I"m Still Watching the board!!!

  • anvilips2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14, 2004
      It's been so quiet lately, even I'm posting something, happy
      valentines day to those Anvil fans that might be lucky enough to have
      someone to share it with.
      The new cd is coming soon, I've burned a few copies to give to
      some of our closest friends, everyone except for Mad Dog Colin Brown
      loves it. I think I gave a bad copy to him but because of his own
      poor atitude I won't give him another copy. He won't believe that you
      can get a bad burn,lol, When we first came home from the studio after
      Still Going Strong we only had 1 master copy , so Robb went over to
      our friends place who is the guy I bought my computer from! and he
      burned me a bad copy. I went wacko, I thought for sure the master
      recording was no good. The next day we re burned it and of course it
      was fine. When I did Colins copy it was before I realized you should
      use as slow a speed as possible to get a good reproduction, I used
      the fastest that the computer would go, and at the end of the burn it
      said on my screen over run avoided 16X. I've since found out that's
      not a good sign, so when I do a slow burn that message doesn't appear
      at all. For some of you this is real Mickey Mouse but for me it's
      still all quite new. If you've never heard a bad copy, it sounds very
      thin not much bass and the trebles sound slightly distorted, it would
      be obvious to me know but if you were computer illiterate like I was
      and Mad Dog still is you'd think the band has lost thier minds in
      thinking it's ok. In actuality the new cd is one of the clearest and
      most powerful we've ever done. The songs are extremely varried in
      style, key, and tempo. The title of the cd really is exact in
      describing what it sounds like. It will give you a nostalgic feeling
      as we use only influences from the past. My target was to write a cd
      as if it were 1982 again. In doing this you must try to forget all
      that you've heard since! Don't misunderstand me when I say it will
      please most of our fans that we sound like the good ol days but I
      know that some songs will be enjoyed more than others and we will
      continue to confuse and amaze you at the same time. The same old
      arguementive stuff, your favourite is not the same as mine or the
      next guys either! This is the kind of reaction that is very typical
      of Anvil music, and until we all agree Anvil will probably never be a
      big time success. This has been our strongest point , in the way we
      can be so many different things, but our weekest at the same time
      because we really should be sort of one thing that everyone likes,
      example being ACDC, Motorhead, Slayer. These bands in a general way
      make songs that all sound simular, and have been repeating themselves
      for years, and have been very successsful and this is what I mean by
      being unidirectional as opposed to the multifaceted ANVIL. I can't
      help but to be me like it or not, and I don't appologize for it, I'm
      proud of it, and I don't care about being a success like those of the
      unidirectional type. To make it on my terms is the only way to become
      a star for me because I absolutely refuse to conform and become a one
      song band. Having said that, I think I've writen and recorded over
      120 songs at this point and STILL NO HIT SINGLE
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 15, 2004
        The years go by, we changed...but we always still stay "a bit" the same! Lips, even you say that you don't mind if we're going to like it or not that cd: I think that you care! People are sometimes like "lambs", they follow the other's taste. It has always been...Our old friends just don't want to get old :) They want you to stay like you were "20 years ago". Not for you, for themselves.

        "Back to basics" can mean a lot of things. In the early years, you were making the music that you wanted to do. You did exactly the same thing with this new album, no? The most important also are your influences and your inspiration. If you felt to make some "melodic" ballads, if you felt to do the things a different way than usual...well you're back to the basics. The basic...is the inspiration. I like melodic, prog and other kind of music, it doesn't bother me that Anvil has changed a bit on this album...if the sound is good! :0)

        Whatever your friends, your fans or the reviewers will tell album this album: the way you feel about it is a lot more important. About the hit single: if Anvil had one just ONCE, I wouldn't be a fan! I was so afraid that "Stop me" or "Make it all up to you" could play on the radio...erk! Mustaine took a flop & drop when he made a commercial song...forget the "Hit single" please!

        I wasn't like Mickey Mouse when I burned my first CDs. I was looking a lot more like Jack Nicholson in "Shining", believe me... I respect the Copyrights, but I burned some old stuff for my parents (Buddy Holly, Four Aces, Nancy Sinatra....Neil Diamond, etc.)...mp3s. What I prefer is to create the covers! As I can't create one like "BTB" (awesome!), I don't have any interest to burn the cd, and I hope that no one will burn the cd!

        Your birthday is soon, Lips? :)

        To be integrate and faithfull to themselves, are the qualities of greats musicians.

        March is coming, be patient ... lol

        Tange

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 15, 2004
          To me AnViL sounds like AnViL, has always sounded like AnViL and will
          always sound like AnViL. Go thru the years and pick any album from
          any time - it's AnViL. When SOS came out, I remember playing it a lot
          and saying, "Yup, more great AnViL stuff!". In fact, I'm playing it
          now and it still gets my head a-bangin' as they all do. So, subtle
          changes in style are not going to alter the basic AnVil sound. It's
          who they are and it's how they play so I never understood fans saying
          that they didn't care for such and such an AnViL album as much as the
          others because they are all still AnViL Metal to me. My point being
          I'm not worried that BTB will be a big, radical departure from the
          AnViL style and sound and if it is, so what? The band are artists as
          opposed to commercial "it's a job" songwriters and their art will be
          as it will be at this moment. Pure and from the gut,,,not contrived
          and designed to sell to the teenybop masses.

          Catdeli
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 15, 2004
            --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, anvilips2000 <no_reply@y...>
            wrote:
> [...]
            > example being ACDC, Motorhead, Slayer. These bands in a general way
            > make songs that all sound simular, and have been repeating
            themselves
            > for years, and have been very successsful and this is what I mean
            by
            > being unidirectional as opposed to the multifaceted ANVIL. I can't
            > help but to be me like it or not, and I don't appologize for it,
            I'm
            > proud of it, and I don't care about being a success like those of
            the
            > unidirectional type. To make it on my terms is the only way to
            become
            > a star for me because I absolutely refuse to conform and become a
            one
            > song band. Having said that, I think I've writen and recorded over
            > 120 songs at this point and STILL NO HIT SINGLE

            NO hit single? Who knows, these days with bands that actually rock -
            The Darkness for example - making a bit of headway on radio and MTV,
            I think it may just be possible for you guys to have one, no? Will
            there be a track pressed as a CD single and sent to radio? They
            should because you never know what will catch the programmer's ears.
            My little indie band had a bit of a "hit single" this past summer. We
            sent some songs to radio and one popular station began to play our
            song, "Wooden Legs & Real Feet". Great! Maybe we will sell some CDs,
            Right? NOPE, because the studio where we recorded our album went
            belly up, the producer flipped out and went missing. Later we learned
            that he had sold all of his recording gear (along with our songs
            still on his hard drive!) and he is spending his time fishing and
            installing hardwood floors! So now we have no product on the shelves
            and our CD then got picked as #8 release of 2003 in a NY arts
            newspaper and we still have NO CDs to sell. The problems of making
            music are universal, it seems, from small-time bands to more
            professional acts like AnViL.
            I have seen that the many rock and metal websites and magazines are
            all primed for this BTB release more than usual. Awareness of AnViL
            is higher now and I feel that something good will happen with this
            next CD. Bring it on!

            Catdeli again