Back To Basics.....Hmmm

  • thehelion
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15 3:42 PM
      Ok. I heard the new cd last night for about 3 or 4 times. I have to
      say that the sound is fine but it's also a sound that might not be
      for everyone. If Speed of Sound, Plugged and Absolutely are your
      faves then this might not satisfy you. This cd has power but not
      necessarily the speed. This is exactly what the band was trying to
      set out to accomplish on this cd, 80s feel. If you like bands like
      Priest, Motorhead and other powerful bands then this will be a great
      cd for you. I love it. "Bottom Feeder" is probably my fave though.
      The other thing that I noticed with this cd is that there isn't any
      one or two songs that stand out as better than the rest like SGS.
      With SGS you had "Still Going Strong" and "Race Against Time" really
      standing ahead of the rest but you won't find that on this cd. You
      have to also remember that with Anvil being around for so long now
      they also have fans that like different points in the bands career.
      Some of the Anvil fans I'm sure hate Metal on Metal while others
      might not like the "speed" era too much. What I love about this cd is
      that the band did what they wanted to do and did it properly. "Back
      to Basics" is the perfect title for it. Good Job Boys. Nice photos
      too...LOL
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 15 4:09 PM
        OK! Now the reviews will start pouring in. (My review copy must be
        still in the mail?);^D
        Well, it sounds like we can all look forward to a fresh blast of
        classic style power metal, eh? Great but the end of March is a long
        ways off still,,,grrrrrr!

        Catdeli
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 15 4:32 PM
          It's so nice to read your opinion...because I don't like Speed Metal. I tried, but an hour a week is the most that I can take.

          You're absolutely right about the fact that the Anvil's fans got their own preferences about the albums. I like songs that are not really "recognized" by some fans. "Concrete Jungle" is one of them. A song that can makes me imagine a situation even I don't understand a word (in 1988 I didn't speak a word in English) is going to please me.

          "Concrete Jungle" would be a perfect song to introduce a police TV series (like NYPD Blue). When the music inspires images or situations in my mind, I think it's a very good song. With Speed Metal, I don't even have the time to get some "thoughts". Maybe a year ago, I've read Concrete Jungle's lyrics on Tony's site and the lyrics were fitting with what the music inspired in me. Great...If there's a lot of melodies, for sure I will love this CD!

          The reviewers are going to fall on their asses! I can't wait to hear BTB and to read the stupids things that those "experts" are going to write about it!.

          Tange :^)

        • thehelion
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 15 8:03 PM
            Tange "Concrete Jungle" is one of my faves too. It was always a great
            song live as well. The song that really sounded better live than on
            the cd was "Cutloose". That song sounded much heavier and great live.-
            -- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "@ T @" <tangelaine2000@y...>