Re: [Academy of Anvil] Watch the California Jam - Deep Purple

  • Jerry Fielden
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 18, 2003
      Thanks Tange! I remember looking at the CalJam show when it first came out on TV. That was some festival! Deep Purple will always be a personal fave of mine :)

      Jerry
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 19, 2003
        Yeah, I also remember watching the CalJam on the old "In Concert" tv show
        here in the US. It was on every Friday night and I never missed it. That was
        a show that I wish they'd put out on DVD! All of them, I mean. If you're a
        fan of all the seventies bands like I am(Mott The Hoople, Alice Cooper,
        Uriah Heep, ELP, Slade, Alex Harvey, TRex, etc. etc.) this is prime stuff. I
        watched these shows on an old black & white TV because we didn't have COLOR
        TV yet in my house. So my memories of those shows is all in b&w. CalJam
        bands that I remember them showing were Black Oak Arkansas, ELP and Purple
        but they probably showed more. I mean at least put out the Don Kirshner's
        Rock Concert shows, ferchrissakes! It seems like someone is sitting on a
        goldmine!

        #1 Tesla fan,
        catdeli
        > Thanks Tange! I remember looking at the CalJam show when it first came out
        on TV. That was some festival! Deep Purple will always be a personal fave of
        mine :)

        > Jerry

        ---
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 20, 2003
          Yup! I've never liked Coverdale, but I must say that with G. Hugues
          on the bass Purple rocked! I won't hide that Coverdale is not one of
          my favorite...but with DP he was excellent. I heard some Glen Hugues
          songs and it sounds a bit commercial, but he's a guy with a
          magnificient voice. On stage at the California Jam: he was THE
          FRONTMAN. What a look! I guess that's why Blackmore fired him: he was
          stealing the show. It has always seemed weird for me to see Coverdale
          (great singer) and Glen Hugues who had almost the same voice than Ian
          Gillan. Why two excellent singer???

          It was funny to set the full screen with the window media, this song
          has always made me crazy!

          Bye Slug!

          Tange :)
        • Heavymetalhead.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 20, 2003
            Hey Catdeli,

            > Yeah, I also remember watching the CalJam on the old "In Concert"
            > tv show here in the US. It was on every Friday night and I never
            > missed it. That was a show that I wish they'd put out on DVD! All
            < of them, I mean. If you're a fan of all the seventies bands like
            > I am(Mott The Hoople, Alice Cooper, Uriah Heep, ELP, Slade, Alex
            > Harvey, TRex, etc. etc.) this is prime stuff.

            I'm a huge fan of all that stuff myself. In my formative years of metal I remember ordering a boot of Sabbath from the '74 CalJam and '75 DKRC (and do you remember Night Flight at all?) and thinking to myself, man this stuff is incredible - how come I'm not seeing anything like this on network television today? And this was 1989, when hair metal was at its pinnacle and about ready to surge - long after those came out in the '70s. I know ABC brought back a Friday night concert show that slips my mind at the moment, Judas Priest, Alice Cooper, Motorhead, Anthrax, some others were featured on it but it wasn't that often they'd feature any kinda metal acts.

            > I watched these shows on an old black & white TV because we didn't
            > have COLOR TV yet in my house. So my memories of those shows is all
            > in b&w. CalJam bands that I remember them showing were Black Oak
            > Arkansas, ELP and Purple but they probably showed more. I mean at
            > least put out the Don Kirshner's Rock Concert shows, ferchrissakes!
            > It seems like someone is sitting on a goldmine!

            Someone IS sitting on a gold mine, no question. And what they're waiting for I have no idea, either. The longer time elapses the more risk they run of that old footage biting the bullet. It would be a treat to see alot of those reissued on DVD and to relive some of those classic sounds. Heep would be incredible to see. For you especially, to see them in color again would be exciting I'm sure!! Maybe we could cross our fingers and someone with power and clout like VH1Classics would have the ability to bring them back and air them on network TV, hell I would love to see Night Flight again!! I'd take anything I could get, reissued on DVD or not!!

            ICQ: 131855064 ~~ AIM/MSN/Yahoo!: heavymetalhead73
            http://profiles.yahoo.com/heavymetalhead_com/

            http://www.intoeternity.com/ ~~ WATCH FOR 'BURIED IN OBLIVION' IN 2004!
            MY HOMEPAGE: ~~~~ opening soon!!! ~~~~ http://www.heavymetalhead.com/
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 21, 2003
              My dream is that a millionaire takes all Tony's bootlegs from 1980 until now, and just make a DVD of Anvil...because live: they kick ass!! I hope that the next album will kick ass too.....ha LIPS? Yunno I'm kidding, but not for the DVD!

              "Heavymetalhead.com" <heavymetalhead@...> wrote:Hey Catdeli,

              > Yeah, I also remember watching the CalJam on the old "In Concert"
              > tv show here in the US. It was on every Friday night and I never
              > missed it. That was a show that I wish they'd put out on DVD! All
              < of them, I mean. If you're a fan of all the seventies bands like
              > I am(Mott The Hoople, Alice Cooper, Uriah Heep, ELP, Slade, Alex
              > Harvey, TRex, etc. etc.) this is prime stuff.

              I'm a huge fan of all that stuff myself. In my formative years of metal I remember ordering a boot of Sabbath from the '74 CalJam and '75 DKRC (and do you remember Night Flight at all?) and thinking to myself, man this stuff is incredible - how come I'm not seeing anything like this on network television today? And this was 1989, when hair metal was at its pinnacle and about ready to surge - long after those came out in the '70s. I know ABC brought back a Friday night concert show that slips my mind at the moment, Judas Priest, Alice Cooper, Motorhead, Anthrax, some others were featured on it but it wasn't that often they'd feature any kinda metal acts.

              > I watched these shows on an old black & white TV because we didn't
              > have COLOR TV yet in my house. So my memories of those shows is all
              > in b&w. CalJam bands that I remember them showing were Black Oak
              > Arkansas, ELP and Purple but they probably showed more. I mean at
              > least put out the Don Kirshner's Rock Concert shows, ferchrissakes!
              > It seems like someone is sitting on a goldmine!

              Someone IS sitting on a gold mine, no question. And what they're waiting for I have no idea, either. The longer time elapses the more risk they run of that old footage biting the bullet. It would be a treat to see alot of those reissued on DVD and to relive some of those classic sounds. Heep would be incredible to see. For you especially, to see them in color again would be exciting I'm sure!! Maybe we could cross our fingers and someone with power and clout like VH1Classics would have the ability to bring them back and air them on network TV, hell I would love to see Night Flight again!! I'd take anything I could get, reissued on DVD or not!!

              ICQ: 131855064 ~~ AIM/MSN/Yahoo!: heavymetalhead73
              http://profiles.yahoo.com/heavymetalhead_com/

            • J. Crackcorn
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 21, 2003
                Oh sure, I remember Night Flight on USA network. They played the "Yessongs"
                movie and I recorded a Blue Oyster Cult concert from that show once. I used
                to record all those shows and I have a ton of the 80's stuff on tape. Too
                bad VCRs weren't out yet in the 70's when Midnight Special and Don
                Kirshner's shows were on! I remember(MORE nostalgia!lol) seeing UFO playing
                on Don Kirshner and I think it was the time of their "Phenomenon" album! AND
                I remember watching, IN COLOR, Sabbath live on DKRC just as Sabotage came
                out ('75?). I had a little cassette recorder and I would hold the mic near
                the tv speaker. I just found an old cassette and it has: Heep-Sweet Lorraine
                & Stealin'; Mott-Dudes & Memphis; T Rex-Jeepster & Get It On; Johnny
                Winter-R&R Hoochie Coo, JBGoode & J Jack Flash. The sound is terrible but
                what the heck?
                And yes, ABC had a live concert show in the 90's! I videotaped the
                "Operation Rock n Roll" show with Motorhead that you speak of.

                I could go on and on,
                catdeli

                ---
              • J. Crackcorn
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 21, 2003
                  Yeah Tange, Glenn Hughes is more commercial these days but the CDs he did
                  with Joe Lynn Turner are very Purple-ish in places. I don't think Blackmore
                  fired him. As I remember it, Blackmore quit Purple not long after
                  "Stormbringer" LP and they continued on with Tommy Bolin on guitar, putting
                  out one more album, "Come Taste The Band".

                  > Yup! I've never liked Coverdale, but I must say that with G. Hugues
                  > on the bass Purple rocked! I won't hide that Coverdale is not one of
                  > my favorite...but with DP he was excellent. I heard some Glen Hugues
                  > songs and it sounds a bit commercial, but he's a guy with a
                  > magnificient voice. On stage at the California Jam: he was THE
                  > FRONTMAN. What a look! I guess that's why Blackmore fired him: he was
                  > stealing the show. It has always seemed weird for me to see Coverdale
                  > (great singer) and Glen Hugues who had almost the same voice than Ian
                  > Gillan. Why two excellent singer???
                  >
                  > It was funny to set the full screen with the window media, this song
                  > has always made me crazy!
                  >
                  > Bye Slug!
                  >
                  > Tange :)

                  ---
                • glabrek
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 21, 2003
                    --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "J. Crackcorn" <sdelsign@n...>
                    wrote:
                    > Yeah Tange, Glenn Hughes is more commercial these days but the CDs
                    he did
                    > with Joe Lynn Turner are very Purple-ish in places. I don't think
                    Blackmore
                    > fired him. As I remember it, Blackmore quit Purple not long after
                    > "Stormbringer" LP and they continued on with Tommy Bolin on guitar,
                    putting
                    > out one more album, "Come Taste The Band".

                    The latest Glenn Hughes album, Songs In The Key Of Rock, is quite
                    heavy, probably one of his heaviest solo stuff. Pretty good too. I
                    prefer the HUGHES TURNER PROJECT albums over this though. Both HTP-1
                    and HTP-2 are very good hard rock in the Rainbow/Purple style. Check
                    them out.

                    Guillaume