ELF / DIO / The RODS / Halford back in JP...

  • glabrek
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 13, 2003
      --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, catdeli <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > ELF I don't think I heard much of their stuff, anyway I don't
      > remember the style. What was it, slow and heavy late 60's sounding
      > pre-metal? Oh, but THE RODS!! Now yer talkin' my language! I live
      in
      > upstate NY so I got to see them 4 times back then. Carl Canedey on
      > the drums...just about the wildest drummer I've ever witnessed..he
      is
      > right up there with Robb R.

      Never was too crazy about Elf, too rock'n'rollish /honky tonkish for
      me. But everything the great Ronnie James Dio recorded after this
      (Rainbow, Sabbath and the Dio band) rules supreme (save for the awful
      Angry Machines album). BTW, it was Dio's birthday on July 10, he's
      now 61. Unbelievable how powerful his voice still is for a man his
      age. I saw him 2 nights back to back last summer (Quebec City and
      Montreal and he was just great). Can't wait to see the Maiden /Dio
      tour on Aug. 1st in Quebec City, even more for Dio than Maiden.

      I like The RODS quite a bit too. Still play their CDs every once in a
      while. High Vaultage Records did a great job at the end of the 90s
      in re-issuing the 1st 4 ones with bonus trx. Never had the chance to
      see them live though. They seemed to get heavier with each album
      they released. I guess my fave my Wild Dogs, the 2nd one, but
      they're all fine hard rock/heavy metal IMO. Their heaviest was their
      last one, Heavier Than Thou (1987). They had a new singer, Shmoulik
      Avigal, a powerful Israelian dude who previously sang on the classic
      PICTURE album Diamond Dreamer (also called Night Hunter) in 1981.
      Avigal can now be heard with Jack Starr's Guardians Of The Flame
      (Starr is the original guitarist of Virgin Steele), who just released
      an excellent traditional HM album this year, Under a Savage Sky.

      BTW, David 'Rock' Feinstein, cousin of Ronie James Dio and one of the
      founders of The Rods is still active. He released an excellent album
      in 2000 called One Night In The Jungle, mid-tempo melodic metal with
      the heavy Hammond organ all over. Rock did the vox on that album.
      Now, this year, he's gonna release his new album, Third Wish, with
      the great American singer John West (from Royal Hunt, Artension, solo
      stuff). I heard the samples and it will be one of 2003's best melodic
      metal releases.

      Guillaume
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 13, 2003
        Hey Guillaume, great post! I bought that "One Night In The Jungle"
        also. I was disappointed because of the melodic, non-Rods style. I
        think he should have stuck to the hard rockin because it certainly
        did not sell more copies by trying to be commercial. Well, I filed it
        on my shelf but maybe I will get it out and try again. If I had to
        pick just one, I think my favorite RODS album was either the 1st or
        Let Them Eat Metal. I spent many nights playing drums along with that
        one(LTEM). Where do they have samples of the new stuff?
        And also Yes Yes Yes Dio's Angry Machines: NO NO NO!!! Ha! Boy, I
        thought that one blew big time. I saw that tour but I went to see
        Motorhead open and I left early during Dio's set,,guitarist just did
        not fit them.
        And don't forget, MOTORHEAD is playing also with Maiden and Dio!!
        Jeesh! hehehe....

        Deaf forever,
        catdeli
      • xcygnusxyyzx
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 13, 2003
          yeah I didnt like ANGRY MACHINES as well
          I sold that album along with strange Highways
          and Magica to afford a Dio Ticket with
          DOUG ALDRICH on Guitars that guy knows how to
          Rock and he fit in.
          Cant wait to see the tour
          But maiden should really be Opening up
          for DIO
          I wish it was Saxon Dio Maiden personally
          but motorhead would be My other Choice
          I love motorhead to DEAF
          ahhahaha
          Keep it real
          and Catdeli you and I will meet at the centrum before the show.
          HOpe fully.
          Will you be at the Perth anvil show next week?
          I will be.
        • glabrek
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 14, 2003
            --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "xcygnusxyyzx"
            <xcygnusxyyzx@y...> wrote:
            > yeah I didnt like ANGRY MACHINES as well
            > I sold that album along with strange Highways
            > and Magica to afford a Dio Ticket with
            > DOUG ALDRICH on Guitars that guy knows how to
            > Rock and he fit in.

            Aldrich is a great player for sure. But Magica and Strange Highways
            (most of it) are fine Dio albums for me.

            > Cant wait to see the tour
            > But maiden should really be Opening up
            > for DIO
            > I wish it was Saxon Dio Maiden personally

            Hell!! I'd prefer Saxon big time too. Maiden/Dio/Saxon would have
            been a dream tour for me. I'm a big Saxon fan, their latest 3 or 4
            albums are my faves from them (even though I like the classic early
            stuff). But I never had the chance to see Saxon live. I'm still
            hoping they could get a tour opening for a bigger act (maybe with
            the reunited Priest next year?).

            > but motorhead would be My other Choice
            > I love motorhead to DEAF
            > ahhahaha

            I like some Motorhead, but I'm not too big a fan. Bastards is a
            killer album and their best by far IMO.

            Guillaume
          • glabrek
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 14, 2003
              > Hey Guillaume, great post! I bought that "One Night In The
              Jungle"
              > also. I was disappointed because of the melodic, non-Rods style. I
              > think he should have stuck to the hard rockin because it certainly
              > did not sell more copies by trying to be commercial. Well, I filed
              it
              > on my shelf but maybe I will get it out and try again.

              ---ONitJ surely doesn't sound like The Rods, but more like a heavier
              Rainbow or Purple, but that's not a problem for me. I like the
              album, but think it could have used a couple more up-tempo songs, as
              most are played at the same slow-to-mid tempo. Some faster stuff
              would have been great. But that "problem" will be fixed with the new
              CD as it seems.

              If I had to
              > pick just one, I think my favorite RODS album was either the 1st or
              > Let Them Eat Metal. I spent many nights playing drums along with
              that
              > one(LTEM). Where do they have samples of the new stuff?

              ---Check out the samples at http://www.rockfeinstein.com/

              ---Let them Eat Metal is another excellent album for them. In fact,
              all are very good to excellent I think.

              > And also Yes Yes Yes Dio's Angry Machines: NO NO NO!!! Ha! Boy, I
              > thought that one blew big time. I saw that tour but I went to see
              > Motorhead open and I left early during Dio's set,,guitarist just
              did
              > not fit them.

              ---Agreed. It was a real pain to see Tracy G butchering all the
              classic Dio stuff. I was really glad when he left. But I still
              think the Strange Highways album where he plays is good.

              > And don't forget, MOTORHEAD is playing also with Maiden and Dio!!
              > Jeesh! hehehe....

              ---Well, I'm not that thrilled to see them, but it will be cool
              anyway. I'll make sure not to forget the earplugs cause Motorhead
              plays LOUD...

              ---Guillaume