Re: My Anthrax show

  • Jimmy Crackcorn
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 25, 2003
      >Wow, Tange, I was at that same show! I would have looked for you if
      I knew you were going too! ;^) Anthrax, the last time I saw them
      must have been in the early 90's. I think one of my all-time best
      concerts was their '87 Among The Living show. It was a neck-breaker!
      > Clifton Park set list :
      BLUES BROTHERS INTRO
      Contact (recording)
      What Doesn't Die
      Black Dhalia
      Got the Time
      Caught in a Mosh
      Safe Home
      Crush
      Antisocial
      Black Lodge
      Madhouse
      Refuse to Be Denied
      NFL
      Only
      -----
      Be All, End All
      Metal Thrashing Mad
      Whole Lotta Rosie
      Indians
      Well, a pretty good setlist, of course there are now so many songs
      with these bands who have been playing for 20+ years, they always
      leave out some of your favorites (Among The Living, I Am The Law, Now
      It's Dark, etc.)
      I think if Tange was as big a fan of Anthrax as I was, she would
      have enjoyed the show more. The sound was very loud (YAY!) and it is
      easy to be bored by songs you don't recognize. I also think a good
      thrash show needs to be experienced from up close where the madness
      happens near the front of the stage(AnViL!). It is usually a problem
      with all the muscle-headed creeps slamming into each other. Anthrax
      is famous for the Mosh but last nights crowd was a bit, how shall I
      say say, "older" and tended to stand and enjoy the show instead of
      trying to BE the show. I liked that a lot because nobody made me
      spill my beer!
      Yes, Charlie Benante is, for me, one of the top 10 drummers in
      thrash music. Maybe the mix was a bit dull where you were standing,
      Tange because he was playing some wild parts. I will agree with you
      that he is better on record because he did omit some of his more
      intricate fills on occasion. Overall they were ALL very energetic and
      into playing, the crowd responded well with fists and shouting along
      and nobody got violent!
      Show openers Lacuna Coil, I had never heard of before last night.
      They struck me as a bit of the style of another band that is gaining
      popularity now, Evanescence. Very polished and together with a male
      and female vocalist but their songs tended to be a bit of the same
      thing after a while. Atmospheric keyboard samples filled out the
      background of all their songs and distracted and diminished the power
      of the guitars. Also, too much reliance on a mid-tempo groove got old
      fast. A band to watch but for now I would not buy their stuff.
      Don't like the shaved heads too much, eh? Ha! It seems to be the
      style from now on and long hair makes you seem out of touch and past
      it. Is this true, kids? Tell me because my hair is now longer than it
      ever was and I will shave my head if it means I can look cool and
      groovy.

      Metal Thrashing Catdeli

    • Jimmy Crackcorn
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 25, 2003
        --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "Jimmy Crackcorn"
        <jcrackcorn2003@h...> wrote:

        > >Wow, Tange, I was at that same show! I would have looked for you.

        Come on Deli!

        > I think if Tange was as big a fan of Anthrax as I was, she would
        > have enjoyed the show more. The sound was very loud (YAY!) and it
        >is easy to be bored by songs you don't recognize.

        First, Tange has alreadly said she was not a fan of Anthrax. Second,
        you watched the show with your earplugs too! And finally, I've never
        listened to a band's CDs a week before to be sure to recognize the
        song :0)

        > Maybe the mix was a bit dull where you were standing,
        > Tange because he was playing some wild parts.

        So "wild" (weird) that I got confused!

        > Show openers Lacuna Coil, I had never heard of before last
        night.
        > They struck me as a bit of the style of another band that is
        gaining
        > popularity now, Evanescence. Very polished and together with a male
        > and female vocalist but their songs tended to be a bit of the same
        > thing after a while.

        The sound was very GOOD(YAY!) and "it is easy to be bored by songs
        you don't recognize." Hehehe...

        The main reason why I'm not an Anthrax fan: Trauma. I've been 4 years
        waiting and searching for the album that would follow "Forged in
        Fire". I shopped in every stores to find some Anvil's stuff. And, on
        who I was falling all the time?? 1984-85-86-87...Anthrax, and the
        Anvil tab was empty. An old frustration, that's all.

        √Člaine ;)
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 27, 2003
          I'd loved to have seen Anhrax. A friend of mine saw them in Toronto a
          few days ago and said they put a great show.

          What was John's political statement? Just curious.
        • Elaine
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 27, 2003
            --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, tgalloca <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > I'd loved to have seen Anhrax. A friend of mine saw them in Toronto
            > few days ago and said they put a great show.

            I wanted to see Anthrax, hoping to become a fan probably. I stopped
            to listen to Anthrax in 1988. I've never had an album of them, only
            compilations on cassettes. The singer was Joey Belladona with a
            clearer voice. John Bush, sang in Armored Saint in 1984 when I saw
            them at Arena Maurice Richard, Mtl. I maybe have problems to adapt
            myself to some changes and it makes that I don't enjoy some shows. I
            easily adapt myself to G5 and Ivan, so I don't understand that I
            didn't appreciate Anthrax guitarist and singer. John Bush looked like
            a cute dood longhaired and all, mmmm...Now he looks like Henry
            Rollins (???)What can I say?

            > What was John's political statement? Just curious.

            He said to be proud of "our" soldiers who died for our "freedom" in
            Iraq. "These guys gave their life"...ta ta ta ta.