[Academy of Anvil] Re: As I was leaving!!!

  • Heavymetalhead.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2003
      Hey all,

      <<<People have to apply for membership and I get to approve who gets in.>>>

      <<<Yes, I think that's a good idea. Any REAL fans will ask to join.>>>

      Now's as good a time as any to make my first post to the Group. A little (errr, long probably) overdue and it's too bad that it took these spammers and ultimately Tony banning them, to make me chirp up. Glad you did that though Tony. I run a couple of YGroups myself and have had to do the same thing to keep the riff-raff out.

      Anyhoo just wanted to say kudos hellos and heavy metal hails from Regina. It would sure be nice if Anvil could make it out west for a mini-Canada tour cuz I would be front-row and center pumping my fist and banging my head. Lipps, I've been a huge fan of Anvil since summer 1987, I remember it like it was yesterday, my first listen to "Forged In Fire" from an Attic compilation from 1983 (I take my screen name from one of the songs on there in fact hehe) still sticks out in my mind. I was lucky enough to find a Roadrunner pressing from the mid-80s of Hard N Heavy on CD, and I have a few other Anvil CDs even signed by the band. Does the name Jeff Rothney ring a bell by any chance? Hope his name isn'd "mud" or anything LOL.

      ICQ: 131855064 ~~~ MSN/Yahoo: heavymetalhead73
      http://profiles.yahoo.com/heavymetalhead_com/

      http://www.intoeternity.com/ ~~ WATCH FOR 'BURIED IN OBLIVION' IN 2003!
      MY HOMEPAGE: ~~~~ opening soon!!! ~~~~ http://www.heavymetalhead.com/
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5, 2003
        Hey man....How ya doing?

        Since you are from Regina...do you remember an the under-rated band,
        Kick Axe?

        This compilations you speak of...is it Metal For Breakfast which
        includes Blotto's Metalhead?

        Jeff Rothney (collectorscorner) is a good guy. He is a good friend
        of Robb's. Did you buy the signed CDs from him?

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 5, 2003
          Hello .com from Regina! Yess, we all know Jeff...a really good guy. If someone got "Metal for breakfeast", would it be possible to post the songs and the bands that figure on it? I remember that I saw the album in the stores, but I didn't buy it. I guess I didn't cos a band I couldn't stand was on it. Something like Quiet Riot or .... anyway.

          Tony, you amaze me. I'm so glad you decided to "choose the members". How many "fake fans" do we have here? I was on a forum at metalforum.com and the topic was something like "Do you know any Canadian bands?". Crypto..., Obli....., (When you want to touch a large public, you choose a name that everyone can spell, ha?). Someone mentionned Anvil and ask about infos about them, another answered "I heard about them but..." I couldn't believe it, I told myself this forum must be Russian! I logged, I chose a marmot for my "avatar" (lol) and paste the small bio, adding that they were still running and recording after 23 years! http://www.metalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2492&perpage=10&pagenumber=3

          I mean, how can it be! Anvil started to play in Quebec area in a Hotel at L�vis, I heard of them by a guy in my College. In 1980, they started to play in Electric Cercle, and it changes completely people music's orientation.

          Everyone began to have long curly hair, leather coat, buying Judas Priest and Scorpions.....and "LIPS" at the entry of the bar. LIPS's style (cos they were not Anvil yet) stopped the prog wave, and started the metal in my town. In 1981, we began to have shows like April Wine, Marino...hard rock, yunno. When they released "MoM" and became ANVIL, we had in 1982 : Judas Priest, Scorpions, Rainbow, Iron Maiden (they opened for them), Ozzy, Krokus, Def Leppard (???), and many others followed. I heard "Mothra" the first time at the Circle, but I really listen to it live at "Le Cabaret Royal" in Beauport, at the Fall 1981. I couldn't believe it! I was hypnotized by Lips and Robb during the "what can we doooooo...". Drum beat and guitar rythm. That's why it's my favorite song, it reminds me good musical emotions.

          It is wrong to think about Canadian metal without thinking about ANVIL first. I was there, I saw what happened and I like only the REAL things. Anvil is a "real" band. When we say "Pionners", it is the right word. They gave the taste with their own music to listen to Heavy metal, everywhere they went in the early 80's. They went almost everywhere. I'm insulted when people just follow what the others listen to. Dan the pal got taste and I wonder where he is. He's a young man but he doesn't follow, he likes what he likes.Only real fans should be here. For those who skipped to Black or Death metal...it is not their place.

          Thank you Tony, to be a good moderator.

          .com, you see that you're not the only one that writes long message, ha?

          Tange :0)

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 5, 2003
            I have it on cassette and vinyl....I will post the tracklist when I
            get home later today.