Scorpions, Whitesnake & Dokken...ok CAtdeli!

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2003
      Well, I have to say that Catdeli was right. I have some few friends that went to see the show, and they said it was just great. Okay Deli, you were absolutely right. Scorpions made some ballads, but they made my favorite ballad on Tokyo tape!!! :*(

      I have two reviews from Detritus and like a Mea Culpa I'm going to copy them:

      by Tim Wadzinski

      -Scorpions/Whitesnake/Dokken
      Allstate Arena, Rosemont, IL
      February 28, 2003

      -When this tour was announced a few months ago I immediately tagged it
      as a "must-see" because I never saw Whitesnake back in the day. Truth
      be told I was never a *huge* fan of the band, and I thought the videos
      from the 1987 album were horribly overplayed by MTV, but time sure
      changes perspective, eh? It'd been a few years since I saw the Scorps
      on a shed tour with Motley Crue, and although I saw Dokken just seven
      months ago on the Metal Edge-sponsored tour with Ratt, Warrant, and
      L.A. Guns, I was curious to see them again because this tour is the
      first time the band has played areans in forever.

      Dokken (40 minutes)
      Without Warning (intro tape) / Kiss Of Death / Into The Fire /
      Breaking The Chains / Alone Again / It's Not Love / Tooth And Nail /
      In My Dreams

      Just like last summer's tour, this show started with a taped version
      of the instrumental "Without Warning" playing before the band took the
      stage and ripped into the classic "Kiss Of Death." I thought new
      guitarist Alex De Rosso did a fine job last summer, after not having
      been in the band very long, and he's gotten better in the meantime. He
      seemed more comfortable on stage, too. (And his wild mane of hair and
      open shirt gave him a distinct "young Ted Nugent" look.) It wasn't
      *perfect* but then again, George Lynch isn't exactly easy to replace.

      Stage decoration consisted of two vertical banners with heart logos
      hung on the back wall, plus two screens with band logos propped in
      front of the amplifiers. The short "greatest hits"-type set exactly
      matched what was being reported on-line and it was simply a shorter
      version of last summer's set. ("The Hunter," "Little Girl," "Maddest
      Hatter," and "Just Got Lucky" were dropped.) At first I was surprised
      they didn't play anything newer than 1987's "Kiss Of Death," but as
      the evening wore on it made sense -- this was to be a night of "da old
      stuff." (But what of those reports the band would be playing "Dream
      Warriors" on this tour?)

      Don Dokken seems to get beat up a lot on the 'net but his voice
      sounded fine and he appeared to be in high spirits. Like De Rosso he
      wasn't spot-on but some of those high notes have to be tougher to hit
      at this stage of the game, right? Bassist Barry Sparks was all over
      the place making every heavy metal face in the book -- good fun for
      all! He played a short solo during "It's Not Love," during which
      "Wild" Mick Brown dropped a drumstick and Don dropped his mic stand.
      Oops... Spinal Tap lives. :)

      The highlights of the set were the smokin' "Tooth And Nail" (De Rosso
      did a fine job on this one's solo) and the crowd favorite "In My
      Dreams," complete with obligatory sing-along (during which Brown
      played one-handed so he could hold his beer with the other). The show
      ended but the band didn't leave the stage immediately -- Don actually
      led the crowd in another sing/chant-along session with the house
      lights up. I hadn't seen that move before.

      Whitesnake (65 minutes)
      Intro / Bad Boys / Slide It In / Slow An' Easy / Love Ain't No
      Stranger / Judgment Day / Is This Love / Crying In The Rain / Give Me
      All Your Love / Here I Go Again / Still Of The Night

      We missed the very beginning of the set but I'm reasonably certain it
      started with a taped intro, and then the band coolly strolling
      onstage. There was a huge banner with the "Whitesnake" logo and snake
      head (complete with glowing eyes) hanging at the back of the stage,
      and the full lighting rig was used.

      Vocalist David Coverdale immediately made it known he wasn't just
      dialing it in on this tour -- which would be easy since it's a total
      nostalgia trip -- as his voice was strong from the onset. His measured
      actions and aura contributed to a charisma that flat-out screamed "I
      deserve to be on this big stage." He's got quite a presence, I will
      admit. (Just how old is he anyway? Impressively, he's still got that
      "it" thing where the guys want to be him and girls want to be with
      him.)

      After such a long layoff practically every song the band launched into
      was met with a resounding cheer from the crowd. The SLIDE IT IN
      trilogy (starting with that album's title track, which was extended by
      an extra, slow part in the middle) was played in sequence and had
      everyone moving, and SLIP OF THE TONGUE's "Judgment Day" was just
      plain heavy and evil.

      "Is This Love" softened the mood a bit, and Coverdale's impromptu
      Sinatra bits (he was in Chicago after all!) kept everyone laughing. He
      used the classic-but-stupid intro of "Here's a song for ya!" before a
      rollicking version of "Give Me All Your Love," which featured a crowd
      sing-along and a dual guitar solo, and then finally introduced the
      band members.

      The revamped lineup -- guitarists Doug Aldrich and Reb Beach, bassist
      Marco Mendoza, keyboardist Timothy Drury, and drummer Tommy "Fucking"
      Aldridge -- played like a unit rather than a squad of rock 'n' roll
      mercenaries, and collectively sported a laid-back, sorta retro '70s
      look with their clothes but the energy level noticeably exceeded
      Dokken's. (And just how, exactly, do David and the boys make all these
      songs about sex and hummers seem sophisticated? It's a neat trick.)
      Throughout the night Aldrich played more solos than Beach, which
      surprised me as I had them pegged as probably being a 50/50 split.

      The closing duo of big 1987 hits, "Here I Go Again" and "Still Of The
      Night," sent the crowd over the top. I still think the former isn't
      that great of a song, but its effect on people in this live setting
      simply couldn't be ignored: Grown men and women went nuts, singing
      along at the tops of their voices. It was a palpable energy. And I
      couldn't even count the number of air guitars that appeared during
      "Still Of The Night." The crowd definitely wanted an encore, but there
      was none. Leave 'em wanting more, eh?

      Scorpions (90 minutes)
      Intro / Coming Home (part) / Bad Boys Running Wild / The Zoo / We'll
      Burn The Sky / Lovedrive / Coast To Coast / Animal Magnetism / Tease
      Me Please Me / Holiday (part) / No One Like You / guitar solo / Big
      City Nights / Hit Between The Eyes / drum solo / Blackout // Wind Of
      Change / Still Loving You / Rock You Like A Hurricane

      Unless you count the taped intro, which *might* have been something
      from 2000's orchestral release MOMENT OF GLORY, here again was another
      "blast from the past" set. Nothing the Scorpions played was newer than
      a trio of songs from 1990's CRAZY WORLD, but considering the band's
      occasionally spotty output throughout the '90s that's okay. :)

      Just like the last Scorps arena show I saw, at this same venue in '96
      with Alice Cooper, this one featured a huge black "Scorpions" backdrop
      covered with tons of small, glowing lights; the overall effect was
      that of a starfield and it worked brilliantly in conjunction with the
      overhead light show. These guys obviously know their way around an
      arena stage, and it shows.

      Set lists I'd seen on the 'net didn't include "Coming Home" so I was
      pleasantly surprised when the band ripped into it, but they only did
      the first verse before stopping and tearing into "Bad Boys Running
      Wild" instead. Oddly cool, but then the momentum halted with "The
      Zoo." I am probably in the minority here but I really do not like this
      plodder. And it's looooong... At least there was something to watch
      during Mathias Jabs' marathon talk box solo and a crowd sing-along --
      vocalist Klaus Meine casually walked around and threw at least 30
      drumsticks out to the crowd.

      Next up was a surprise, the epic "We'll Burn The Sky" from 1977's
      TAKEN BY FORCE. When the heavier parts kicked in eight columns of
      "fake fire" erupted from atop the amplifiers. (You've seen these
      things -- they're basically giant condoms that stand up and waver when
      air is blown into them, and they glow with orange light and resemble
      flickering fire.) The effect was very striking, but I couldn't help
      but overhear people around me go, "Whoa! Hey wait... that's fake. I
      bet they did that because of Great White!" Uh, I doubt it.

      "Lovedrive" seemed a little slower than normal but still was cool. The
      instrumental "Coast To Coast" featured Meine on third guitar, and then
      "Animal Magnetism" absolutely drove my boner into the ground. Here I'd
      been thinking "The Zoo" was a momentum-killer, but wow is *this* beast
      a slooooooooow song. I didn't recognize it at first; truth be told
      upon hearing the intro I thought it was 1993's "Alien Nation" but no
      dice... Yes they jazzed it up with tons of fog and purple light to
      create a sense of ultimate evil, but sheesh... (After the show I went
      back and listened to the studio version of this song and it sounded
      pretty different, as if the band overly-simplified the live version. I
      swear, live, Rudolf Schenker only played *one* note on rhythm guitar.)

      The simple-but-fun "Tease Me Please Me" woke me up, and it was a gas
      to see Meine playing his damn tambourine so enthusiastically. One time
      he flung it back to a roadie who was *almost* a step late -- he
      basically had to dive to catch it. Then a short a capella version of
      "Holiday" featured Meine and the crowd singing back to him. "No One
      Like You" was met with a big response but it was played at a slower
      pace. (Perhaps to leave enough time for Meine to wing another 30-40
      drumsticks into the crowd?) Then right afterwards, Jabs came out for a
      five-minute solo that pretty much did nothing.

      "Big City Nights," with the entire band singing the chorus vocals, and
      "Hit Between The Eyes" comprised a nice back-to-back burst of energy
      before... yes, another solo. This time drummer James Kottak got his
      spotlight and at least it was more entertaining than Jabs'. I really
      do not need to ever see another live drum solo, but Kottak kept it fun
      by "playing" the framework around his gong with his sticks, smashing a
      beer bottle over his head, and playing the "divide the crowd into
      three sections and make them all cheer" game. "Blackout" ended the
      main part of the set on an up note, and during the song Schenker ran
      around with a guitar that spewed smoke. The thing had all manner of
      hoses sticking out of it, making him look like the long-lost sixth
      Ghostbuster.

      The encore got off to a slow start with the peace anthem "Wind Of
      Change" followed by the fantastic ballad "Still Loving You," and then,
      predictably, ended with the mega-hit "Rock You Like A Hurricane." This
      last tune was augmented by a new mid-section, a weird riff that for
      all I know might've been a piece of a song off of VIRGIN KILLER or
      something, so they threw us at least somewhat of a curveball.

      Schenker never got his own spotlight solo, since he's mostly the
      rhythm guitarist/songwriter guy anyway, but he did take center stage
      to play the solos in "Big City Nights" and "Wind Of Change." Bassist
      Ralph Rieckermann did his usual bits, bopping and grooving around
      pleasantly all night long, and even though he crouched a little he
      still towered over the other guys in the band. :) Kottak sang a ton of
      backing vocals -- always impressive for a drummer, in my opinion --
      and Jabs is still a rock god. And Mr. Meine? Like Ronnie James Dio,
      he's old, he's tiny, and he's still got what it takes. He was a total
      dynamo running and dancing all over the stage, and leading his band
      mates through a ton of poses and choreography. To say this band is "at
      home" on an arena stage is a grave understatement.

      Set list quibbles aside -- I would've easily traded "Animal Magnetism"
      and "The Zoo" for "Make It Real," "Can't Live Without You," "Passion
      Rules The Game," "Dynamite," or "You Give Me What I Need" -- the
      biggest sticking point with the show was the pacing. It seemed like
      every time a fever pitch was reached, a solo or slow song ground
      everything to a halt. Yes, dynamics are good, but in moderation. :)

      -Offhand I don't know exactly how much longer this tour is running,
      but if you're a fan of any of these bands you'd be foolish to miss it.
      Unless the Kiss/Aerosmith tour that kicks off later this year can do
      better, Scorpions/Whitesnake/Dokken will stand as the ultimate melodic
      rock tour of 2003.

      by Sean P. Gahgan (QA2263@...)

      -Scorpions/Whitesnake/Dokken
      Allstate Arena, Rosemont, IL
      February 28, 2003

      -I've been looking forward to this one for a while. The Scorpions
      where one of my favorite bands when I first starting playing guitar, I
      probably learn more Scorpion songs than any other one band in my life.
      I have long thought that Matthias Jabs is one of the most under rated
      guitarists in rock as his solos are well structured yet emotionally
      vicious. He always complements the song and Rudy is just a great song
      writer. Anyway, As much as I was looking forward to this concert, I
      expected that all of these bands would just be doing a greatest hits
      set list so I was setting myself up for a slight disappointment as I
      didn't think I would hear anything out of the ordinary. One point I
      would like to make is that I get very annoyed when a guitarist plays
      someone else's solo and doesn't stay true to the original. Being that
      George Lynch was such a large influence on the L.A. music scene in the
      '80s and that John Sykes is one of my favorite guitarists, I knew that
      I would be extremely critical of their replacements... But I also had
      high expectations for Reb Beach and Doug Aldrich as I admire their
      guitar work. So with that said...on with the review.

      Dokken (40 minutes)
      Kiss Of Death / Into The Fire / Breaking The Chains / Alone Again /
      It's Not Love / Tooth And Nail / In My Dreams

      At 7 p.m., the place was a little less than half full. We had great
      seats, eight rows off the floor on stage right. We had a clear view of
      everything. Opening with the intro to TOOTH AND NAIL, Dokken came out
      with a lot of energy. They of course suffered from opening band
      syndrome and it took about two songs to dial in the sound system. I
      like Dokken, moreso for George Lynch than anything else. I was not
      impressed with Alex De Rosso. He butchered the solos in "Breaking The
      Chains" and "Alone Again." George Lynch has a very fluid style that
      is, in my opinion, very hard to copy. Alex played the other stuff
      adequately but being that "Alone Again" is one of Dokken's signature
      songs, I would have expected him to nail it. The comments that Don
      Dokken and Mick Brown exchanged during songs were fairly humorous but
      I assume most of the crowd was oblivious to them if they were not
      familiar with the two's history together. Barry Sparks is just a
      monster on bass, the guy is incredible. While everyone but Alex sang
      backgrounds, Jeff Pilson's higher voice was sorely missed in the
      harmonies. Don stayed in the lower register to go easy on his voice.
      Speaking of Don, I wasn't knocked out by his performance. I saw Dokken
      two years ago at the House Of Blues in Chicago on the ERASE THE SLATE
      tour and it was the best I have ever heard Don (I've seen them five
      times since 1984). But on this night he seemed off. He did this
      annoying vibrato thing every time he needed to hit a high note.
      Overall I felt this was a very average performance.

      Whitesnake (60 minutes)
      Bad Boys / Slide It In / Slow An' Easy / Love Ain't No Stranger /
      Judgment Day / Is This Love / Crying In The Rain / Give Me All Your
      Love / Here I Go Again / Still Of The Night

      By the time Whitesnake came on at 8:04 p.m., the place was a little
      over three-quarters full. The number one reason I came to this show
      was to see Reb Beach and Doug Aldrich play together. I am a big fan of
      John Sykes so I was very interested to see how well these two pulled
      of his solos. I have seen Blue Murder twice and Sykes with Thin Lizzy
      twice as well. I have seen Whitesnake twice with the Vandenberg/
      Campbell lineup and the Vandenberg/Vai lineup once. Let me tell you...
      This lineup may be the best David Coverdale has put together yet! Of
      the three bands these guys seemed to be having the most fun. Let's
      start with David. For a guy in his 50s he hasn't lost anything. His
      voice was very powerful, and although he got rough in a few spots, he
      didn't shy away from any of the high notes and nailed them all. Very
      impressive. He seemed very genuine and happy to be there... Marco
      Mendoza is a phenomenal bass player, showman, and singer, bouncing
      around stage singing in everyone's microphone and slamming on the
      bass. Tommy Aldridge was as solid as ever. I think I have seen Tommy
      Aldridge more than any other single musician in my life...from Ozzy to
      Thin Lizzy to Whitesnake...I can't remember all of the times I have
      seen him. Timothy Drury (Eagles, Don Henley) was on keyboards and did
      a fine job. As for the dynamic duo of Reb and Doug...they exceeded my
      wildest expectations. I saw Doug a few months ago with Dio and he did
      a great job, staying true to Vivian's solos, but I wasn't knocked out
      by his guitar sound. It seems as if Doug went out of his way to get
      that "Sykes" sound for this tour, complete with the black Les Paul.
      His sound was awesome...he had the sustaining, whining sound that
      Sykes is famous for. The solo in "Is This Love" was played to a tee
      and the harmonies that he and Reb did were beautiful. Very respectful
      to the music. To my surprise Doug did eight out of the 10 main guitar
      solos. I thought it would be spread out a little more even, but I was
      so impressed with Doug's playing and sound I didn't mind. When Reb did
      step up there was no disappointment. As he stayed true to the original
      solo he still managed to infuse his high octane style of playing the
      notes. If you have ever seen Reb live you know he has an incredible
      vibrato technique and is a master of the whammy bar. These two guys
      just plain ripped. I hope that David keeps this band together for a
      studio CD...we'll definitely be in for a treat. This band has
      professionalism written all over it. A must-see for any fan. My only
      disappointment is that they didn't play longer.

      Scorpions (90 minutes)
      Coming Home / Bad Boys Running Wild / The Zoo / We'll Burn The Sky /
      Lovedrive / Coast To Coast / Animal Magnetism / Tease Me Pleas Me / No
      One Like You / Matthias Jabs' guitar solo / Big City Nights / Hit
      Between The Eyes / drum solo / Black Out // Wind Of Change / Still
      Loving You / Rock You Like A Hurricane

      I have seen the Scorps twice before, once in '84 and once in '89 and
      as I said above, I am a big fan. I expected a greatest hits set list
      so I didn't think they were going to top the performance of Whitesnake
      that I just witnessed...man was I wrong! They opened up with about 90
      seconds of "Coming Home" and then blasted into "Bad Boys Running
      Wild"...kind of funny, two bands, back to back, opening their sets
      with a song called "Bad Boys." Anyway...next came "The Zoo" and it was
      great. But when Klaus Meine paused before the next song and said they
      had a special treat for us and that they were going to play some old
      stuff, I never imagined that we were about to here the next four
      songs. Klaus shouted out, "We'll Burn The Sky" and my friends and I
      went nuts. I remember listening to this song over and over on the
      TOKYO TAPES live album in the early '80s. My first thought was, "I
      wonder how Mathias Jabs will play Uli Jon Roth's solo?" He did a great
      job, adding his own style and just ripping at the end. Klaus sung with
      a great deal of emotion and when the chorus kicked in these huge
      flames that were made out of a cloth material and used lights to make
      them look real fire went off in the rear of the stage, four on each
      side. It was a very visual effect. That right there was the highlight
      of the night for me as I never ever thought I would hear that song
      live. It was awesome! After shocking us with that oldie-but-a-goody,
      they jumped right in to "Lovedrive" which was great. Then came "Coast
      To Coast" complete with Klaus playing rhythm guitar. This is such a
      simple song yet it has such a great rhythm and groove. And to top off
      this quadruple blast down memory lane was "Animal Magnetism." This
      song sounding so heavy live...just plodding along...very cool green
      stage lighting made for a very dramatic effect. After those four songs
      I was spent. Seeing them play the old stuff the way they did with so
      much passion, I was just so impressed. They continued with more of
      their hits, and with so many songs to choose from I can't blame them.
      I was disappointed that they did not play anything off of SAVAGE
      AMUSEMENT. Other things to note, James Kottak is a very entertaining
      drummer to watch play. Although his drum solo was nothing out of the
      ordinary, he did break what appeared to be a beer bottle over his head
      at the climax saying, "This Bud's for you." I don't know how many
      people saw it. Klaus started a little sing-along with the crowd before
      "No One Like You." He started singing "Holiday" and went back and
      forth with the crowd. These guys are such a class act and still have
      what it takes after all of these years.

      -Overall just a tremendous concert. I highly recommend to all. I am
      surprised that for three bands the total concert was only four hours.
      Then again, nothing dragged at all so that's not necessarily a bad
      thing.