Majestik interview, hey!

  • tangelaine2000 <tangelaine2000@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2003
      Well, it was not fine to call Lips an "old hero"...I testify that I
      saw a 16 years young girl pulling on Lips's legs when he was playing
      guitar at the Medley, last November. I couldn't believe it! If
      there's someone who doesn't look old, it's him! You step, when you
      see someone 18 years later and that he haven't changed at all.

      Nice interview, I didn't know about the Thin Lizzy affair and Forged
      in Fire. What a weird story, 3 days really!!

      http://www.majesticmagazine.com/interviews/anvil.htm

      Tange :0)
    • captain2man
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2003
        Tange,

        Glad you didn't leave us for good!!!

        I think that the interviewer used the term "old hero" as a term of
        respect. Lips is definitely a heavy metal hero as far as I'm
        concerned - and the guy has been around making amazing music (with
        his partners in crime, of course) for over 20 years now. I don't
        think Lips would feel insulted by being called an "old hero"...would
        you, Lips??

        There was definitely some good info in that interview. The affair
        with John Sykes & all of that...good stuff!!!

        History will have the final say on the "worthiness" of records. What
        sucks is that in Anvil's most creative hour (up until that point) -
        that being the 'Forged in Fire' record - critics reviewed the record
        too quickly, without letting it sink in. FiF is NOT some surface
        level record....there's a lot of depth to it, musically, and, as
        these things go - takes a few listens to fully be realized by the
        listener. Unfortunately - critics don't have the time to give
        records multiple listens before opening up their big mouths.

        Well someone once said, "No monument was ever erected for a critic."
        Robert Moses said, "A critic never built anything." - I have a
        feeling Lips would agree with these quotes - as do I!!! I'm not
        saying reviews don't have their place...but they should never be the
        make or break of a band - as, it seems, was in this case.

        Forged in Fire is a brilliant record....it should have catapulted
        Anvil into the upper echelons of heavy metal history.

        It was not to be...but whereas many bands would give it up....Anvil
        did not. Their love for music & metal just cannot be faked....those
        guys are going to keep making records until the sun goes down for the
        final time....and that's one of the reasons we're all fans.

        - jeff

        --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "tangelaine2000

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2003
          Leave ya for good! Haha! Come on, ask Tony :)

          I'm not quiet sure Lips (Robb too...) likes the term "old" when he's
          concerned...It's not a kind of bad pride, it's just that maybe he
          feels better than in the 80's: he's happier. He feels great! "Old"
          should be a word that we use to describe someone or something
          useless, or without energy. I would like to see Jimmy Page's face if
          an interviewer would call him "old legend".

          With the web, too many reviewers or interviewers arrived. Fred the
          Monster is an Anvil fan, but how many of them are too young to even
          remember the 80's, and the tons of heavy bands that we had in few
          years! Are they qualified to write an opinion about Anvil's stuff?
          Lips told Fred in the interview that when they signed with Metal
          Blade, it was a bit too late....cos they were too many bands. It's
          true.

          During they had their problems, the old bands of the 70's wanted to
          come back in the business. I remember Deep Purple with "Perfect
          Strangers" in 1984. After Anvil released "SoS", Robert Plant were
          back on the stage (May 5, 1988) with "Now and Zen". Anvil was playing
          at the St-Charles Cabaret the same night.

          Most of the reviewers are not informed of all those important
          details. They look only at what they "feel" at the first listening of
          an album. A big mistake it is! I remember the first time that I
          listened to Gentle Giant 8^O.

          Sometimes, I wonder why some reviewers or fans are nostalgics about
          the 80's. It wasn't an easy period (nights were tough), we had to
          spray all kind of stuff to keep our hair "Metal Way". Our jeans were
          so tight that after two beers, we could break our zipper. Twisted
          Sister were not that far from the reality...about women's make up!!!
          We were all looking like "King Lion" with our fluffy hair. Before to
          go see a show, it was 2 hours of settings (a drink or two,
          etc.)...hey!

          I feel free of that now, believe me. The 80's are funny if you didn't
          spend your twenties during this period. In fact, my only good
          memory...not a memory but this is a reality: it's Anvil still making
          music. YAY!