Re: anvil homepage

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 9, 2002
      I hope so too. It's up to the band though. I originally started the
      page in my own web space I get with my internet account. I only get
      5MB though. The band later bought the domain name and paid for
      hosting. I just moved my page over and added more pics and some
      videos.

      The band stopped paying for hosting. They don't make alot of money
      from Anvil. They does it for the love of the music..not the cash. So
      they really can't afford to dump to much money into a webpage. I do
      the page for fun and to promote the band. But I'm not interested in
      spending money on it. So I really don't want to pay for the hosting.
      So I am going to put it back in my own web space. The URL will be:

      http://www.tbaytel.net/tgallo/anvil

      I hope to have it up tonight. It will be mainly an info site. You will
      still be able to get the latest news and tour dates but the visual
      content (live pics and vids) will be removed.

      If the band decides to pay for hosting again, I will move the page
      back in all it's glory.

      Tony

      P.S. I'm listening to SGS for the second time. It's great. It's not
      really heavy but very good groovy power metal along the lines of
      Plenty of Power and Dirty Dorothy.

      --- In academyofanvil@y..., slugguit <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > That's a real drag Tony...
      >
      > Hope you'll get it back someday.
      >
      > --- In academyofanvil@y..., tgalloca <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > Due to financial restraints www.anvilmetalonmetal.com is no
      more...
    • (no author)
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 9, 2002
        Well Tony,

        We can maybe link your space with a geocities site. I got Monday, Tuesday
        off, I can maybe built something to put the pics at least. Email me if you
        want me to help you. We can't let it like that, SGS is going to be released!
        Maybe we can seperate the work and do something nice and quick. Let me know!
        They didn't pay the hosting? You don't have to do it...banners are not so
        bad after all. I work all week end.

        Tange :)

        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 10, 2002
          It took me two times before to understand well your email Tony...

          LIPS! Come on...It's not a question of cash to be on the Web, it's a
          question to keep the people informed. How do you expect to have people in
          your next shows if it's not on the Web. I understand that you don't like
          Internet and computer things, but most of the people now use Internet for
          infos, to read newspaper, to shop and it's a REALITY. The web is a library..
          You don't want that people know what and who was Anvil in 10 years?....All
          this work is going to be "forgotten". Yes your music is great and maybe for
          Anvil it's not important a web site...But most of the people are "visual
          people", like me. I listen to Anvil and used to read the lyrics on the web
          site. The lyrics in a CD are written too small, well I don't like to put my
          glasses all the time! I'm not agree at ALL! Acting this way, it looks like
          you consider yourselves "over" all the other bands. And really, I'm
          surprised that you act this way...it's not you! I know you're not alone in
          Anvil, but it goes also for the rest of the band. Why are we here, Christ!!!
          Why are we discussing about a band that ain't got no website? THIS IS A NON
          SENSE. The love of music is great, but the respect of your fans is too.

          Tange #?!!@ !!!

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 10, 2002
            There is no reason to get upset. They have families that depend on
            them. They have to prioritize their spending.

            I took your advice and now have all the pictures on a Geocities site.
            They give 15MB free. The only thing that will be lost is the video
            clips now.

            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 10, 2002
              I'm not upset...I always say or write my real thoughts and Lips knows it. I
              found it irrealist and unjustified just before the release of SGS, maybe the
              best stuff they did since the last 10 years (maybe more). I was sad a bit..
              it's because of this RIP site that I found Anvil after 15 years...sometimes
              I express my sadness a rough way but I work on it. I'm not dangerous, I don
              t bite and when it's said....it's said.

              I find you got a good character Tony ( I know... better than mine is not
              difficult) and I'm happy you kept the pics. What makes me upset, is that
              they didn't tell you...you took all your collection in pics to put on the
              website and it's a big job. It's the only reason why I was a bit "reactive".
              Respecting fans...yunno. :)

              Tange :)

              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 12, 2002
                Tony,

                The newer "economical" site still looks pretty damn good.

                At first - I was almost angry at the band for letting their most
                powerful promotional tool go by the wayside (I'm proud to say that
                this message board is probably their 2nd most powerful tool)...but
                the site is still more than serviceable - even without the videos.

                Is there any way of keeping the domain name, though?? It's important
                to have an easy to remember URL, I think.

                I also thought of having us maybe chip in to help with the site.
                Damn man......I'd throw my few bucks into the pot.

                Cool to see that more than a couple of people had the same idea.

                Talk about "supportive" fans......we take the cake!

                - jeff

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 13, 2002
                  Jeff,

                  Yes it's "economical", and sure Tony did a great job. I'm building an
                  economical site too, with a page where people would post their own
                  reviews about SGS (I'll control), lol. I'm looking for a "free
                  banners" chat room with voice and cam (yes Lips, I'm a computer
                  drone!) I don't give a damn about banners. The worst place to be
                  spammed is ...... HERE in this Yahoo group. I don't know how much
                  bulk mail I get since they changed it in groups instead of Clubs.
                  Catdeli told me once how to set my account, but it was so complicated
                  that I think I didn't do it right. It's about the "marketing"
                  something... Hey Deli! Write again how to get to this option and
                  disactivate it, please.

                  Banners? It can't be worst than it is here... It doesn't matter that
                  Anvil gets its own site "not commercial", I don't care..I just want
                  to know what's going on with them. Information, that's all I want.
                  Tony understood that...

                  We all had (almost) a period where we had to choose "which bills to
                  pay first". Anvil got to rent a lot of places for the rehearsals,
                  they didn't play a lot last years...and they want in Greece :) But,
                  when you'll hear what is on the next album: you will understand that
                  they put a lot of time to create the music. When you'll hear the
                  arrangements in studio, you will understand that they put all the
                  money on the recording. When inspiration is there, it's time to
                  express it. A web site: there's always time to build one. Who shit
                  money here? Money makes so much trouble in this world, we're not
                  going to enter in this game.

                  I was damn mad when Tony wrote that they were "music lovers" and that
                  the website was gone. But now I know now that it was the right thing
                  to do. More I listen to this tunes, more I like them....and unusual
                  thing: I loved at first listening...So I HOPE that everybody is going
                  to BUY that jewel...If everybody get copies, forget the "promotial
                  tool". As I see guys, sometimes you $support$ a lot more "EBAY" than
                  Anvil themselves.

                  If I remember well Jeff , you had a Plenty of Power's copy? No...?
                  Were you making some economy for your own album at this time? :)

                  I apologize to LIPS, sincerely, for the bad way I reacted. We are
                  fans and we are supposed to support them "in the good, in the bad".
                  I'm pretty sure he's not feeling good about the website that closed ,
                  but we'll all be "rocked" by their SGS. Music.....that's all I want.
                  Tony saved the site and he did a great job. We have to stay together,
                  and to stand by Anvil.

                  Tange :)

                  --- In academyofanvil@y..., captain2man <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > Tony,
                  >
                  > The newer "economical" site still looks pretty damn good.
                  >
                  > At first - I was almost angry at the band for letting their most
                  > powerful promotional tool go by the wayside (I'm proud to say that
                  > this message board is probably their 2nd most powerful tool)...but
                  > the site is still more than serviceable - even without the videos.
                  >
                  > Is there any way of keeping the domain name, though?? It's
                  important
                  > to have an easy to remember URL, I think.
                  >
                  > I also thought of having us maybe chip in to help with the site.
                  > Damn man......I'd throw my few bucks into the pot.
                  >
                  > Cool to see that more than a couple of people had the same idea.
                  >
                  > Talk about "supportive" fans......we take the cake!
                  >
                  > - jeff
                  >

                  > --- In academyofanvil@y..., tgalloca <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > > There is no reason to get upset. They have families that depend on
                  > > them. They have to prioritize their spending.
                  > >
                  > > I took your advice and now have all the pictures on a Geocities
                  > site.
                  > > They give 15MB free. The only thing that will be lost is the video
                  > > clips now.
                  > >
                  > > http://www.tbaytel.net/tgallo/anvil
                  > >

                  > > Tony
                • captain2man
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 13, 2002
                    Tony has done an excellent job with the Anvil site over the
                    years...absolutely.

                    The new "cheap" site still looks great....I just wish a more
                    memorable domain name can be applied to the website.....can Anvil
                    change the artwork on the new album so that the new URL is listed in
                    the CD??

                    Lips: it would also be cool if this message board could have your
                    endorsement in the new CD.

                    The website is great for news & tour dates & stuff....but this
                    message board has been pretty incredible, I think.....bonding
                    together those members of the Anvil fan family who live in
                    cyberspace - with occasional posts from Lips.

                    Tange: as far as money goes - and deciding what bills to pay & all
                    of that.....I find it hard to believe that the guys in the band are
                    paying for their own recording. If they are - they need to find a
                    new record label or just put out their records themselves & reap ALL
                    the rewards (i.e. profits) from their labor. The record label should
                    absolutely be paying for their recording, packaging, mastering,
                    pressing, distribution, advertising, etc. That is the record label's
                    responsibility - not the band's. So - I don't think it was a matter
                    of the Anvil boys saying, "Either we pay for the recording or we pay
                    for the website."

                    My band's website is pretty professional looking - and we have a
                    video clip up there - and the site isn't that much money.....I think
                    I pay less than $20/month......Tony - if you're paying more than
                    this - maybe it's just finding a new provider or something.

                    It's hard to believe that the 4 guys in Anvil can't chip in $5/month
                    each to pay for their website.

                    Nevertheless....whatever they choose to do is what they choose to
                    do.....the website as it stands now is damn fine!

                    - jeff

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 13, 2002
                      Okay Jeff,

                      LIPS doesn't post because he's too happy, too excited about the album
                      and he's going to describe us each song, lol ! I know your website
                      looks "professional", and it's true that sometimes it doesn't cost
                      that much. But, at the Fall Captain you'll see who are
                      the "professionals". LOOKING and BEING are two different things. I
                      tell you.....this album is the best they did. When you can't classify
                      an album in a specific category, it means there's a lot of work on it.

                      I understand what you mean, but that is their decision and as good
                      fans, we should know that they won't change their mind cos we yell!
                      You know Lips, Jeff ? Do you know Robb? When they decide that is
                      black, it's not white. We live in a free world.

                      Your site is great and I visit it sometimes...but when you'll hear
                      SGS, well you won't care about the "cheap" website. And yunno, what
                      is that "no_reply" on your mail?

                      Sincerely,

                      Élaine :)

                    • captain2man
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 13, 2002
                        Wow!!!

                        I thought we were friends, Tange.

                        My post wasn't about my band.......it was about websites.....it was a
                        constructive post - not a negative attack against the band or their
                        website - or their webmaster.

                        I said our WEBSITE looks professional - and it's done economically.
                        If we can do it - Anvil can do it.

                        I'm not quite sure why you started going off on my band - or trying
                        to compare us to Anvil - that just doesn't make any sense.....it's
                        not what I was trying to do.

                        Do I know Lips?? Yes - I know who he is. We talk when they come
                        through town & I e-mail him occasionally. No - I do not know Robb
                        other than a hello or 2 when I see them. But - what's the
                        difference?? As a fan - must I agree with every thing the band
                        does?? No - I don't think so. I think being a true fan means
                        feeling free to express your opinions about things, and to criticize
                        when necessary. I haven't even heard the new Anvil record yet - and
                        I can't wait. But - if after listening to it a lot, and letting it
                        sink in, if I don't like it - then I'll express that opinion. If I
                        love it (which I'm sure I will) - then I'll express THAT opinion.
                        I'll leave blind loyalty to the groupies......I'm a music fan & an
                        Anvil fan (if I wasn't - I never would have set-up this message board
                        to begin with). This IS a free world (well - my little section of it
                        is, anyway)......and because it is a free world - we are allowed to
                        our opinions & to express them.

                        Whether the guys in Anvil takes anything we say into consideration -
                        or throws them down the toilet is THEIR act of freewill. But it
                        doesn't mean any of us should just blindly chime away in a mantra -
                        "Everything Anvil does is great. Everything Anvil does is great.
                        Everything Anvil does is great." That's not my style - nor will it
                        ever be.

                        My post was actually a positive post, I felt. It made suggestions &
                        made commentary, and stated facts about who should be paying for
                        what. It also complimented Tony, our Anvil webmaster, for keeping
                        the Anvil site looking pretty much exactly the same as it always did,
                        while keeping the cost down.

                        You somehow twisted my post into negativity......I'm not sure why you
                        would do that.

                        Also.......I have no idea what you're talking about with the "no
                        reply" thing......you know I love receiving e-mails from you. Maybe
                        I have to change something in my settings or something. You can e-
                        mail me anytime privately - captain2man@...

                        Take care.