[Academy of Anvil] Re: Nektar Budgie Camel

  • Elaine
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
      There's no deal and it's just too bad. Henderson takes care of a
      magazine "Bw&Bk" and if I'm not wrong this magazine belongs to the
      owner of all CD's stores HMV (biggest in Canada). I've never found an
      Anvil's album in one of those stores. Maybe HnH, MoM, and FiF when
      Attic has been sold. However, "MUSIC WORLD" sells 24.99 "Still going
      Strong" with a sticker on it: IMPORT. We all know that Anvil makes
      business with Massacre. Which kid will buy a CD at this price + the
      taxes?

      If Henderson would stop to publish his stupid stuff about Sharon
      Ozbourne and Glen Hugues (they are not Canadians) and would plan an
      article for Anvil it would help them in many ways. They show "RuSh"
      on the cover cos it sells well! Probably that with a North American
      label, the CD wouldn't be an "IMPORT" that costs 24.99 + taxes. They
      would probably get many gigs and...then, maybe they would find the
      time to go on some South American beaches. It's a weel that
      turns...unhappily.

      nite!

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
        Tim works for HMV...he owns BW&BK..HMV does not.

        From the same interview:

        "What is the connection between the magazine and the HMV chain? More
        specifically have you been subsidized by them?"

        TIM: The connection is the fact that I am the metal guy who works
        there. HMV helps with the distribution. I don't want to discredit HMV.
        I have had many mentors there, but the reason I have kept some HMV
        contact information in there is to help us sell the magazine. On the
        other hand people at other record chains have viewed the magazine as
        belonging to HMV which is the biggest fucking farce because my head
        office has nothing to do with it. It's something you would think they
        could run with, it's the biggest selling magazine across the country
        there, but in a marketing sense we don't work together. It's partly my
        fault because I am not knocking on doors, but they certainly are not
        knocking on mine.

        --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "Elaine" <tangelaine2000@y...>
        wrote:
        > There's no deal and it's just too bad. Henderson takes care of a
        > magazine "Bw&Bk" and if I'm not wrong this magazine belongs to the
        > owner of all CD's stores HMV (biggest in Canada).
      • glabrek
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
          wrote:
          > There's no deal and it's just too bad. Henderson takes care of a
          > magazine "Bw&Bk" and if I'm not wrong this magazine belongs to the
          > owner of all CD's stores HMV (biggest in Canada). I've never found
          an
          > Anvil's album in one of those stores. Maybe HnH, MoM, and FiF when
          > Attic has been sold. However, "MUSIC WORLD" sells 24.99 "Still
          going
          > Strong" with a sticker on it: IMPORT. We all know that Anvil makes
          > business with Massacre. Which kid will buy a CD at this price + the
          > taxes?
          >
          > If Henderson would stop to publish his stupid stuff about Sharon
          > Ozbourne and Glen Hugues (they are not Canadians) and would plan an
          > article for Anvil it would help them in many ways. They show "RuSh"
          > on the cover cos it sells well! Probably that with a North American
          > label, the CD wouldn't be an "IMPORT" that costs 24.99 + taxes.
          They
          > would probably get many gigs and...then, maybe they would find the
          > time to go on some South American beaches. It's a weel that
          > turns...unhappily.
          >
          > nite!

          Hey, I'm interested in the Glenn Hughes stories...The guy is a legend
          in the rock/hard rock style and he's interesting to read about IMO.
          I agree that BW&BK should talk more about Anvil, but if they only
          relied on Canadian metal bands, the mag would be dead for long...How
          many good real Canadian metal bands are remaining? Anvil, Hanker,
          Voivod...

          BTW, I'd also like Anvil to get a Canadian record deal, but let it be
          known that for me HMV are thieves that sell most of the metal CDs,
          even the domestic copies, at about $24 or $25 CAN (+ taxes). Sure,
          when a CD is just being released, they sell it about $17 or $18, but
          as soon as it gets a bit older, the "normal" price of $23 or $24 or
          $25 appear...That's why I buy all my stuff from online mail-order
          stores like Then End Records, who sell around $12 to $14 US, with
          only $1 for shipping, making me pay my brand new CDs for about $17 to
          $20 CAN, all inclueded. I also buy some on Ebay, at great prices
          most of the times.

          Guillaume
        • Elaine
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
            It's not because I don't like what Glen Hugues does now musically
            that BW is going to change their ways. The "Rolling Stone Magazine"
            is not interesting anymore, the half of it is full of adds and is
            about Christina "Laguedouna" or "M&N". We don't have a big choice
            with the rock magazines like before. The ones that stayed got the
            power.

            Record Stores: they're thiefs and you're unhappily right. The
            recording companies cry about the CD's copies and the mp3's traffic
            on the net. The last Anvil's album that I bought was Past and Present
            (vinyl): I paid what? $13.99..."Worth the Weight" (CD): I paid
            $22.99. The CD changed the sound of all the recordings. The needle on
            a turn table (sorry if it's not the right word -- I don't know it)
            doesn't read the music like a laser on a metallic disc. The sound is
            clearer and the bass doesn't increase the songs like on a vinyl...A
            CD compared to a vinyl can actually hold more information so they say
            it sounds fuller and more natural. In fact, they sell us crap for at
            a bigger price.

            It helped me to understand why in 1983 "Forged in Fire" has not been
            well quoted by the reviewers. The LP was recorded to sound like a CD,
            and people wasn't used to it at this period. Now, weirdly FiF is the
            album that everyone associates to Anvil . Probably because the sound
            is more familiar now. How much cost a LP now when you order
            one...Tony? I guess it's expensive too. They thought about
            collectors...hey! It makes me feel old when I remember that I bought
            Black Sabbath "Sabbath bloody Sabbath" for $7.99, it sounds like when
            my mother tells me that she bought butter for 50 cents.