Zeus, Platon, Aristote, Atlas ??

  • �laine
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2002
      I tried to find who was represented by the statute.....I know that Zeus is normally showed with two horns, sign of power. Who is the man who received the Anvil on a shoulder? Atlas had the same posture but with the earth on his shoulder. Slug ... Who's that?

    • slugguit
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2002
        That would be Hephaestus (or Hephaistos), who forged the Gods' armor
        and weapons, and who was the Greek God of Fire.

        From this very good site (go read it!):

        http://www.pantheon.org/articles/h/hephaestus.html

        "Hephaestus, the god of fire, especially the blacksmith's fire, was
        the patron of all craftsmen, principally those working with metals."
        and "Hephaestus is usually shown as an animated cripple bent over his
        anvil. He wears a beard and is normally depicted as being ugly, and
        in some art forms he walks with the aid of a stick."

        So there you have it: the statue looks like a mix of Atlas and
        Hephaestus.

        Zeus was the Father of the Gods and his sign is usually lightning
        bolts. From http://www.pantheon.org/articles/z/zeus.html
        "...attributes as well as lightning were the scepter, the eagle and
        his aegis (this was the goat-skin of Amaltheia)."

        Plato and Aristotle were Greek philosophers of the 4th century BC.

        --- In academyofanvil@y..., "Élaine" <prot@m...> wrote:
        > I tried to find who was represented by the statue.....I know that
        Zeus is normally showed with two horns, sign of power. Who is the man
        who received the Anvil on a shoulder? Atlas had the same posture but
        with the earth on his shoulder. Slug ... Who's that?
      • (no author)
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7, 2002
          Well, thank you! It's crazy that the cover is blue like Forged in Fire, and
          that one part of the statue is about "blacksmith's fire". And if we refer to
          the last year, Anvil played in Germany and in Greece, so the concept of
          Altas with the earth to support is also very well thought.

          I don't know why LIPS talks about depression that much. There's a whole song
          about it and in "Sativa", he mentionned it too. Greek mythology makes me
          high".

          Élaine :)