HEEP

  • anvilips2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 21, 2002
      I have always loved this band, I first met Lee Kerslake at the
      Monsters of Rock Festival in 82 where Heep also played. All the bands
      that played that day recieved a framed plack as a memento, mine is
      hung by the washroom, well so is Lee Kerslake's. It was a very funny
      moment after Heep's set at BYH, I had watched the entire set from
      backstage and a number of songs right behind Lee, although he didn't
      know as I was behind curtains. I was totally blown away at the power
      and sureness I saw in Lee's playing. Immediately after the set I
      waited for Lee as he came off the drum riser and walked toward me. I
      shoke his hand and introduced myself and he was absolutley over joyed
      to meet up again after almost 20 years. I was quite astonished that
      he remembered Anvil but he soon explained that everytime he goes to
      the bog(toilet)he sees the Monster of Rock plack with Anvil's logo on
      it. Of course we had a good laugh about that. G5 and I spent quite a
      while talking to Lee, and he told us so many neat stories. We also
      got to meet with Bernie, who we found out was also Canadian. I hadn't
      seen Heep with this line up as in 82 they had a different singer. We
      only briefly talked to Mick as he walked past us on his way to the
      food tent while we were having a couple of beers with Bernie and a
      couple of fellow Candians from Eidolon. Needless to say it was a
      great experience and there were many more such highlights I haven't
      even begun to mention. Being quite overwhelmed at the time we stayed
      up all night on the last night before our flight in the morning, but
      during this night I wrote the lyrics for Still Going Strong, as G5
      kept a constant flow of betees and ideas going til we were shit faced
      tired and dragged our asses into cabs to the airport. On returning to
      home we began writing more songs and being overwhelmed by Heep , I
      recycled some old Heep into some of our songs. I don't think anyone
      will mind, only the timing and feel are simular but if you played one
      song after the other you would find them very different, I was trying
      to capture the spirit of the old school sound not the song.
    • Eric Piccelli
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 22, 2002
        Hey, Lips.

        I think you did a great job capturing the spirit
        of the old school.

        I guess the real challenge when someone tries to
        do that is to remain original. And that you did well.

        Cheers.

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com