My Anthrax show

  • Elaine R.
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 25, 2003
      I've always liked Anthrax, but I've never been a real fan. Last night's show was at the Northern Lights at Clifton Park, NY. Two musicians seem to still have love for their music and the crowd: Frank Bello and Scott Ian. Not that the other musicians were not good, but Frank Bello is as energized as LIPS on stage. I imagine both playing together , and I'm dazed... they played some old tunes and a few from the new album. People thrashed, but how it's weird to see people banging their heads when they have them shaved! Please guys, before shaving your head...ask a hairdresser if you got the "head look" for it. I saw light bulb heads (Homer Simpson), scars and John Bush looks like an ice cube. Come on ! G5 is nice with his head shaved, but it's not everybody that looks cute this way. I can't pretend that Anthrax impressed me, but I liked the show. The sound that they put on the bass and on the drums, warned me to install my earplugs...and it was an excellent idea. At 20, I didn't mind but now that I'm a bit deaf I'm careful.

      Charlie plays drums, okay...But, the intensity of the sound that is put on his playing exaggerated a lot his talent. When you look at him play, you understand that the power is from the sound, not from his style. If I refer to Reiner: he could play on empty cans and it would sound interesting...but Charlie without this big sound, he's ordinary. There's a new guitarist (who never smiled) and I missed the presence of the guitars. The only thing you hear through your earplugs is the bass and the drums with John Bush's voice in the background. Don't get me wrong, Anthrax kicks ass...but not enough to astonish me.

      As for Dickinson in Quebec City, John Bush had a "political statement" about the war. My opinion about that kind of remarks during a metal show is this one: I have enough to hear of it at the TV, on the radio and when people talk about it...that I would be grateful that the musicians stay musicians, instead of playing politicians. Music is something to relax, politic is something that makes me s**t.

      Songs: (What I remember)

      Be all, End all

      Madhouse

      N.F.L

      Caught in a Mosh

      Refuse to be denied

      Safe home - New

      What doesn't die - New

      Encores:

      Whole lotta Rosie

      Metal trashing mad

      Indians

      Now: LACUNA COIL

      Nu Metal from Italy...but, I loved to see them on stage! Last night I realised what was the difference between a "studio band" and a "Live band". Lacuna Coil doesn't pleased me that much when I listened to their CD, but to see them on stage was amazing! It's a mix between nu metal and heavy metal from the 80's. Two singers, male and female. When I say female, I don't mean that she was wearing red leather and showing her boobs. She was banging her head with the band, moving a way that was heavy enough. The sound was excellent, but I don't like keyboards, so...They impressed me more than Anthrax. Humility and all the guts of a band that begins and is not yet rich.

    • Jimmy Crackcorn
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 25, 2003
        >Wow, Tange, I was at that same show! I would have looked for you if
        I knew you were going too! ;^) Anthrax, the last time I saw them
        must have been in the early 90's. I think one of my all-time best
        concerts was their '87 Among The Living show. It was a neck-breaker!
        > Clifton Park set list :
        BLUES BROTHERS INTRO
        Contact (recording)
        What Doesn't Die
        Black Dhalia
        Got the Time
        Caught in a Mosh
        Safe Home
        Crush
        Antisocial
        Black Lodge
        Madhouse
        Refuse to Be Denied
        NFL
        Only
        -----
        Be All, End All
        Metal Thrashing Mad
        Whole Lotta Rosie
        Indians
        Well, a pretty good setlist, of course there are now so many songs
        with these bands who have been playing for 20+ years, they always
        leave out some of your favorites (Among The Living, I Am The Law, Now
        It's Dark, etc.)
        I think if Tange was as big a fan of Anthrax as I was, she would
        have enjoyed the show more. The sound was very loud (YAY!) and it is
        easy to be bored by songs you don't recognize. I also think a good
        thrash show needs to be experienced from up close where the madness
        happens near the front of the stage(AnViL!). It is usually a problem
        with all the muscle-headed creeps slamming into each other. Anthrax
        is famous for the Mosh but last nights crowd was a bit, how shall I
        say say, "older" and tended to stand and enjoy the show instead of
        trying to BE the show. I liked that a lot because nobody made me
        spill my beer!
        Yes, Charlie Benante is, for me, one of the top 10 drummers in
        thrash music. Maybe the mix was a bit dull where you were standing,
        Tange because he was playing some wild parts. I will agree with you
        that he is better on record because he did omit some of his more
        intricate fills on occasion. Overall they were ALL very energetic and
        into playing, the crowd responded well with fists and shouting along
        and nobody got violent!
        Show openers Lacuna Coil, I had never heard of before last night.
        They struck me as a bit of the style of another band that is gaining
        popularity now, Evanescence. Very polished and together with a male
        and female vocalist but their songs tended to be a bit of the same
        thing after a while. Atmospheric keyboard samples filled out the
        background of all their songs and distracted and diminished the power
        of the guitars. Also, too much reliance on a mid-tempo groove got old
        fast. A band to watch but for now I would not buy their stuff.
        Don't like the shaved heads too much, eh? Ha! It seems to be the
        style from now on and long hair makes you seem out of touch and past
        it. Is this true, kids? Tell me because my hair is now longer than it
        ever was and I will shave my head if it means I can look cool and
        groovy.

        Metal Thrashing Catdeli

      • Jimmy Crackcorn
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 25, 2003
          --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "Jimmy Crackcorn"
          <jcrackcorn2003@h...> wrote:

          > >Wow, Tange, I was at that same show! I would have looked for you.

          Come on Deli!

          > I think if Tange was as big a fan of Anthrax as I was, she would
          > have enjoyed the show more. The sound was very loud (YAY!) and it
          >is easy to be bored by songs you don't recognize.

          First, Tange has alreadly said she was not a fan of Anthrax. Second,
          you watched the show with your earplugs too! And finally, I've never
          listened to a band's CDs a week before to be sure to recognize the
          song :0)

          > Maybe the mix was a bit dull where you were standing,
          > Tange because he was playing some wild parts.

          So "wild" (weird) that I got confused!

          > Show openers Lacuna Coil, I had never heard of before last
          night.
          > They struck me as a bit of the style of another band that is
          gaining
          > popularity now, Evanescence. Very polished and together with a male
          > and female vocalist but their songs tended to be a bit of the same
          > thing after a while.

          The sound was very GOOD(YAY!) and "it is easy to be bored by songs
          you don't recognize." Hehehe...

          The main reason why I'm not an Anthrax fan: Trauma. I've been 4 years
          waiting and searching for the album that would follow "Forged in
          Fire". I shopped in every stores to find some Anvil's stuff. And, on
          who I was falling all the time?? 1984-85-86-87...Anthrax, and the
          Anvil tab was empty. An old frustration, that's all.

          √Člaine ;)
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 27, 2003
            I'd loved to have seen Anhrax. A friend of mine saw them in Toronto a
            few days ago and said they put a great show.

            What was John's political statement? Just curious.
          • Elaine
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 27, 2003
              --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, tgalloca <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > I'd loved to have seen Anhrax. A friend of mine saw them in Toronto
              > few days ago and said they put a great show.

              I wanted to see Anthrax, hoping to become a fan probably. I stopped
              to listen to Anthrax in 1988. I've never had an album of them, only
              compilations on cassettes. The singer was Joey Belladona with a
              clearer voice. John Bush, sang in Armored Saint in 1984 when I saw
              them at Arena Maurice Richard, Mtl. I maybe have problems to adapt
              myself to some changes and it makes that I don't enjoy some shows. I
              easily adapt myself to G5 and Ivan, so I don't understand that I
              didn't appreciate Anthrax guitarist and singer. John Bush looked like
              a cute dood longhaired and all, mmmm...Now he looks like Henry
              Rollins (???)What can I say?

              > What was John's political statement? Just curious.

              He said to be proud of "our" soldiers who died for our "freedom" in
              Iraq. "These guys gave their life"...ta ta ta ta.