100 BEST guitarists ???

  • Jimmy Crackcorn
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
      Hey! Did you read the new Rolling Stone magazine? (I wouldn't admit
      it either!) Well, I stole a copy from the newsstand because it has
      Hendrix on the cover. They list their picks for top 100 guitarists in
      rock history. Jimi was picked #1...I got no beef with that. But the
      rest of the list is BULL! Joni Mitchell and Joan Jett are in there!
      Wait a damn second! Where is Lips? Joan F###king Jett is better than
      Lips on guitar? Now I've heard it all! Let me go and drink a case of
      beer right now because I GIVE UP! Angus Young was rated lower than
      them too! Ok, I know, I know. Lists are like assholes:everybody has
      one. Why am I so worked up about this? Example: Pete Townshend-#50.
      Kurt Cobain-#12. Kurt wrote some good songs(a lot) but he did nothing
      on the guitar and anybody knows that! Rolling Stone has zero
      credibility. It lost all credibility actually a long, long time ago.
      So who really cares? Not me. I'm gonna practice my F chord! Maybe
      next year I will make the list.

      catdeli
    • Elaine
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
        What a shame!

        By a curious coincidence, I stole a copy too!! How a magazine that is
        supposed to represent music can be so irrealist, giving a rank to
        guitarists this way? I mean, they even don't define the criteria that
        will justify such a choice. It seems, when we look at the "Top
        guitarist", that more they had a short life...more they were good!
        Number 2: Duane Allman, playing blues slide guitar and number 1: Jimi
        Hendrix (I know Hendrix was great!). The fact is that they died so
        young, after few years playing guitar and recording, that we don't
        even know how they would have played TODAY!! Blackmore, Iommi, Page,
        Angus Young, Eddie Van Halen survived all kind of excess and they are
        still holding a guitar and PLAYING! On "12": Kurt Cobain...what the
        heck ? Jimmy Page in on "9", jeez! What is that monkey on
        number "11"? Kirk Hammett...Come on! Hammett's talent is near
        Page's ???

        Look at that:

        "87": Joan Jett.
        "86": TONY IOMMI
        "85": RANDY RHOADS.

        I think it's a big marketing plan, cos they knew that people that
        have got a minimum of knowledge in music would react to this and buy
        the magazine just to check the Top HUNDRED. It's a whole joke! To
        make a serious and honest top hundred, they had to define what they
        based their choices on or to let the people vote. For me, this
        magazine is better at presenting ads of all kind than writing some
        serious stuff.

        I plan to learn guitar, cos I want to be in the top hundred in 2
        years! Tell me I'm too old, cos for them: closer I am to death,
        better I am!!!

        Tange :0))