Re: [Academy of Anvil] Watch the California Jam - Deep Purple

  • J. Crackcorn
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 19, 2003
      Yeah, I also remember watching the CalJam on the old "In Concert" tv show
      here in the US. It was on every Friday night and I never missed it. That was
      a show that I wish they'd put out on DVD! All of them, I mean. If you're a
      fan of all the seventies bands like I am(Mott The Hoople, Alice Cooper,
      Uriah Heep, ELP, Slade, Alex Harvey, TRex, etc. etc.) this is prime stuff. I
      watched these shows on an old black & white TV because we didn't have COLOR
      TV yet in my house. So my memories of those shows is all in b&w. CalJam
      bands that I remember them showing were Black Oak Arkansas, ELP and Purple
      but they probably showed more. I mean at least put out the Don Kirshner's
      Rock Concert shows, ferchrissakes! It seems like someone is sitting on a
      goldmine!

      #1 Tesla fan,
      catdeli
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 20, 2003
        Yup! I've never liked Coverdale, but I must say that with G. Hugues
        on the bass Purple rocked! I won't hide that Coverdale is not one of
        my favorite...but with DP he was excellent. I heard some Glen Hugues
        songs and it sounds a bit commercial, but he's a guy with a
        magnificient voice. On stage at the California Jam: he was THE
        FRONTMAN. What a look! I guess that's why Blackmore fired him: he was
        stealing the show. It has always seemed weird for me to see Coverdale
        (great singer) and Glen Hugues who had almost the same voice than Ian
        Gillan. Why two excellent singer???

        It was funny to set the full screen with the window media, this song
        has always made me crazy!

        Bye Slug!

        Tange :)
      • Heavymetalhead.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 20, 2003
          Hey Catdeli,

          > Yeah, I also remember watching the CalJam on the old "In Concert"
          > tv show here in the US. It was on every Friday night and I never
          > missed it. That was a show that I wish they'd put out on DVD! All
          < of them, I mean. If you're a fan of all the seventies bands like
          > I am(Mott The Hoople, Alice Cooper, Uriah Heep, ELP, Slade, Alex
          > Harvey, TRex, etc. etc.) this is prime stuff.

          I'm a huge fan of all that stuff myself. In my formative years of metal I remember ordering a boot of Sabbath from the '74 CalJam and '75 DKRC (and do you remember Night Flight at all?) and thinking to myself, man this stuff is incredible - how come I'm not seeing anything like this on network television today? And this was 1989, when hair metal was at its pinnacle and about ready to surge - long after those came out in the '70s. I know ABC brought back a Friday night concert show that slips my mind at the moment, Judas Priest, Alice Cooper, Motorhead, Anthrax, some others were featured on it but it wasn't that often they'd feature any kinda metal acts.

          > I watched these shows on an old black & white TV because we didn't
          > have COLOR TV yet in my house. So my memories of those shows is all
          > in b&w. CalJam bands that I remember them showing were Black Oak
          > Arkansas, ELP and Purple but they probably showed more. I mean at
          > least put out the Don Kirshner's Rock Concert shows, ferchrissakes!
          > It seems like someone is sitting on a goldmine!

          Someone IS sitting on a gold mine, no question. And what they're waiting for I have no idea, either. The longer time elapses the more risk they run of that old footage biting the bullet. It would be a treat to see alot of those reissued on DVD and to relive some of those classic sounds. Heep would be incredible to see. For you especially, to see them in color again would be exciting I'm sure!! Maybe we could cross our fingers and someone with power and clout like VH1Classics would have the ability to bring them back and air them on network TV, hell I would love to see Night Flight again!! I'd take anything I could get, reissued on DVD or not!!

          ICQ: 131855064 ~~ AIM/MSN/Yahoo!: heavymetalhead73
          http://profiles.yahoo.com/heavymetalhead_com/

          http://www.intoeternity.com/ ~~ WATCH FOR 'BURIED IN OBLIVION' IN 2004!
          MY HOMEPAGE: ~~~~ opening soon!!! ~~~~ http://www.heavymetalhead.com/
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 21, 2003
            My dream is that a millionaire takes all Tony's bootlegs from 1980 until now, and just make a DVD of Anvil...because live: they kick ass!! I hope that the next album will kick ass too.....ha LIPS? Yunno I'm kidding, but not for the DVD!

            "Heavymetalhead.com" <heavymetalhead@...> wrote:Hey Catdeli,

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 21, 2003
              Oh sure, I remember Night Flight on USA network. They played the "Yessongs"
              movie and I recorded a Blue Oyster Cult concert from that show once. I used
              to record all those shows and I have a ton of the 80's stuff on tape. Too
              bad VCRs weren't out yet in the 70's when Midnight Special and Don
              Kirshner's shows were on! I remember(MORE nostalgia!lol) seeing UFO playing
              on Don Kirshner and I think it was the time of their "Phenomenon" album! AND
              I remember watching, IN COLOR, Sabbath live on DKRC just as Sabotage came
              out ('75?). I had a little cassette recorder and I would hold the mic near
              the tv speaker. I just found an old cassette and it has: Heep-Sweet Lorraine
              & Stealin'; Mott-Dudes & Memphis; T Rex-Jeepster & Get It On; Johnny
              Winter-R&R Hoochie Coo, JBGoode & J Jack Flash. The sound is terrible but
              what the heck?
              And yes, ABC had a live concert show in the 90's! I videotaped the
              "Operation Rock n Roll" show with Motorhead that you speak of.

              I could go on and on,
              catdeli

              ---
            • J. Crackcorn
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 21, 2003
                Yeah Tange, Glenn Hughes is more commercial these days but the CDs he did
                with Joe Lynn Turner are very Purple-ish in places. I don't think Blackmore
                fired him. As I remember it, Blackmore quit Purple not long after
                "Stormbringer" LP and they continued on with Tommy Bolin on guitar, putting
                out one more album, "Come Taste The Band".

                > Yup! I've never liked Coverdale, but I must say that with G. Hugues
                > on the bass Purple rocked! I won't hide that Coverdale is not one of
                > my favorite...but with DP he was excellent. I heard some Glen Hugues
                > songs and it sounds a bit commercial, but he's a guy with a
                > magnificient voice. On stage at the California Jam: he was THE
                > FRONTMAN. What a look! I guess that's why Blackmore fired him: he was
                > stealing the show. It has always seemed weird for me to see Coverdale
                > (great singer) and Glen Hugues who had almost the same voice than Ian
                > Gillan. Why two excellent singer???
                >
                > It was funny to set the full screen with the window media, this song
                > has always made me crazy!
                >
                > Bye Slug!
                >
                > Tange :)

                ---
              • glabrek
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 21, 2003
                  --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "J. Crackcorn" <sdelsign@n...>
                  wrote:
                  > Yeah Tange, Glenn Hughes is more commercial these days but the CDs
                  he did
                  > with Joe Lynn Turner are very Purple-ish in places. I don't think
                  Blackmore
                  > fired him. As I remember it, Blackmore quit Purple not long after
                  > "Stormbringer" LP and they continued on with Tommy Bolin on guitar,
                  putting
                  > out one more album, "Come Taste The Band".

                  The latest Glenn Hughes album, Songs In The Key Of Rock, is quite
                  heavy, probably one of his heaviest solo stuff. Pretty good too. I
                  prefer the HUGHES TURNER PROJECT albums over this though. Both HTP-1
                  and HTP-2 are very good hard rock in the Rainbow/Purple style. Check
                  them out.

                  Guillaume