Yeah!!! Let's send a Christmas card to Frank!

  • Élaine
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2002
      ANVIL
      Still Going Strong
      (Massacre Records)
      42:29min

      http://www.voicesfromthedarkside.de/review-a2.htm

      All those of you who are going to complain about an ANVIL review in VOICES
      now can fuck off! These Canadian masters of intense Metal certainly deserve
      a lot more recognition than the majority of wannabee-brutal copycats that we
      have to deal with day by day. I actually get constantly pissed whenever
      there's a new killer album out by Lips & the gang, and except for a small
      and dedicated fanbase (all hail to thee!), nobody really seems to care about
      the brilliance of these guys. I just don't get it, because ever since 1982's
      alltime classic "Metal On Metal" (we better leave out the still kinda weak
      debut "Hard'n'Heavy" here) ANVIL have already produced tons of great Metal
      tunes and never really wimped out or changed their style in order to reach a
      bigger audience. ANVIL have always just been ANVIL and they already played
      Speed Metal when the guys from METALLICA were still worshipping their NWOBHM
      records and the term 'Speed Metal' didn't even exist yet! "Still Going
      Strong", their eleventh regular studio album (not counting the "Backwaxed"
      compilation and "Past And Present" live album), is probably their strongest
      effort for quite some time! Not only in years, but ever since 1983's
      legendary "Forged In Fire"! It's actually even quite close to that monster
      of an album in many aspects. While some of the last ANVIL records were
      slightly heavier and almost Thrash influenced, the whole songwriting on this
      new release is pretty much back to basics again. The crunchy guitar sound is
      completely over the top and Lips' unique vocal performance as well as his
      incredible leads exactly continue on where he left off with the last note of
      'Winged Assassins' back in those glorious days. Drummer Robb Reiner, who has
      been an alltime favorite of mine for many many years, not only proves his
      unbelievable talent once again, he's without a doubt another big trademark
      of the unmistakable ANVIL sound and definitely a completely underrated
      fellow (just check out 'White Rhino' for that)! From uptempo material to
      rather slow tunes ANVIL once again cover the whole spectrum, within the
      boundaries of their own beautiful little Metal world. I could easily go on
      praising "Still Going Strong" forever now, but it probably won't change
      anything at all (as usual). So, I will simply address this review to all
      those of you who are still clever enough to seperate good Metal from crappy
      noise. Essential!

      Frank Stöver