Deep Purple

  • anvilips2000
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 22, 2003
      I can't watch this clip because I'm on dial up however I have it on
      video, in fact I have all of the Cal Jam stuff , even Nugent in the
      late 70's. I really admire Glen Hughes voice, his new stuff is
      inconsistant but when it rocks it's amazing. He's been recording for
      years for a Japanese lable. I also was not a big fan of the Come
      Taste the Band album, it's the only Deep Purple I don't have and
      never will. Tommy Bolin didn't impress me at all, although he did
      some fusion stuff early on but it was not my cup of tea. David
      Coverdale is an ok singer but after meeting him I find it difficult
      to enjoy his music. He told Robb and I that he had a cheque for a
      million dollars in his back pocket while he was performing at
      California Jam, his first gig with Deep Purple. The way in which he
      said it bothered me, but then again it may be that I didn't beleive
      him. He's a very typical insecure lead vocalist, the opposite of Ian
      Gillan, who I also met and found him to be the nicest rock star I've
      ever met. He bought me at least a half dozen gin and tonics and we
      talked for a couple of hours. A truely amazing experience.
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 22, 2003
        We're all "back to basics" this fall. It's true that it would be nice
        to chat about anything except politics and wars. We all have
        different taste about music, but here we found that "Deep Purple" was
        a lot liked by everyone (Glen Hugues too!). "Inconsistant" is an
        english word that I will use instead of "weird", in the futur :)

        Chatting is making short sentences and I don't know if our chatroom
        allows the cam and the mic. Would be "live" cos it's a lot more like
        a conversation: "Were you at that show?", "Really I tell you: it
        rocked!". Long messages are not interactives. Chatting about hard
        rock and metal of all kind could be really fun.

        Coverdale...I've never felt an once of honesty in this guy. I won 5$,
        cos I've always pretend that he had a perm. On the video, well we see
        it. Ian Gillan was a chubby cute dood and when I saw them in 1985, he
        was still a great...but great singer.

        Recording in a Month LIPS? Start to stress, stress is good sometimes.

        Tange :)
      • anvilips2000
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 28, 2004
          Colin went to see it and said it was great, they played all of the
          Machine head album plus Strange Kind of Woman, Speed King, When a
          blind man cries, Perfect Strangers and a couple of newer songs as
          well. Don Airey on keyboards was fantastic, (I'm not surprised)as he
          played on so many of the great English recordings most people would
          be shocked to realize. Steve Morse, we all know is a great guitarist.
          I didn't go because I never saw the original all together and felt
          that it would be a let down for me personally speaking. I really
          dislike John Sykes, who is fronting Thin Lizzy, I think he's a good
          guitarist but his personality is terrible. Just the lack of respect
          he had for Chris Tsangarides by banging his exwife, and basically
          causing him grief for a life time. Even though this woman in John's
          own words "wanted it", doesn't mean you should go forit!!! I will
          never forgive him. I also think that Thin Lizzy died with Phil
          Lynott, and trying to reserect the dead doesn't work for me, it's a
          copy band with a couple of ex members. Thin Lizzy had Scott Gorham
          later on in thier carreer, as well as Jon Sucks, I mean John Sykes,
          but more impressively, such guitarists like Gary Moore, Snowy White,
          or Brian Robertson have also been members of Thin Lizzy. Gary Moore
          being my favourite, probably Phil's favourite as well. Anybody
          knowing anything about Lizzy would know that Phil and Gary were good
          friends all through Phils short life, and did some side projects
          together. Gary was one of the most influencial guitarists of the
          80's, I remember Vivian Cambell (Dio) playing Gary's solo Dirty
          Fingers, I know it as well!! It's known to us guitarists, like Eddie
          Van Halen's Erruption is known.... When I met Gary at a festival in
          Belgium, I had him play it for me in the change room, although he was
          kind of bored with it , it was amazing to watch so close up. Going to
          this show for me would be like going to see th Phantoms of Metal
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 28, 2004
            --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, anvilips2000 <no_reply@y...>
            wrote:
            . Don Airey on keyboards was fantastic, (I'm not surprised)as he
            > played on so many of the great English recordings most people would
            > be shocked to realize.

            Ha! Here's my Don Airy story.
            In the 80's we had many, many concerts here at our Civic Center. Ozzy
            played one time, I think it was "Ultimate Sin" tour or one of those.
            Well, we knew where the bands stayed when they were in town and we'd
            always go there after the show to meet and greet. So Ozzy's band all
            went out to a local club after and partied. We were diligently
            waiting for them to return. We met Jake E. Lee and Tommy Aldridge.
            But it was getting late so we started driving out of the hotels
            parking lot down a long dark road to the highway. We look and along
            the road someone is walking toward the hotel and as we pass him, we
            all do a double take because it's Don Airey! I stopped my car and
            offered him a ride back because it was a long road and he was a bit
            wasted after partying at the club. So he crawled into my backseat and
            we took him to the door. He thanked us for our service and that was
            it. (I never said it was a good story!)
            I was sad to hear that Jon Lord would not tour with Purple any more.
            I had just seen them that summer and it was a blinding show...seeing
            them open with "Highway Star" is always a thrill! BLackmore was a
            real dick to us at first when we tried to meet him but he quickly
            became very nice when he realized we were fans and not jerks.

            In Rock,
            cAt
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 28, 2004
              Maybe everybody want to see the original bands, but I doubt it's
              possible. I've just see on TV the Black Sabbath Reunion and I was
              like @_@. Each songs that they played, I was singing...I was looking
              at Butler on bass, and at Bill Ward and then...to all the founding
              members and I was hypnotized by the energy that was in each songs. I
              will rent Aerosmith's one.

              Do you mean that this woman that is the reason why Forged in Fire
              didn't sound like it was supposed to...has been hurted by a DP's
              guitarist? Sequels?? Life is weird sometimes...

              You didn't post your "Passion of Christ" review LIPS, LOL!! Let us
              know!