White Rhino and Moby Dick

  • Elaine R.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2003
      It is known that the Led Zep's DVDs showing the early days and the lattest, are very popular. Some prefer the second CD and as I'm concern, I prefer the first one. LZ 1 and 2 are my faves. But I've been completely hypnotized by John H. Bonham's drums solo (Moby Dick). I understand now why they didn't replace him when he died. He had his own style, like all drummers I think. But...wow! Sure Page is great too, but when I skipped on the second CD and that I saw him junky-zomby so "full of himself" (like Plant), I must say that I prefered the early days. They were humble guys at this moment playing with the crowd, not Rock Star "stoned like a raisins" (French translation) making shows as businessmen.

      Bonham's solo is what impressed me the most in that first CD. He had only ONE bass drum! I realised how important a drummer IS in a band. I remembered a night at the Electric Circle, when Robb made a majestic solo...so long that the owner opened the lights to take out the people. But, he was completely gone making his solo with the lights opened. It's too bad that nothing of this has been taped.

      I wish that Deep Purple will do the same than LZ, Black Sabbath too! It really shows the essence, the roots of what we call "metal"....the step from Hard Rock to Heavy Metal. This way, the new "metal bands" (death, black, gothic) would take a look at them to get what is a melody. No melody, no music. A good drummer, a good beat...a good rythm!