metal gods in front of me and Halford is probably the
                                          best
                                          > vocalist, performer that I've heard and seen live.
                                          >
                                          > In 1984, I was working in a bar (as a barmaid) with cover bands.
                                          I've
                                          > heard nights after nights "You got another thing coming"
                                          and "Devil's
                                          > child" because all the bands did the both songs. I can't pretend
                                          that
                                          > it was "Halford" singing or "Tipton" at the guitar, ha? It was a
                                          real
                                          > massacre and I think that I've lost interest about this album
                                          because
                                          > of the cover bands...

                                          I'm sure that some cover bands butchered the JP songs back then.
                                          It's not everyone who can sing Halford (or Dio for example) tunes the
                                          right way. But a cover band like Headbangers in Quebec City does the
                                          Priest stuff really well, as they do for the Sabbath, Dio, Maiden,
                                          Metal Church, Metallica, Megadeth...Very good musicians.

                                          The albums that have followed SFV were
                                          > too "studio" for me. I don't know how to explain...it was like
                                          > everything was tricked or boosted by some computers or
                                          synthesizers.
                                          > The JP that I preferred was far away.

                                          This is not true for Defenders Of The Faith, which was pretty much in
                                          the same style as SfV and with some killer heavy songs like Freewheel
                                          Burning, The Sentinel.... This is true however for Turbo...

                                          > About "Painkiller", I've been deceived to see JP take some Pantera
                                          or
                                          > Slayer's riff just to stay "in". They have adopted the music's
                                          styles
                                          > of bands that they deeply influenced and I've lost "the faith" in
                                          the
                                          > metal gods.

                                          I never heard any Pantera of Slayer in Painkiller. Their goal was
                                          more to reach the European melodic power metal style a la Helloween
                                          or Gamma Ray than the US stuff. Painkiller influenced so many of the
                                          current European power metal bands like Primal Fear and the likes.
                                          Priest tried to adopt the Pantera style 7 years later, with the
                                          shitty Jugulator...

                                          But a JP's show was and will always be AWESOME.

                                          Only saw Priest live once, on that Painkiller tour in 1992 or so, and
                                          it ruled big time. Openers were Megadeth and Testament and it was
                                          great. Too bad the crowd was so small....I saw Halford (the band)
                                          live in 2000, opening for Maiden on the Brave New World tour and this
                                          was another great show. BTW, the double-live album Live Insurrection
                                          by the Halford band is a must-have IMO. Killer renditions of lots of
                                          Priest classics (Beyond the Realms Of Death, Running Wild, The
                                          Sentinel, Electric Eye, Breaking The Law...), as well as some great
                                          Halford trx, plus a couple ones from Fight.

                                          Guillaume
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Apr 23, 2004
                                            > I'm sure that some cover bands butchered the JP songs back then.
                                            > It's not everyone who can sing Halford (or Dio for example) tunes
                                            the
                                            > right way. But a cover band like Headbangers in Quebec City does
                                            the
                                            > Priest stuff really well, as they do for the Sabbath, Dio, Maiden,
                                            > Metal Church, Metallica, Megadeth...Very good musicians.

                                            Headbangers? Where were they? I've never heard of them when I was in
                                            QC City. I guess that they were playing "on your side of the river".

                                            Some cover bands were "criminal" with the original songs. At the "Bar
                                            Ô Coin" the bands slept over the bar and ate beside the bar. The
                                            owner was a MF and because of this, they were paid at a very low
                                            salary. This bar was so old and so small, but always full. 2/1 on the
                                            big beers on Tuesday! We were able to see all the electric wires over
                                            our heads and the emergency exit was always blocked by the amplifiers.

                                            Old table, old chair...It was called "Le Brumeau" in the 70's and has
                                            been the first bar with dancers (panties & covered nipples). I was on
                                            my day shift once and the owner asked me if I knew Anvil (1984). I
                                            answered: "Nooo....who are they?". "A big metal from Toronto, it will
                                            be full here and I could sell tickets at a high price!" I was looking
                                            around me and I answered:"They suck! I heard of them and they're not
                                            good at all..." I didn't want to see Anvil playing in that porchery,
                                            and it was a place for cover bands!!! @_@ Anvil here? Over my dead
                                            body!!

                                            I've seen them a month later in Bar L'aurée at St-Augustin. A place
                                            where it was possible to breath. My dear ex-MF-boss sold the whole
                                            piece of land for a very big amount and now there's stores at this
                                            place (Hamel blvd.). I was making 130$ of tips everynight + my
                                            salary...that why I was working there.

                                            I'm not a big CD's customer (I'm not but Catdeli is...) and I liked
                                            to download a song just to compare some styles. I'll be frank, I've
                                            never listen to Pantera except when "Cat scratch fever" played on
                                            98.1 FM. Helloween, I've heard of them when Tony posted a part of
                                            their lyrics that were a simple copy of "Shadow zone" from FiF. If
                                            you tell me that it's more like Helloween, I belive you.

                                            tange
                                          • glabrek
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Apr 23, 2004
                                              <tangelaine2000@y...> wrote:

                                              > > I'm sure that some cover bands butchered the JP songs back then.
                                              > > It's not everyone who can sing Halford (or Dio for example) tunes
                                              > the
                                              > > right way. But a cover band like Headbangers in Quebec City does
                                              > the
                                              > > Priest stuff really well, as they do for the Sabbath, Dio,
                                              Maiden,
                                              > > Metal Church, Metallica, Megadeth...Very good musicians.
                                              > >
                                              > Headbangers? Where were they? I've never heard of them when I was
                                              in
                                              > QC City. I guess that they were playing "on your side of the river".

                                              Nope. I go see Headbangers play at the Dagobert 3 times a year or
                                              so, with their "tribute to heavy metal 70-90 show". As the Dag don't
                                              advertise a lot (they don't need to, as the place is already very
                                              popular), it's no surprise you didn't learn about them playing...

                                              > Some cover bands were "criminal" with the original songs. At
                                              the "Bar
                                              > Ô Coin" the bands slept over the bar and ate beside the bar. The
                                              > owner was a MF and because of this, they were paid at a very low
                                              > salary. This bar was so old and so small, but always full. 2/1 on
                                              the
                                              > big beers on Tuesday! We were able to see all the electric wires
                                              over
                                              > our heads and the emergency exit was always blocked by the
                                              amplifiers.

                                              > Old table, old chair...It was called "Le Brumeau" in the 70's and
                                              has
                                              > been the first bar with dancers (panties & covered nipples). I was
                                              on
                                              > my day shift once and the owner asked me if I knew Anvil (1984). I
                                              > answered: "Nooo....who are they?". "A big metal from Toronto, it
                                              will
                                              > be full here and I could sell tickets at a high price!" I was
                                              looking
                                              > around me and I answered:"They suck! I heard of them and they're
                                              not
                                              > good at all..." I didn't want to see Anvil playing in that
                                              porchery,
                                              > and it was a place for cover bands!!! @_@ Anvil here? Over my dead
                                              > body!!

                                              I've been at the Bar O Coin only a couple times, seeing some local
                                              bands and Razor once. It was indeed very small...I really preferred
                                              the Bar Rock Rive-Sud 'on my side of the river' :o)

                                              > I've seen them a month later in Bar L'aurée at St-Augustin. A place
                                              > where it was possible to breath. My dear ex-MF-boss sold the whole
                                              > piece of land for a very big amount and now there's stores at this
                                              > place (Hamel blvd.). I was making 130$ of tips everynight + my
                                              > salary...that why I was working there.
                                              >
                                              > I'm not a big CD's customer (I'm not but Catdeli is...) and I liked
                                              > to download a song just to compare some styles. I'll be frank, I've
                                              > never listen to Pantera except when "Cat scratch fever" played on
                                              > 98.1 FM. Helloween, I've heard of them when Tony posted a part of
                                              > their lyrics that were a simple copy of "Shadow zone" from FiF. If
                                              > you tell me that it's more like Helloween, I belive you.

                                              Never heard Cat Scratch Fever by Pantera...BTW, just heard about a
                                              great show coming on August 11 at the Agora: DEEP PURPLE/THIN
                                              LIZZY/JOE SATRIANI. I'll be there for sure. I don'T care for
                                              Satriani but love DP and I'll be happy to finally see Lizzy live for
                                              the 1st time. I heard a live album from 2000 and John Sykes (and the
                                              whole band) delivers the Lynott stuff greatly. And heavier than it
                                              was back then, which is a good thing for me.

                                              Guillaume
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Apr 23, 2004
                                                Did you hear Cat Scratch as done by Motorhead? I say "Yuk!". When I
                                                saw MH in '92 I was at the front and they played it. I got mad!~ I
                                                yelled "Play MOTORHEAD songs!!!!". Cripes, I didn't go there to see
                                                cover songs from them, ya know? It was funny, the security was ready
                                                to take me out, I think...('shrooms)
                                                cAt
                                                Still waiting for my CD of BTB! grrrrrrrr......
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Apr 23, 2004
                                                  Pantera's cover from Cat scrach fever isn't "yuk", it is exactly the
                                                  same thing that the original! The only difference is the voice. I
                                                  found the mp3 and I tried to upload it here but the "Files" doesn't
                                                  take over 5 megs...I can't say it's bad, because I love the original
                                                  by Nugent.

                                                  They have decided to present some shows because I don't live in QC
                                                  City anymore? I heard that Priest would go too...(rumor)

                                                  A cover I like is Paint in black on HnH, because the beat, the sound,
                                                  the mood and the arrangement are different. I can't pretend
                                                  that "Wild eyes" made the same good effect, but at least it
                                                  wasn't "copies" of the original songs.

                                                  Catdeli arrested by the security...hmm. Jeez! The only times that
                                                  he's agressive it's on his drums.

                                                  I've read something interesting on a magazine (in English I checked a
                                                  lot more the pictures...) called "Classic Rock". This magazine is
                                                  printed in England and it's sold 7.95$ US. It was freaking just to
                                                  hold it. They wrote about the stories of the concepts of a couple
                                                  albums. A lot of progressive rock but the metal part was amazing for
                                                  me. First, I didn't know that "Operation: Mindcrime" was a concept,
                                                  because I didn't understand a word in English. Maybe it was also
                                                  because I didn't really like Queenryche (???) I didn't read the
                                                  lyrics in the cassette (1988)! WASP had "The Crimson Idol", I've
                                                  never listened to WASP. Savatage got "Streets" - A rock Opera".
                                                  Maiden did one too..."Seven son of a seven son". Now that I know that
                                                  there's a story about, I'm going to search for the lyrics and use
                                                  Babel the Fish if I get all mixed up in the languages.

                                                  There's 30 albums described in this magazine. We don't hear a lot
                                                  about concept in rock or metal music now...

                                                  tange
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Apr 23, 2004
                                                    Oh my God, Tange! W.A.S.P. has done it again! Yes, they have another
                                                    concept album out now, "The Neon God, part 1". part 2 will come
                                                    soon....AnViL will begin their Rock Opera soon, I heard!

                                                    cAt
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jan 23, 2005
                                                      BACK TO BASICS has just been released in Brazil by Hellion Records. It
                                                      includes the bonus DVD.