Nektar Budgie Camel

  • xcygnusxyyzx
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 2, 2003
      THose bands whipe the floor with your canadians wabbits
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 2, 2003
        I'm pissed that I never got to see Budgie, dammit!!!
        I know that they have toured over here in the states before but when?
        I think they used to do a show or two in Texas each year recently for
        some reason. All their stuff is great and when they came back in the
        80's with Power Supply it was a great return but then they really got
        too keyboardy-commercial for my taste after that.
        Camel I saw open for BOC in NYC for their first LP, Mirage. That was
        a good band and seeing them made me a fan. I bought most of their
        albums, too.
        Nektar I know I saw a couple times, one memorable show opening for
        BeBop Deluxe in '76 and they had the whole trippy lightshow thing
        going on. "Magic Is A Child" was my favorite of theirs and I always
        play the first song on there near Xmas because the opening has a
        total Xmas mood to it.
        Next week MSG is playing within driving distance here and I MUST go!
        It has beeen too long since my last dose of SCHENKER live.

        carry on,
        catdeli
      • wipy1999
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
          When will Budgie play South America??? Will Anvil make it to Brazil
          in 2004 or 2005????--- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, catdeli

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
            I think that the most important for now, it's that they finish to record their albums and that Henderson give them an article in Bw&Bk when it will be release. Without any promotion, forget South America, Europe and Brazil.

            wipy1999 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:When will Budgie play South America??? Will Anvil make it to Brazil
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > I'm pissed that I never got to see Budgie, dammit!!!
            > I know that they have toured over here in the states before but
            when?
            > I think they used to do a show or two in Texas each year recently
            for
            > some reason. All their stuff is great and when they came back in
            the
            > 80's with Power Supply it was a great return but then they really
            got
            > too keyboardy-commercial for my taste after that.
            > Camel I saw open for BOC in NYC for their first LP, Mirage. That
            was
            > a good band and seeing them made me a fan. I bought most of their
            > albums, too.
            > Nektar I know I saw a couple times, one memorable show opening for
            > BeBop Deluxe in '76 and they had the whole trippy lightshow thing
            > going on. "Magic Is A Child" was my favorite of theirs and I always
            > play the first song on there near Xmas because the opening has a
            > total Xmas mood to it.
            > Next week MSG is playing within driving distance here and I MUST
            go!
            > It has beeen too long since my last dose of SCHENKER live.
            >
            > carry on,
            > catdeli

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
            var lrec_target="_top"; var lrec_URL = new Array(); lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cb1c09b/M=266849.4205059.5406854.3959228/D=egroupweb/S=1705024748:HM/EXP=1070557446/A=1878653/R=0/id=flashurl/*http://enrique.launch.yahoo.com"; var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)"; var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.yimg.com/a/la/launch/111903_LREC_AC_enrique_legal.swf?clickTAG='+link+''; var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cb1c09b/M=266849.4205059.5406854.3959228/D=egroupweb/S=1705024748:HM/EXP=1070557446/A=1878653/R=1/id=altimgurl/*http://enrique.launch.yahoo.com"; var lrec_altimg = "http://us.yimg.com/a/la/launch/111903_LREC_AC_enrique_legal.gif"; var lrec_width = 300; var lrec_height = 250;

          • wipy1999
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
              I still Can Not figure out this whole Tim Henderson deal?????-- In
              academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "@ T @" <tangelaine2000@y...> wrote:
              > I think that the most important for now, it's that they finish to
              record their albums and that Henderson give them an article in Bw&Bk
              when it will be release. Without any promotion, forget South America,
              Europe and Brazil.

              > wipy1999 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:When will Budgie play
              South America??? Will Anvil make it to Brazil
              > in 2004 or 2005????--- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, catdeli
              > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > > I'm pissed that I never got to see Budgie, dammit!!!
              > > I know that they have toured over here in the states before but
              > when?
              > > I think they used to do a show or two in Texas each year recently
              > for
              > > some reason. All their stuff is great and when they came back in
              > the
              > > 80's with Power Supply it was a great return but then they really
              > got
              > > too keyboardy-commercial for my taste after that.
              > > Camel I saw open for BOC in NYC for their first LP, Mirage. That
              > was
              > > a good band and seeing them made me a fan. I bought most of their
              > > albums, too.
              > > Nektar I know I saw a couple times, one memorable show opening
              for
              > > BeBop Deluxe in '76 and they had the whole trippy lightshow thing
              > > going on. "Magic Is A Child" was my favorite of theirs and I
              always
              > > play the first song on there near Xmas because the opening has a
              > > total Xmas mood to it.
              > > Next week MSG is playing within driving distance here and I MUST
              > go!
              > > It has beeen too long since my last dose of SCHENKER live.
              > >
              > > carry on,
              > > catdeli
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
              > var lrec_target="_top"; var lrec_URL = new Array(); lrec_URL[1]
              = "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cb1c09b/M=266849.4205059.5406854.3959228/
              D=egroupweb/S=1705024748:HM/EXP=1070557446/A=1878653/R=0/id=flashurl/*
              http://enrique.launch.yahoo.com"; var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow
              (1)"; var lrec_flashfile
              = 'http://us.yimg.com/a/la/launch/111903_LREC_AC_enrique_legal.swf?
              clickTAG='+link+''; var lrec_altURL
              = "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cb1c09b/M=266849.4205059.5406854.3959228/
              D=egroupweb/S=1705024748:HM/EXP=1070557446/A=1878653/R=1/id=altimgurl/
              *http://enrique.launch.yahoo.com"; var lrec_altimg
              = "http://us.yimg.com/a/la/launch/111903_LREC_AC_enrique_legal.gif";
              var lrec_width = 300; var lrec_height = 250;

              Service.

              > tangelaine2000@y...

            • Elaine
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 3, 2003
                There's no deal and it's just too bad. Henderson takes care of a
                magazine "Bw&Bk" and if I'm not wrong this magazine belongs to the
                owner of all CD's stores HMV (biggest in Canada). I've never found an
                Anvil's album in one of those stores. Maybe HnH, MoM, and FiF when
                Attic has been sold. However, "MUSIC WORLD" sells 24.99 "Still going
                Strong" with a sticker on it: IMPORT. We all know that Anvil makes
                business with Massacre. Which kid will buy a CD at this price + the
                taxes?

                If Henderson would stop to publish his stupid stuff about Sharon
                Ozbourne and Glen Hugues (they are not Canadians) and would plan an
                article for Anvil it would help them in many ways. They show "RuSh"
                on the cover cos it sells well! Probably that with a North American
                label, the CD wouldn't be an "IMPORT" that costs 24.99 + taxes. They
                would probably get many gigs and...then, maybe they would find the
                time to go on some South American beaches. It's a weel that
                turns...unhappily.

                nite!

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
                  Tim works for HMV...he owns BW&BK..HMV does not.

                  From the same interview:

                  "What is the connection between the magazine and the HMV chain? More
                  specifically have you been subsidized by them?"

                  TIM: The connection is the fact that I am the metal guy who works
                  there. HMV helps with the distribution. I don't want to discredit HMV.
                  I have had many mentors there, but the reason I have kept some HMV
                  contact information in there is to help us sell the magazine. On the
                  other hand people at other record chains have viewed the magazine as
                  belonging to HMV which is the biggest fucking farce because my head
                  office has nothing to do with it. It's something you would think they
                  could run with, it's the biggest selling magazine across the country
                  there, but in a marketing sense we don't work together. It's partly my
                  fault because I am not knocking on doors, but they certainly are not
                  knocking on mine.

                  --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "Elaine" <tangelaine2000@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > There's no deal and it's just too bad. Henderson takes care of a
                  > magazine "Bw&Bk" and if I'm not wrong this magazine belongs to the
                  > owner of all CD's stores HMV (biggest in Canada).
                • glabrek
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
                    wrote:
                    > There's no deal and it's just too bad. Henderson takes care of a
                    > magazine "Bw&Bk" and if I'm not wrong this magazine belongs to the
                    > owner of all CD's stores HMV (biggest in Canada). I've never found
                    an
                    > Anvil's album in one of those stores. Maybe HnH, MoM, and FiF when
                    > Attic has been sold. However, "MUSIC WORLD" sells 24.99 "Still
                    going
                    > Strong" with a sticker on it: IMPORT. We all know that Anvil makes
                    > business with Massacre. Which kid will buy a CD at this price + the
                    > taxes?
                    >
                    > If Henderson would stop to publish his stupid stuff about Sharon
                    > Ozbourne and Glen Hugues (they are not Canadians) and would plan an
                    > article for Anvil it would help them in many ways. They show "RuSh"
                    > on the cover cos it sells well! Probably that with a North American
                    > label, the CD wouldn't be an "IMPORT" that costs 24.99 + taxes.
                    They
                    > would probably get many gigs and...then, maybe they would find the
                    > time to go on some South American beaches. It's a weel that
                    > turns...unhappily.
                    >
                    > nite!

                    Hey, I'm interested in the Glenn Hughes stories...The guy is a legend
                    in the rock/hard rock style and he's interesting to read about IMO.
                    I agree that BW&BK should talk more about Anvil, but if they only
                    relied on Canadian metal bands, the mag would be dead for long...How
                    many good real Canadian metal bands are remaining? Anvil, Hanker,
                    Voivod...

                    BTW, I'd also like Anvil to get a Canadian record deal, but let it be
                    known that for me HMV are thieves that sell most of the metal CDs,
                    even the domestic copies, at about $24 or $25 CAN (+ taxes). Sure,
                    when a CD is just being released, they sell it about $17 or $18, but
                    as soon as it gets a bit older, the "normal" price of $23 or $24 or
                    $25 appear...That's why I buy all my stuff from online mail-order
                    stores like Then End Records, who sell around $12 to $14 US, with
                    only $1 for shipping, making me pay my brand new CDs for about $17 to
                    $20 CAN, all inclueded. I also buy some on Ebay, at great prices
                    most of the times.

                    Guillaume
                  • Elaine
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 4, 2003
                      It's not because I don't like what Glen Hugues does now musically
                      that BW is going to change their ways. The "Rolling Stone Magazine"
                      is not interesting anymore, the half of it is full of adds and is
                      about Christina "Laguedouna" or "M&N". We don't have a big choice
                      with the rock magazines like before. The ones that stayed got the
                      power.

                      Record Stores: they're thiefs and you're unhappily right. The
                      recording companies cry about the CD's copies and the mp3's traffic
                      on the net. The last Anvil's album that I bought was Past and Present
                      (vinyl): I paid what? $13.99..."Worth the Weight" (CD): I paid
                      $22.99. The CD changed the sound of all the recordings. The needle on
                      a turn table (sorry if it's not the right word -- I don't know it)
                      doesn't read the music like a laser on a metallic disc. The sound is
                      clearer and the bass doesn't increase the songs like on a vinyl...A
                      CD compared to a vinyl can actually hold more information so they say
                      it sounds fuller and more natural. In fact, they sell us crap for at
                      a bigger price.

                      It helped me to understand why in 1983 "Forged in Fire" has not been
                      well quoted by the reviewers. The LP was recorded to sound like a CD,
                      and people wasn't used to it at this period. Now, weirdly FiF is the
                      album that everyone associates to Anvil . Probably because the sound
                      is more familiar now. How much cost a LP now when you order
                      one...Tony? I guess it's expensive too. They thought about
                      collectors...hey! It makes me feel old when I remember that I bought
                      Black Sabbath "Sabbath bloody Sabbath" for $7.99, it sounds like when
                      my mother tells me that she bought butter for 50 cents.