Eddie Trunk

  • butterbust
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2002
      Captain,

      Although i enjoy any outlet fo hardrock/metal in NYC, Eddie
      Trunk does a good job. I do haveone major peeve with him though:

      I asked Mr. Trunk to announce the Anvil show at Castle Heights
      last year in New York. He suggested I buy airtime, when I asked how
      much, I was told a short spot was $500. This being above my
      individual advertising budget, I had to decline. We discussed a
      mention in the concert calender, he agreed. Come the time of the
      concert calender, the show was never announced. Sometimes you really
      do get what you pay for! When approached for comment, I was told that
      the conversation never took place.

      Anvil will always have an open invitation to play at Castle
      Heights in Queens, New York. I am determined to have one of my
      favorite bands exposed to a greater number of people.
    • captain2man
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8, 2002
        I can understand your peeve with him based on your personal
        experience...and that does suck. In his defense (not that he needs
        it) - he probably gets a zillion phone calls a day from people asking
        to announce this show or that show.....but, granted, he definitely
        should have announced the Anvil show.

        I guess, in a way, I'm trying to establish something of a
        relationship with him by hooking him up with some Anvil stuff. Maybe
        next time around - he will announce the show. As for
        airtime.....like an interview or a special spot for an
        announcement....that should be in the record label's hands.

        If the label is serious about promoting a new record....then they
        have to have a good publicist....and the NUMBER ONE radio show they
        should be targeting for promotion is Eddie Trunk's show...like him or
        not - he is the #1 metal show in NYC. $500 for a 10 minute
        interview - or whatever - might be well worth it for that label.

        I was at the last Castle Heights show.....and, although the guys
        played great - I couldn't help but feel so bad for them.....there
        were like 5 of us there watching them.

        Next time around......the show just has to be promoted like mad.
        Tons & tons of flyers.....radio spots......and bands who will draw
        people into the show......and, if it means Anvil not headlining, than
        that's what should be done.....whatever it takes to have as many
        people watch them as possible. It's an unfortunate trend that
        whenever I see Anvil, it appears that the opening band's fans leave
        when the band they came to see is done.....that just plain sucks. We
        all know Anvil deserves to be the headliners at these club shows -
        but, we have to deal with reality........the only way they can become
        a draw again is to appeal to the metal fans who go to shows NOW.

        The kids who came out to their shows when they were a bigger band in
        the early to mid-80's - now have spouses, kids, and mortgages....they
        don't, for the most part, go to shows anymore - let alone even know
        what shows are going on - let alone know that Anvil is a band that
        still is very alive & well. There's almost no way of reaching those
        fans anymore, unfortunately. The kids who are into speed metal now
        are too young to really remember Anvil in their prime, and,
        therefore - we have to get them on an opening slot on a big show with
        a headlining band who will draw the kids in.

        It's the only way......