ELF

  • xcygnusxyyzx
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11, 2003
      I really Like Elf a lot. I have Carolina County Ball, and Trying to
      Burn the SUn.
      Im a Fire Burnin Higher.
      Tryin to burn the sun.
      Well Just Imagine mY surprise to be there.

      I have So much Dio its unbeleivable

      The only thing I like more than DIo
      is RUSH and lately those two have been
      a Tie in my book.

      I havnt Heard the Electric Elves but that will all change soon enough.
      Take Care for now.
      Dan

      ps. What do you mean, it s not the same band as Killing the dragon?
      Kill ing the dragon isnt a band!!!
      Its the new Dio album and it kicks total ass.
      If you dont like it you need to get your head checked.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 11, 2003
        > ELF I don't think I heard much of their stuff, anyway I don't
        remember the style. What was it, slow and heavy late 60's sounding
        pre-metal? Oh, but THE RODS!! Now yer talkin' my language! I live in
        upstate NY so I got to see them 4 times back then. Carl Canedey on
        the drums...just about the wildest drummer I've ever witnessed..he is
        right up there with Robb R.
        YES, PRIEST! I will be there next year! You can bet they won't be
        playing the clubs any more, I think. Hell, METAL is coming back these
        days, ain't it? Get the AnViL management team on the phone to open
        some shows for Priest maybe?

        Screaming For Vegetables,
        catdeli
      • glabrek
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 13, 2003
          --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, catdeli <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > ELF I don't think I heard much of their stuff, anyway I don't
          > remember the style. What was it, slow and heavy late 60's sounding
          > pre-metal? Oh, but THE RODS!! Now yer talkin' my language! I live
          in
          > upstate NY so I got to see them 4 times back then. Carl Canedey on
          > the drums...just about the wildest drummer I've ever witnessed..he
          is
          > right up there with Robb R.

          Never was too crazy about Elf, too rock'n'rollish /honky tonkish for
          me. But everything the great Ronnie James Dio recorded after this
          (Rainbow, Sabbath and the Dio band) rules supreme (save for the awful
          Angry Machines album). BTW, it was Dio's birthday on July 10, he's
          now 61. Unbelievable how powerful his voice still is for a man his
          age. I saw him 2 nights back to back last summer (Quebec City and
          Montreal and he was just great). Can't wait to see the Maiden /Dio
          tour on Aug. 1st in Quebec City, even more for Dio than Maiden.

          I like The RODS quite a bit too. Still play their CDs every once in a
          while. High Vaultage Records did a great job at the end of the 90s
          in re-issuing the 1st 4 ones with bonus trx. Never had the chance to
          see them live though. They seemed to get heavier with each album
          they released. I guess my fave my Wild Dogs, the 2nd one, but
          they're all fine hard rock/heavy metal IMO. Their heaviest was their
          last one, Heavier Than Thou (1987). They had a new singer, Shmoulik
          Avigal, a powerful Israelian dude who previously sang on the classic
          PICTURE album Diamond Dreamer (also called Night Hunter) in 1981.
          Avigal can now be heard with Jack Starr's Guardians Of The Flame
          (Starr is the original guitarist of Virgin Steele), who just released
          an excellent traditional HM album this year, Under a Savage Sky.

          BTW, David 'Rock' Feinstein, cousin of Ronie James Dio and one of the
          founders of The Rods is still active. He released an excellent album
          in 2000 called One Night In The Jungle, mid-tempo melodic metal with
          the heavy Hammond organ all over. Rock did the vox on that album.
          Now, this year, he's gonna release his new album, Third Wish, with
          the great American singer John West (from Royal Hunt, Artension, solo
          stuff). I heard the samples and it will be one of 2003's best melodic
          metal releases.

          Guillaume
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 13, 2003
            Hey Guillaume, great post! I bought that "One Night In The Jungle"
            also. I was disappointed because of the melodic, non-Rods style. I
            think he should have stuck to the hard rockin because it certainly
            did not sell more copies by trying to be commercial. Well, I filed it
            on my shelf but maybe I will get it out and try again. If I had to
            pick just one, I think my favorite RODS album was either the 1st or
            Let Them Eat Metal. I spent many nights playing drums along with that
            one(LTEM). Where do they have samples of the new stuff?
            And also Yes Yes Yes Dio's Angry Machines: NO NO NO!!! Ha! Boy, I
            thought that one blew big time. I saw that tour but I went to see
            Motorhead open and I left early during Dio's set,,guitarist just did
            not fit them.
            And don't forget, MOTORHEAD is playing also with Maiden and Dio!!
            Jeesh! hehehe....

            Deaf forever,
            catdeli
          • xcygnusxyyzx
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 13, 2003
              yeah I didnt like ANGRY MACHINES as well
              I sold that album along with strange Highways
              and Magica to afford a Dio Ticket with
              DOUG ALDRICH on Guitars that guy knows how to
              Rock and he fit in.
              Cant wait to see the tour
              But maiden should really be Opening up
              for DIO
              I wish it was Saxon Dio Maiden personally
              but motorhead would be My other Choice
              I love motorhead to DEAF
              ahhahaha
              Keep it real
              and Catdeli you and I will meet at the centrum before the show.
              HOpe fully.
              Will you be at the Perth anvil show next week?
              I will be.
            • glabrek
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 14, 2003
                --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "xcygnusxyyzx"
                <xcygnusxyyzx@y...> wrote:
                > yeah I didnt like ANGRY MACHINES as well
                > I sold that album along with strange Highways
                > and Magica to afford a Dio Ticket with
                > DOUG ALDRICH on Guitars that guy knows how to
                > Rock and he fit in.

                Aldrich is a great player for sure. But Magica and Strange Highways
                (most of it) are fine Dio albums for me.

                > Cant wait to see the tour
                > But maiden should really be Opening up
                > for DIO
                > I wish it was Saxon Dio Maiden personally

                Hell!! I'd prefer Saxon big time too. Maiden/Dio/Saxon would have
                been a dream tour for me. I'm a big Saxon fan, their latest 3 or 4
                albums are my faves from them (even though I like the classic early
                stuff). But I never had the chance to see Saxon live. I'm still
                hoping they could get a tour opening for a bigger act (maybe with
                the reunited Priest next year?).

                > but motorhead would be My other Choice
                > I love motorhead to DEAF
                > ahhahaha

                I like some Motorhead, but I'm not too big a fan. Bastards is a
                killer album and their best by far IMO.

                Guillaume
              • glabrek
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 14, 2003
                  > Hey Guillaume, great post! I bought that "One Night In The
                  Jungle"
                  > also. I was disappointed because of the melodic, non-Rods style. I
                  > think he should have stuck to the hard rockin because it certainly
                  > did not sell more copies by trying to be commercial. Well, I filed
                  it
                  > on my shelf but maybe I will get it out and try again.

                  ---ONitJ surely doesn't sound like The Rods, but more like a heavier
                  Rainbow or Purple, but that's not a problem for me. I like the
                  album, but think it could have used a couple more up-tempo songs, as
                  most are played at the same slow-to-mid tempo. Some faster stuff
                  would have been great. But that "problem" will be fixed with the new
                  CD as it seems.

                  If I had to
                  > pick just one, I think my favorite RODS album was either the 1st or
                  > Let Them Eat Metal. I spent many nights playing drums along with
                  that
                  > one(LTEM). Where do they have samples of the new stuff?

                  ---Check out the samples at http://www.rockfeinstein.com/

                  ---Let them Eat Metal is another excellent album for them. In fact,
                  all are very good to excellent I think.

                  > And also Yes Yes Yes Dio's Angry Machines: NO NO NO!!! Ha! Boy, I
                  > thought that one blew big time. I saw that tour but I went to see
                  > Motorhead open and I left early during Dio's set,,guitarist just
                  did
                  > not fit them.

                  ---Agreed. It was a real pain to see Tracy G butchering all the
                  classic Dio stuff. I was really glad when he left. But I still
                  think the Strange Highways album where he plays is good.

                  > And don't forget, MOTORHEAD is playing also with Maiden and Dio!!
                  > Jeesh! hehehe....

                  ---Well, I'm not that thrilled to see them, but it will be cool
                  anyway. I'll make sure not to forget the earplugs cause Motorhead
                  plays LOUD...

                  ---Guillaume