Re: [Academy of Anvil] Re: Best guitarist?

  • Jerry Fielden
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2003
      How true Tony!

      I was looking for players like Yngwie Malmsteen, John Petrucci, Alex Lifeson, Robin Trower, Frank Marino, Adrian Smith, Mick Taylor, Rick Derringer, Joe Satriani, Steve Morse, Jeff Healey; Jazz guys like Al DiMeola and Django Reinhardt; Blues players like Mayall, Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker, and even classical guitarists like Segovia, Julian Bream, etc.? Couldn't find them and most of the above blow away 3/4 of those on the list.

      Jerry
      Those "best" lists are based more on popularity than talent anyhow.

    • Elaine
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2003
        --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Fielden"
        <jerryfie@h...> wrote:
        > How true Tony!
        >
        > I was looking for players like Yngwie Malmsteen, John Petrucci,
        Alex Lifeson, Robin Trower, Frank Marino, Adrian Smith, Mick Taylor,
        Rick Derringer, Joe Satriani, Steve Morse, Jeff Healey; Jazz guys
        like Al DiMeola and Django Reinhardt; Blues players like Mayall,
        Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker, and even classical guitarists like
        Segovia, Julian Bream, etc.? Couldn't find them and most of the above
        blow away 3/4 of those on the list.

        > Jerry

        You're right...How's that? Robin Trower, Joe Satriani and Frank
        Marino are not even mentioned. I understand what LIPS wrote. We can't
        rank "self-expression", it can be only done by personal preferences
        and it shouldn't have been taken in a serious way. I can't compare
        or pretend that Salvatore Dali was a better painter than Delacroix or
        Da Vinci better than Jackson Pollock. They were completely different
        from each other, but they have been all recognized for their special
        works.

        I didn't take it in a serious way...hmmm. But! They want my
        comments:"YOU'RE GREATEST GUITARIST: Don't agree with our list? Vote
        for your favorite at www.rollingstone.com/greatest guitarist."

        I knew it was a big marketing stuff. Who am I to decide who is the
        best guitarist?
        Tange @-@