Réf. : [Academy of Anvil] Re: Eddie Trunk

  • captain2man
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9 7:43 AM
      Most radio guys are dishonest because they have to be. They have no
      control over their own shows....they are told what to play by program
      directors. And, being honest and saying you don't like something on
      the air would often mean an immediate dismissal.

      Eddie Trunk is a much more "honest" D.J. than most. He has complete
      creative control over his own show....he picks what he wants to play -
      which often means he plays songs you would never in a million years
      expect to hear on the radio. He often goes longer than his 2 a.m.
      end-time (he's been on the air as late as 3 a.m. sometimes).

      And...the best thing about it - is that his radio show is on a radio
      station which is NOT a music radio station...therefore, there is no
      need to kiss the ass of the record industry, and Eddie is often very
      honest with his feelings about music. He'll play a new record, and
      if it sucks...he'll say, "Wow - that sucks."

      He's the best D.J. out there - and anything positive he does for
      Anvil will be huge.

      As for t-shirts....everytime I've seen them - they have set up a
      little merch table. Hey....if those guys want to take me on the road
      with them to roadie & sell their merch....all they have to do is say
      the word. Otherwise...they seem to do a pretty good job on their own.

      Anvil played the same night as Iron Maiden did a couple of years ago
      (how's that for timing?)....I knew Anvil wasn't going to go on until
      after the Maiden show let out, so I wore my Anvil t-shirt as an
      advertisement....and a few people did come up to me and commented on
      my shirt..."hey man....that's awesome, you're wearing an Anvil
      shirt"...and that gave me an opportunity to tell
      them..."Yeah....they're playing Voodoo Lounge after the Maiden show -
      you should go down there after the Maiden show for a late-night after-
      show"......unfortunately, it didn't really work....Voodoo Lounge was
      pretty empty (they still kicked ass...and played instrumental
      versions of PoP songs....this was a few months before they recorded
      that record - so some songs were still in the works).

      --- In academyofanvil@y..., "Élaine" <prot@m...> wrote:
      > I don't trust radio guys. They're all unhonnest...French Canadians
      or
      > Americans. But Captain is right...A show got to be PROMOTED. It's
      necessary.
      > I don't want to make you bored with the T-Shirts but...I will! It's
      not so
      > difficult to bring a bag full of shirts to sale after a show...You
      see
      > people in the shopping centers, in the streets, in the buses,
      subways....
      > with a cute Anvil shirt. For those who notice the shirt, their first
      > question:"Who is Anvil". If someone listened to Anvil, he will know
      that
      > they're are still running....and going strong! It's not everybody
      that goes
      > on the Web.
      >
      > It brings curiosity and if all people can have the chance to see an
      Anvil CD
      > in a store after having seen a tshirt, there's more chances that
      they buy
      > the album. Hey Captain, why don't you sell T-shirts in an Anvil
      show? Yunno:
      > TTTTTTTTTTT-Shirt!!! Anvil'sssssssssss shiiiiirtttt here!" A shirt
      stays.
      > an add on Radio is expensive.
      >
      > Tange :)

      Maybe
      > next time around - he will announce the show. As for
      > airtime.....like an interview or a special spot for an
      > announcement....that should be in the record label's hands.
      >
      > If the label is serious about promoting a new record....then they
      > have to have a good publicist....and the NUMBER ONE radio show they
      > should be targeting for promotion is Eddie Trunk's show...like him
      or
      > not - he is the #1 metal show in NYC. $500 for a 10 minute
      > interview - or whatever - might be well worth it for that label.
      >
      > I was at the last Castle Heights show.....and, although the guys
      > played great - I couldn't help but feel so bad for them.....there
      > were like 5 of us there watching them.
      >
      > Next time around......the show just has to be promoted like mad.
      > Tons & tons of flyers.....radio spots......and bands who will draw
      > people into the show......and, if it means Anvil not headlining,
      than
      > that's what should be done.....whatever it takes to have as many
      > people watch them as possible. It's an unfortunate trend that
      > whenever I see Anvil, it appears that the opening band's fans leave
      > when the band they came to see is done.....that just plain sucks.
      We
      > all know Anvil deserves to be the headliners at these club shows -
      > but, we have to deal with reality........the only way they can
      become
      > a draw again is to appeal to the metal fans who go to shows NOW.
      >
      > The kids who came out to their shows when they were a bigger band
      in
      > the early to mid-80's - now have spouses, kids, and
      mortgages....they
      > don't, for the most part, go to shows anymore - let alone even know
      > what shows are going on - let alone know that Anvil is a band that
      > still is very alive & well. There's almost no way of reaching
      those
      > fans anymore, unfortunately. The kids who are into speed metal now
      > are too young to really remember Anvil in their prime, and,
      > therefore - we have to get them on an opening slot on a big show
      with
      > a headlining band who will draw the kids in.
      >
      > It's the only way......
      >

      > > Captain,
      > >
      > > Although i enjoy any outlet fo hardrock/metal in NYC, Eddie
      > > Trunk does a good job. I do haveone major peeve with him though:
      > >

      > > I asked Mr. Trunk to announce the Anvil show at Castle
      Heights
      > > last year in New York. He suggested I buy airtime, when I asked
      how
      > > much, I was told a short spot was $500. This being above my
      > > individual advertising budget, I had to decline. We discussed a
      > > mention in the concert calender, he agreed. Come the time of the
      > > concert calender, the show was never announced. Sometimes you
      > really
      > > do get what you pay for! When approached for comment, I was told
      > that
      > > the conversation never took place.
      > >
      > > Anvil will always have an open invitation to play at Castle
      > > Heights in Queens, New York. I am determined to have one of my
      > > favorite bands exposed to a greater number of people.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      >
      > Click here to find your contact lenses!

      Service.