Old School, but Still Going Strong

  • butterbust
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2003
      Happy Belated Birthday LIPS!

      Saw Halford this weekend in Brooklyn, and there was a (not so) young
      lady wearing an ANVIL T-shirt. I informed her that it was cool and
      that LIPS' birthday was this weekend. She informed me that was why
      she wore the shirt! Well she sure put me in my place.

      Good performance from Halford & Co., especially on Saturday night. My
      only complaint is that some of the weaker songs (in my opinion ) from
      Crucible were aired rather than a few of the better ones. In
      particular I would have much rather heard "Betrayal" rather
      than "Crystal" or "Sun" or "Trail Of Tears." Also the Judas Priest
      selections were obvious: "Breaking the law", "You've Got Another
      Thing Comin", "Living After Midnight" (yawn). Opening the show
      with "painkiller" into "Jawbreaker" was quite cool however! A couple
      of Fight tunes and some the best from Resurection("Silent Screams"
      would have been cool but anyway). Good performance, better sound the
      second night but identical sets.

      Symphony X was an excellent opener and I look forward to seeing this
      great band again when they headline on March 14. Good Stuff.

      LIPS, again Happy Birthday. Hope that you enjoyed Florida, now play a
      show in NEW YORK, man! All the best.
    • captain2man
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2003
        I'd like to echo Butterbust - Happy Birthday Lips!

        I was at the Halford show in Brooklyn on Friday night....I didn't
        notice the Anvil shirt - wish I had.

        I thought he was really good....it seemed like there were some mic
        problems - a lot of feedback at times.

        But - I'll tell you - he's got one hell of a band!! The song
        selection was very strongly from the new record...which, in my
        opinion, is not as good as "Resurrection" - but still damn good after
        a few repeated listens. I had to keep in mind that these were warm-
        up shows for a bigger tour coming up in a couple of months - so I'm
        thinking the band probably played as many new songs as possible -
        just to see what works live, and what doesn't.

        At the Friday night show - he did play a couple of Fight songs -
        "Into the Pit" & "Nailed to the Gun" - which both sounded great. I
        agree - the Priest song selection was way too obvious...but, it was
        still a great show. I mean - when else are you going to see Halford
        in a club-like atmosphere like that, right??

        Symphony X sounded really good, too - but we only caught the last 15
        minutes of their set. Perhaps a bit too theatrical for my
        tastes....but I'd definitely check them out again. Jersey boys!

        --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, butterbust <no_reply@y...>