Réf. : [Academy of Anvil] Re: anvil homepage

  • (no author)
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 10, 2002
      It took me two times before to understand well your email Tony...

      LIPS! Come on...It's not a question of cash to be on the Web, it's a
      question to keep the people informed. How do you expect to have people in
      your next shows if it's not on the Web. I understand that you don't like
      Internet and computer things, but most of the people now use Internet for
      infos, to read newspaper, to shop and it's a REALITY. The web is a library..
      You don't want that people know what and who was Anvil in 10 years?....All
      this work is going to be "forgotten". Yes your music is great and maybe for
      Anvil it's not important a web site...But most of the people are "visual
      people", like me. I listen to Anvil and used to read the lyrics on the web
      site. The lyrics in a CD are written too small, well I don't like to put my
      glasses all the time! I'm not agree at ALL! Acting this way, it looks like
      you consider yourselves "over" all the other bands. And really, I'm
      surprised that you act this way...it's not you! I know you're not alone in
      Anvil, but it goes also for the rest of the band. Why are we here, Christ!!!
      Why are we discussing about a band that ain't got no website? THIS IS A NON
      SENSE. The love of music is great, but the respect of your fans is too.

      Tange #?!!@ !!!

      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 10, 2002
        There is no reason to get upset. They have families that depend on
        them. They have to prioritize their spending.

        I took your advice and now have all the pictures on a Geocities site.
        They give 15MB free. The only thing that will be lost is the video
        clips now.

        http://www.tbaytel.net/tgallo/anvil

        Tony
      • (no author)
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 10, 2002
          I'm not upset...I always say or write my real thoughts and Lips knows it. I
          found it irrealist and unjustified just before the release of SGS, maybe the
          best stuff they did since the last 10 years (maybe more). I was sad a bit..
          it's because of this RIP site that I found Anvil after 15 years...sometimes
          I express my sadness a rough way but I work on it. I'm not dangerous, I don
          t bite and when it's said....it's said.

          I find you got a good character Tony ( I know... better than mine is not
          difficult) and I'm happy you kept the pics. What makes me upset, is that
          they didn't tell you...you took all your collection in pics to put on the
          website and it's a big job. It's the only reason why I was a bit "reactive".
          Respecting fans...yunno. :)

          Tange :)

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 12, 2002
            Tony,

            The newer "economical" site still looks pretty damn good.

            At first - I was almost angry at the band for letting their most
            powerful promotional tool go by the wayside (I'm proud to say that
            this message board is probably their 2nd most powerful tool)...but
            the site is still more than serviceable - even without the videos.

            Is there any way of keeping the domain name, though?? It's important
            to have an easy to remember URL, I think.

            I also thought of having us maybe chip in to help with the site.
            Damn man......I'd throw my few bucks into the pot.

            Cool to see that more than a couple of people had the same idea.

            Talk about "supportive" fans......we take the cake!

            - jeff

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 13, 2002
              Jeff,

              Yes it's "economical", and sure Tony did a great job. I'm building an
              economical site too, with a page where people would post their own
              reviews about SGS (I'll control), lol. I'm looking for a "free
              banners" chat room with voice and cam (yes Lips, I'm a computer
              drone!) I don't give a damn about banners. The worst place to be
              spammed is ...... HERE in this Yahoo group. I don't know how much
              bulk mail I get since they changed it in groups instead of Clubs.
              Catdeli told me once how to set my account, but it was so complicated
              that I think I didn't do it right. It's about the "marketing"
              something... Hey Deli! Write again how to get to this option and
              disactivate it, please.

              Banners? It can't be worst than it is here... It doesn't matter that
              Anvil gets its own site "not commercial", I don't care..I just want
              to know what's going on with them. Information, that's all I want.
              Tony understood that...

              We all had (almost) a period where we had to choose "which bills to
              pay first". Anvil got to rent a lot of places for the rehearsals,
              they didn't play a lot last years...and they want in Greece :) But,
              when you'll hear what is on the next album: you will understand that
              they put a lot of time to create the music. When you'll hear the
              arrangements in studio, you will understand that they put all the
              money on the recording. When inspiration is there, it's time to
              express it. A web site: there's always time to build one. Who shit
              money here? Money makes so much trouble in this world, we're not
              going to enter in this game.

              I was damn mad when Tony wrote that they were "music lovers" and that
              the website was gone. But now I know now that it was the right thing
              to do. More I listen to this tunes, more I like them....and unusual
              thing: I loved at first listening...So I HOPE that everybody is going
              to BUY that jewel...If everybody get copies, forget the "promotial
              tool". As I see guys, sometimes you $support$ a lot more "EBAY" than
              Anvil themselves.

              If I remember well Jeff , you had a Plenty of Power's copy? No...?
              Were you making some economy for your own album at this time? :)

              I apologize to LIPS, sincerely, for the bad way I reacted. We are
              fans and we are supposed to support them "in the good, in the bad".
              I'm pretty sure he's not feeling good about the website that closed ,
              but we'll all be "rocked" by their SGS. Music.....that's all I want.
              Tony saved the site and he did a great job. We have to stay together,
              and to stand by Anvil.

              Tange :)

              --- In academyofanvil@y..., captain2man <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > Tony,
              >
              > The newer "economical" site still looks pretty damn good.
              >
              > At first - I was almost angry at the band for letting their most
              > powerful promotional tool go by the wayside (I'm proud to say that
              > this message board is probably their 2nd most powerful tool)...but
              > the site is still more than serviceable - even without the videos.
              >
              > Is there any way of keeping the domain name, though?? It's
              important
              > to have an easy to remember URL, I think.
              >
              > I also thought of having us maybe chip in to help with the site.
              > Damn man......I'd throw my few bucks into the pot.
              >
              > Cool to see that more than a couple of people had the same idea.
              >
              > Talk about "supportive" fans......we take the cake!
              >
              > - jeff
              >

              > --- In academyofanvil@y..., tgalloca <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > > There is no reason to get upset. They have families that depend on
              > > them. They have to prioritize their spending.
              > >
              > > I took your advice and now have all the pictures on a Geocities
              > site.
              > > They give 15MB free. The only thing that will be lost is the video
              > > clips now.
              > >
              > > http://www.tbaytel.net/tgallo/anvil
              > >

              > > Tony
            • captain2man
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 13, 2002
                Tony has done an excellent job with the Anvil site over the
                years...absolutely.

                The new "cheap" site still looks great....I just wish a more
                memorable domain name can be applied to the website.....can Anvil
                change the artwork on the new album so that the new URL is listed in
                the CD??

                Lips: it would also be cool if this message board could have your
                endorsement in the new CD.

                The website is great for news & tour dates & stuff....but this
                message board has been pretty incredible, I think.....bonding
                together those members of the Anvil fan family who live in
                cyberspace - with occasional posts from Lips.

                Tange: as far as money goes - and deciding what bills to pay & all
                of that.....I find it hard to believe that the guys in the band are
                paying for their own recording. If they are - they need to find a
                new record label or just put out their records themselves & reap ALL
                the rewards (i.e. profits) from their labor. The record label should
                absolutely be paying for their recording, packaging, mastering,
                pressing, distribution, advertising, etc. That is the record label's
                responsibility - not the band's. So - I don't think it was a matter
                of the Anvil boys saying, "Either we pay for the recording or we pay
                for the website."

                My band's website is pretty professional looking - and we have a
                video clip up there - and the site isn't that much money.....I think
                I pay less than $20/month......Tony - if you're paying more than
                this - maybe it's just finding a new provider or something.

                It's hard to believe that the 4 guys in Anvil can't chip in $5/month
                each to pay for their website.

                Nevertheless....whatever they choose to do is what they choose to
                do.....the website as it stands now is damn fine!

                - jeff

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 13, 2002
                  Okay Jeff,

                  LIPS doesn't post because he's too happy, too excited about the album
                  and he's going to describe us each song, lol ! I know your website
                  looks "professional", and it's true that sometimes it doesn't cost
                  that much. But, at the Fall Captain you'll see who are
                  the "professionals". LOOKING and BEING are two different things. I
                  tell you.....this album is the best they did. When you can't classify
                  an album in a specific category, it means there's a lot of work on it.

                  I understand what you mean, but that is their decision and as good
                  fans, we should know that they won't change their mind cos we yell!
                  You know Lips, Jeff ? Do you know Robb? When they decide that is
                  black, it's not white. We live in a free world.

                  Your site is great and I visit it sometimes...but when you'll hear
                  SGS, well you won't care about the "cheap" website. And yunno, what
                  is that "no_reply" on your mail?

                  Sincerely,

                  Élaine :)

                • captain2man
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 13, 2002
                    Wow!!!

                    I thought we were friends, Tange.

                    My post wasn't about my band.......it was about websites.....it was a
                    constructive post - not a negative attack against the band or their
                    website - or their webmaster.

                    I said our WEBSITE looks professional - and it's done economically.
                    If we can do it - Anvil can do it.

                    I'm not quite sure why you started going off on my band - or trying
                    to compare us to Anvil - that just doesn't make any sense.....it's
                    not what I was trying to do.

                    Do I know Lips?? Yes - I know who he is. We talk when they come
                    through town & I e-mail him occasionally. No - I do not know Robb
                    other than a hello or 2 when I see them. But - what's the
                    difference?? As a fan - must I agree with every thing the band
                    does?? No - I don't think so. I think being a true fan means
                    feeling free to express your opinions about things, and to criticize
                    when necessary. I haven't even heard the new Anvil record yet - and
                    I can't wait. But - if after listening to it a lot, and letting it
                    sink in, if I don't like it - then I'll express that opinion. If I
                    love it (which I'm sure I will) - then I'll express THAT opinion.
                    I'll leave blind loyalty to the groupies......I'm a music fan & an
                    Anvil fan (if I wasn't - I never would have set-up this message board
                    to begin with). This IS a free world (well - my little section of it
                    is, anyway)......and because it is a free world - we are allowed to
                    our opinions & to express them.

                    Whether the guys in Anvil takes anything we say into consideration -
                    or throws them down the toilet is THEIR act of freewill. But it
                    doesn't mean any of us should just blindly chime away in a mantra -
                    "Everything Anvil does is great. Everything Anvil does is great.
                    Everything Anvil does is great." That's not my style - nor will it
                    ever be.

                    My post was actually a positive post, I felt. It made suggestions &
                    made commentary, and stated facts about who should be paying for
                    what. It also complimented Tony, our Anvil webmaster, for keeping
                    the Anvil site looking pretty much exactly the same as it always did,
                    while keeping the cost down.

                    You somehow twisted my post into negativity......I'm not sure why you
                    would do that.

                    Also.......I have no idea what you're talking about with the "no
                    reply" thing......you know I love receiving e-mails from you. Maybe
                    I have to change something in my settings or something. You can e-
                    mail me anytime privately - captain2man@...

                    Take care.