Re: [Academy of Anvil] I"m Still Watching the board!!!

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15, 2004
      The years go by, we changed...but we always still stay "a bit" the same! Lips, even you say that you don't mind if we're going to like it or not that cd: I think that you care! People are sometimes like "lambs", they follow the other's taste. It has always been...Our old friends just don't want to get old :) They want you to stay like you were "20 years ago". Not for you, for themselves.

      "Back to basics" can mean a lot of things. In the early years, you were making the music that you wanted to do. You did exactly the same thing with this new album, no? The most important also are your influences and your inspiration. If you felt to make some "melodic" ballads, if you felt to do the things a different way than usual...well you're back to the basics. The basic...is the inspiration. I like melodic, prog and other kind of music, it doesn't bother me that Anvil has changed a bit on this album...if the sound is good! :0)

      Whatever your friends, your fans or the reviewers will tell album this album: the way you feel about it is a lot more important. About the hit single: if Anvil had one just ONCE, I wouldn't be a fan! I was so afraid that "Stop me" or "Make it all up to you" could play on the radio...erk! Mustaine took a flop & drop when he made a commercial song...forget the "Hit single" please!

      I wasn't like Mickey Mouse when I burned my first CDs. I was looking a lot more like Jack Nicholson in "Shining", believe me... I respect the Copyrights, but I burned some old stuff for my parents (Buddy Holly, Four Aces, Nancy Sinatra....Neil Diamond, etc.)...mp3s. What I prefer is to create the covers! As I can't create one like "BTB" (awesome!), I don't have any interest to burn the cd, and I hope that no one will burn the cd!

      Your birthday is soon, Lips? :)

      To be integrate and faithfull to themselves, are the qualities of greats musicians.

      March is coming, be patient ... lol

      Tange

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 15, 2004
        To me AnViL sounds like AnViL, has always sounded like AnViL and will
        always sound like AnViL. Go thru the years and pick any album from
        any time - it's AnViL. When SOS came out, I remember playing it a lot
        and saying, "Yup, more great AnViL stuff!". In fact, I'm playing it
        now and it still gets my head a-bangin' as they all do. So, subtle
        changes in style are not going to alter the basic AnVil sound. It's
        who they are and it's how they play so I never understood fans saying
        that they didn't care for such and such an AnViL album as much as the
        others because they are all still AnViL Metal to me. My point being
        I'm not worried that BTB will be a big, radical departure from the
        AnViL style and sound and if it is, so what? The band are artists as
        opposed to commercial "it's a job" songwriters and their art will be
        as it will be at this moment. Pure and from the gut,,,not contrived
        and designed to sell to the teenybop masses.

        Catdeli
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 15, 2004
          --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, anvilips2000 <no_reply@y...>
          wrote:
          > It's been so quiet lately, even I'm posting something, happy
          > valentines day to those Anvil fans that might be lucky enough to
          have
          > someone to share it with.
          > The new cd is coming soon, I've burned a few copies to give to
          > some of our closest friends, everyone except for Mad Dog Colin
          Brown
> [...]
          you
          > can get a bad burn,lol, When we first came home from the studio
          after
          > Still Going Strong we only had 1 master copy , so Robb went over to
          > our friends place who is the guy I bought my computer from! and he
          > burned me a bad copy. I went wacko, I thought for sure the master
          > recording was no good. The next day we re burned it and of course
          it
          > was fine. When I did Colins copy it was before I realized you
          should
          > use as slow a speed as possible to get a good reproduction, I used
          > the fastest that the computer would go, and at the end of the burn
          it
          > said on my screen over run avoided 16X. I've since found out that's
          > not a good sign, so when I do a slow burn that message doesn't
          appear
          > at all. For some of you this is real Mickey Mouse but for me it's
          > still all quite new. If you've never heard a bad copy, it sounds
          very
          > thin not much bass and the trebles sound slightly distorted, it
          would
          > be obvious to me know but if you were computer illiterate like I
          was
          > and Mad Dog still is you'd think the band has lost thier minds in
          > thinking it's ok. In actuality the new cd is one of the clearest
          and
          > most powerful we've ever done. The songs are extremely varried in
          > style, key, and tempo. The title of the cd really is exact in
          > describing what it sounds like. It will give you a nostalgic
          feeling
          > as we use only influences from the past. My target was to write a
          cd
          > as if it were 1982 again. In doing this you must try to forget all
          > that you've heard since! Don't misunderstand me when I say it will
          > please most of our fans that we sound like the good ol days but I
          > know that some songs will be enjoyed more than others and we will
          > continue to confuse and amaze you at the same time. The same old
          > arguementive stuff, your favourite is not the same as mine or the
          > next guys either! This is the kind of reaction that is very typical
          > of Anvil music, and until we all agree Anvil will probably never be
          > big time success. This has been our strongest point , in the way we
          > can be so many different things, but our weekest at the same time
          > because we really should be sort of one thing that everyone likes,
          > example being ACDC, Motorhead, Slayer. These bands in a general way
          > make songs that all sound simular, and have been repeating
          themselves
          > for years, and have been very successsful and this is what I mean
          by
          > being unidirectional as opposed to the multifaceted ANVIL. I can't
          > help but to be me like it or not, and I don't appologize for it,
          I'm
          > proud of it, and I don't care about being a success like those of
          the
          > unidirectional type. To make it on my terms is the only way to
          become
          > a star for me because I absolutely refuse to conform and become a
          one
          > song band. Having said that, I think I've writen and recorded over
          > 120 songs at this point and STILL NO HIT SINGLE

          NO hit single? Who knows, these days with bands that actually rock -
          The Darkness for example - making a bit of headway on radio and MTV,
          I think it may just be possible for you guys to have one, no? Will
          there be a track pressed as a CD single and sent to radio? They
          should because you never know what will catch the programmer's ears.
          My little indie band had a bit of a "hit single" this past summer. We
          sent some songs to radio and one popular station began to play our
          song, "Wooden Legs & Real Feet". Great! Maybe we will sell some CDs,
          Right? NOPE, because the studio where we recorded our album went
          belly up, the producer flipped out and went missing. Later we learned
          that he had sold all of his recording gear (along with our songs
          still on his hard drive!) and he is spending his time fishing and
          installing hardwood floors! So now we have no product on the shelves
          and our CD then got picked as #8 release of 2003 in a NY arts
          newspaper and we still have NO CDs to sell. The problems of making
          music are universal, it seems, from small-time bands to more
          professional acts like AnViL.
          I have seen that the many rock and metal websites and magazines are
          all primed for this BTB release more than usual. Awareness of AnViL
          is higher now and I feel that something good will happen with this
          next CD. Bring it on!

          Catdeli again