[Academy of Anvil] Re: Nektar Budgie Camel

  • wipy1999
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
      I still Can Not figure out this whole Tim Henderson deal?????-- In
      academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "@ T @" <tangelaine2000@y...> wrote:
      > I think that the most important for now, it's that they finish to
      record their albums and that Henderson give them an article in Bw&Bk
      when it will be release. Without any promotion, forget South America,
      Europe and Brazil.

      > wipy1999 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:When will Budgie play
      South America??? Will Anvil make it to Brazil
      > in 2004 or 2005????--- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, catdeli
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > I'm pissed that I never got to see Budgie, dammit!!!
      > > I know that they have toured over here in the states before but
      > when?
      > > I think they used to do a show or two in Texas each year recently
      > for
      > > some reason. All their stuff is great and when they came back in
      > the
      > > 80's with Power Supply it was a great return but then they really
      > got
      > > too keyboardy-commercial for my taste after that.
      > > Camel I saw open for BOC in NYC for their first LP, Mirage. That
      > was
      > > a good band and seeing them made me a fan. I bought most of their
      > > albums, too.
      > > Nektar I know I saw a couple times, one memorable show opening
      for
      > > BeBop Deluxe in '76 and they had the whole trippy lightshow thing
      > > going on. "Magic Is A Child" was my favorite of theirs and I
      always
      > > play the first song on there near Xmas because the opening has a
      > > total Xmas mood to it.
      > > Next week MSG is playing within driving distance here and I MUST
      > go!
      > > It has beeen too long since my last dose of SCHENKER live.
      > >
      > > carry on,
      > > catdeli
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
      > var lrec_target="_top"; var lrec_URL = new Array(); lrec_URL[1]
      = "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cb1c09b/M=266849.4205059.5406854.3959228/
      D=egroupweb/S=1705024748:HM/EXP=1070557446/A=1878653/R=0/id=flashurl/*
      http://enrique.launch.yahoo.com"; var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow
      (1)"; var lrec_flashfile
      = 'http://us.yimg.com/a/la/launch/111903_LREC_AC_enrique_legal.swf?
      clickTAG='+link+''; var lrec_altURL
      = "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cb1c09b/M=266849.4205059.5406854.3959228/
      D=egroupweb/S=1705024748:HM/EXP=1070557446/A=1878653/R=1/id=altimgurl/
      *http://enrique.launch.yahoo.com"; var lrec_altimg
      = "http://us.yimg.com/a/la/launch/111903_LREC_AC_enrique_legal.gif";
      var lrec_width = 300; var lrec_height = 250;

      Service.

      > tangelaine2000@y...

    • Elaine
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
        There's no deal and it's just too bad. Henderson takes care of a
        magazine "Bw&Bk" and if I'm not wrong this magazine belongs to the
        owner of all CD's stores HMV (biggest in Canada). I've never found an
        Anvil's album in one of those stores. Maybe HnH, MoM, and FiF when
        Attic has been sold. However, "MUSIC WORLD" sells 24.99 "Still going
        Strong" with a sticker on it: IMPORT. We all know that Anvil makes
        business with Massacre. Which kid will buy a CD at this price + the
        taxes?

        If Henderson would stop to publish his stupid stuff about Sharon
        Ozbourne and Glen Hugues (they are not Canadians) and would plan an
        article for Anvil it would help them in many ways. They show "RuSh"
        on the cover cos it sells well! Probably that with a North American
        label, the CD wouldn't be an "IMPORT" that costs 24.99 + taxes. They
        would probably get many gigs and...then, maybe they would find the
        time to go on some South American beaches. It's a weel that
        turns...unhappily.

        nite!

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
          Tim works for HMV...he owns BW&BK..HMV does not.

          From the same interview:

          "What is the connection between the magazine and the HMV chain? More
          specifically have you been subsidized by them?"

          TIM: The connection is the fact that I am the metal guy who works
          there. HMV helps with the distribution. I don't want to discredit HMV.
          I have had many mentors there, but the reason I have kept some HMV
          contact information in there is to help us sell the magazine. On the
          other hand people at other record chains have viewed the magazine as
          belonging to HMV which is the biggest fucking farce because my head
          office has nothing to do with it. It's something you would think they
          could run with, it's the biggest selling magazine across the country
          there, but in a marketing sense we don't work together. It's partly my
          fault because I am not knocking on doors, but they certainly are not
          knocking on mine.

          --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "Elaine" <tangelaine2000@y...>
          wrote:
          > There's no deal and it's just too bad. Henderson takes care of a
          > magazine "Bw&Bk" and if I'm not wrong this magazine belongs to the
          > owner of all CD's stores HMV (biggest in Canada).
        • glabrek
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
            wrote:
            > There's no deal and it's just too bad. Henderson takes care of a
            > magazine "Bw&Bk" and if I'm not wrong this magazine belongs to the
            > owner of all CD's stores HMV (biggest in Canada). I've never found
            an
            > Anvil's album in one of those stores. Maybe HnH, MoM, and FiF when
            > Attic has been sold. However, "MUSIC WORLD" sells 24.99 "Still
            going
            > Strong" with a sticker on it: IMPORT. We all know that Anvil makes
            > business with Massacre. Which kid will buy a CD at this price + the
            > taxes?
            >
            > If Henderson would stop to publish his stupid stuff about Sharon
            > Ozbourne and Glen Hugues (they are not Canadians) and would plan an
            > article for Anvil it would help them in many ways. They show "RuSh"
            > on the cover cos it sells well! Probably that with a North American
            > label, the CD wouldn't be an "IMPORT" that costs 24.99 + taxes.
            They
            > would probably get many gigs and...then, maybe they would find the
            > time to go on some South American beaches. It's a weel that
            > turns...unhappily.
            >
            > nite!

            Hey, I'm interested in the Glenn Hughes stories...The guy is a legend
            in the rock/hard rock style and he's interesting to read about IMO.
            I agree that BW&BK should talk more about Anvil, but if they only
            relied on Canadian metal bands, the mag would be dead for long...How
            many good real Canadian metal bands are remaining? Anvil, Hanker,
            Voivod...

            BTW, I'd also like Anvil to get a Canadian record deal, but let it be
            known that for me HMV are thieves that sell most of the metal CDs,
            even the domestic copies, at about $24 or $25 CAN (+ taxes). Sure,
            when a CD is just being released, they sell it about $17 or $18, but
            as soon as it gets a bit older, the "normal" price of $23 or $24 or
            $25 appear...That's why I buy all my stuff from online mail-order
            stores like Then End Records, who sell around $12 to $14 US, with
            only $1 for shipping, making me pay my brand new CDs for about $17 to
            $20 CAN, all inclueded. I also buy some on Ebay, at great prices
            most of the times.

            Guillaume
          • Elaine
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
              It's not because I don't like what Glen Hugues does now musically
              that BW is going to change their ways. The "Rolling Stone Magazine"
              is not interesting anymore, the half of it is full of adds and is
              about Christina "Laguedouna" or "M&N". We don't have a big choice
              with the rock magazines like before. The ones that stayed got the
              power.

              Record Stores: they're thiefs and you're unhappily right. The
              recording companies cry about the CD's copies and the mp3's traffic
              on the net. The last Anvil's album that I bought was Past and Present
              (vinyl): I paid what? $13.99..."Worth the Weight" (CD): I paid
              $22.99. The CD changed the sound of all the recordings. The needle on
              a turn table (sorry if it's not the right word -- I don't know it)
              doesn't read the music like a laser on a metallic disc. The sound is
              clearer and the bass doesn't increase the songs like on a vinyl...A
              CD compared to a vinyl can actually hold more information so they say
              it sounds fuller and more natural. In fact, they sell us crap for at
              a bigger price.

              It helped me to understand why in 1983 "Forged in Fire" has not been
              well quoted by the reviewers. The LP was recorded to sound like a CD,
              and people wasn't used to it at this period. Now, weirdly FiF is the
              album that everyone associates to Anvil . Probably because the sound
              is more familiar now. How much cost a LP now when you order
              one...Tony? I guess it's expensive too. They thought about
              collectors...hey! It makes me feel old when I remember that I bought
              Black Sabbath "Sabbath bloody Sabbath" for $7.99, it sounds like when
              my mother tells me that she bought butter for 50 cents.