  • Tange
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 28, 2003
      I'm not going to make some friends writing this. But, it's not to be
      unpleasant if I tell my mind, now. I've read the new interview on the
      Official web site and I was a lot surprised of the "spirit" of it.
      Normally, an interview is supposed to promote or to represent a band.
      Well I don't know what was wrong with Lips the day that he answered
      to these questions and I don't want to know! He's got the right to
      have his own moods and I respect that. I've never heard Lips telling
      that he "hated" something...

      STEVE: Did you play or do you play ice hockey? Which is your NHL
      fave?
      LIPS: I hate hockey.

      It's too bad cos it's a sport that is practiced in Canada, Germany,
      Russia and now in Japan… (???) How many metal fans practice this
      sport as a hobby to be in shape? But…"Back to Basics" will be
      released at the Spring, the season will be almost over: except the
      play offs will be on TV. Did I get old or I heard Lips talking about
      Montreal's Canadians and Toronto's Maple Leafs at the PowerPack in
      Montreal ? In Quebec City also ant it was to introduce "Blood on the
      ice"…I must be confused, jeez!

      STEVE: What you will make when ANVIL will not exist more?
      LIPS: I will become a decomposer or a florist and push up flowers
      from my grave.

      It's the joy, ha? Have some prozac, people!

      STEVE: Have you ever thought to leave everything?
      LIPS: Yes but there is nowhere to run.

      That's why the metalheads will be fighting at the bar's doors where
      Anvil will play and to get the CD "Back to Basics". The whole
      interview is a mistake and it can happens to anybody to not be in a
      mood to answer to an interview…but is that necessary to publish it?
      Like:

      STEVE: Which is your heavy metal dream?
      LIPS: To be able to record my CDs without having to watch the clock.

      "To be cheap or not to be cheap". The album cover is awesome, but
      Lips watches the clock to record, yup…

      STEVE: What was the dark/sad period of ANVIL history?
      LIPS: All of it!!!!!!!!!!

      It must be Anvil way to tell us that they appreciate us, after all
      these years? I know it's not... and I know that Lips didn't want to
      look that severe. Jeez…I don't know what to say about it.

      Tange
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 28, 2003
        > Well I don't know what was wrong with Lips the day that he answered
        > to these questions and I don't want to know! He's got the right to
        > have his own moods and I respect that. I've never heard Lips telling
        > that he "hated" something...
        >
        > STEVE: Did you play or do you play ice hockey? Which is your NHL
        > fave?
        > LIPS: I hate hockey.

        I hate hockey too.
        Actually Lips' wife teases him for writing a song about hockey even
        though he hates it.
        Brian Slagel (owner of Metal Blade Records) is a huge hockey fan. I I
        heard that since Anvil was on Metal Blade at the time, Lips wrote it
        for him.

        > STEVE: What you will make when ANVIL will not exist more?
        > LIPS: I will become a decomposer or a florist and push up flowers
        > from my grave.

        He's saying Anvil will exist until he dies.

        > STEVE: Have you ever thought to leave everything?
        > LIPS: Yes but there is nowhere to run.

        He's saying that making music is all he can do. It what he is all about.
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 28, 2003
          Thanks for the interpretations, Tony. The meanings of these answers
          at first went right over my head. They did appear to be bored,
          sarcastic answers. And I speak English as my first language. Imagine
          some Italian(or French?) speaking people reading it! They will maybe
          think that Lips was depressed. It's tuff to only be able to read
          words on a page because the true meaning is easily lost without the
          necessary vocal inflections and seeing the looks on the face of the
          speaker. The one sentence answers made it look like Lips was bored to
          answer, as Tange noted. Taken as a whole though, the interview has a
          flow to it and the answers are not really too bad. They just need a
          little bit of elaboration by Lips to avoid these misunderstandings by
          readers. And also perhaps some answers were edited down by the
          publisher. We don't know if this happened either.

          Bye!
          cAtdeli(who LOVES hockey!)
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 28, 2003
            Thank you Tony, I didn't know all that.

            Tange

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 28, 2003
              If I tell you all that I hate hockey, you would say: "It's normal, she's a woman". But if I elaborate and tell you why I hate hockey, you won't think the same at all. I'm from a hockey players family, and unhappily my nephew is in the Junior league and is a hope for NHL. It's a tradition... I have 2 sisters and I'm in the middle.

              My father wanted a "boy" as a second child, and decided as I was very young that I would play hockey anyway...I had short hair until 8 years old and my skates were some boy's skates with a white shoe's stuff on it. I skated like a boy and my nickname at school was "Tom boy". There were no "girl's teams" in 1969. I liked the sport, but I didn't like to be a part of the other kids.

              Every damn party that we had during the holidays, the men were yelling (swearing) if a hockey game was on TV. My Uncles became monsters just because of a puck...When the holidays were finished, I was so shy to return to school because in January & February the weekly sport was to skate outside on Friday afternoon. I've been insulted in a cruel language and I cried often, but it was so cold that my tears stayed icy on my cheeks. They were fuckin lucky that I didn't have my PMS at this time! Hey.....

              But when I say that I hate hockey, believe me....I really hate it. But now, you all know that it's not only because I'm a woman.

              At 10, I was longhaired and at 11 years old, I was going out with a musician. I LOVE music! It's a chance that it exists. Each song can remind me a part of my life, a melody can make me travel in time. It must be great to play music...instead playin hockey! I prefer thinking about what I like instead what I hate.

              tange