6 new songs

  • anvilips2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 23 6:51 PM
      I thought it might be an idea to tell you a bit about what we've been
      up to in the past months. We now have 6 songs (musical pieces) so far
      one of the 6 actually has lyrics and it's called Bottom Feeder. These
      songs are more of a continuation in the current direction of SGS. One
      of the songs beleive it or not was a song we originally called Taking
      Control which was writen back in late 83, In that time period there
      were many songs that we decided to put away until we could think of
      some better ideas to culminate. I have a simple rule that I follow
      and have since my earliest days, if I remember the riff years later
      it must be worthy. At the time of Pound for Pound we did a
      bastardized version with the song Fire in the Night but in the end I
      think the original riff and key that I came up with at the beginning
      was the real magic. That is were it is now but there are some much
      more improved parts and arrangement ideas. I'm not too sure if Tony
      has heard this but I do remember playing this live a few times along
      with Paper General and Senile King. As you know Senile King was held
      off from recording on Strength to be recorded for Pound. Sometimes
      things happen for a reason but you don't know why until later.
      During the Strength of Steel days I had to put up with Dave Allison
      wanting to change the band into a Motley Crue or Poison, and on top
      of this a manager that really didn't know what direction would be
      best and offered nothing in the way of help. He didn't direct us in
      anyway but Dave felt that being signed to such a manager warranted
      writing music that would be super radio hits, a la Def Leppard. Of
      course we all know that a band like Anvil would never be accepted
      playing such music, just the name tells you that. I felt as though I
      was at war with my own band! The only salvageable heavy songs were
      Paper General , Flight of the Bumble Beast, Kiss of Death and
      Concrete Jungle. Even those songs were not heavy enough for the time
      they came out. In some cases like with the song Taking Control we
      droped it at the time because it was a little too intence with what
      we were attempting at the time. In fact Embalmer was one of those
      songs, originally called Ball Breaker, "she's a hot sweet bitch gonna
      get off so quick , your just another trick" I think I still have the
      original lyric sheet with red magic marker in Dave's hand writing. I
      have done this kind of thing all through the years and it's really
      cool to do because you discover were you might have made the wrong
      choice and get to fix it.
      On another note please don't get offended if I don't agree with you
      on what your favourite Anvil song is, it's just important for me to
      know you like any of it. Tony is absolutely correct in his statement,
      I wouldn't have recorded it if I didn't like it, so therefore thank
      you to everybody for loving the songs you love.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 23 7:13 PM
        Hey wow LIPS, I like stories like that...I heard SoS songs during 4 years, 8 shows before the album has been released. I don't know if you remember summer 83 (July), who was this weighty manager who asked me to "sleep with him" for money? This ugly elephant was at Montmagny near Quebec City. He was at the Bar Univers too...I was looking at the show and he came to ask me that, he has been lucky that I couldn't say a word in English at the time...I mean a bad word! It was in the same period that the small "Robert Plant" was taking care of the sound (too loud!). The black hair guy in 1981 was the best....He knew how to adjust the sound to the size of each bar: you named him when I saw you in Montreal. He was in the album Metal on Metal, with the little picture....yunno. He was great (and cute) this guy.
        Happy to know that you're working on music. It's a chance to be a musician, it's an opportunity that is not allowed to everybody...Keep on rocking Lips! Yup, Tony is right, we all got our serious and funny side. You're an artist: you express yourself in the both way.
        ´┐Żlaine :O)

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 24 4:26 AM
          >One
          > of the songs beleive it or not was a song we originally called Taking
          > Control which was writen back in late 83,
          > I'm not too sure if Tony
          > has heard this but I do remember playing this live a few times along
          > with Paper General and Senile King.

          I have 2 bootlegs from June of 1984 with this song... "Taking control
          Power rules my soul".

          > The only salvageable heavy songs were
          > Paper General , Flight of the Bumble Beast, Kiss of Death and
          > Concrete Jungle.

          Kiss of Death is fantastic!!! I didn't care for it back when it came
          out but now I love it. It was a song that took me time to
          appreciate...several years in fact. It has this chilling mood.
          What about Mad Dog? It's kind of goofy but it is a fun song. I've
          always liked it.

          > In fact Embalmer was one of those
          > songs, originally called Ball Breaker, "she's a hot sweet bitch gonna
          > get off so quick , your just another trick" I think I still have the
          > original lyric sheet with red magic marker in Dave's hand writing.

          I'd like to read that.