Dave and Megadeth = Past

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2002
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      DAVE MUSTAINE -- FOUNDER, VOCALIST, LEAD GUITARIST OF
      METAL PIONEERS MEGADETH -- SUFFERS SERIOUS INJURY,
      ANNOUNCES DEPARTURE FROM MEGADETH;
      GROUP DISBANDING AFTER NEARLY 20 YEARS TOGETHER

      During the first week of January, 2002, while Megadeth was on hiatus,
      in Texas, I suffered an injury which caused severe nerve damage to my
      left arm and hand. It was diagnosed as Radial Neuropathy -
      specifically, a "compressed radial nerve." My doctors tell me it will
      take about a year to make as complete a recovery as I can, and even
      then, we don't know how complete that is going to be. I am working
      hard with a great team of doctors and physical therapists daily, and
      God willing, someday I hope to play guitar again.

      In the meantime, while I work on rebuilding my arm, I will take this
      opportunity to reappraise my career and my future. For the time being
      I have decided to exit Megadeth, and explore other areas of the music
      business where I might make a contribution without being able to play
      my instrument.

      I have had a terrific time singing and playing for you while I was in
      Megadeth. I am truly grateful for all of the numerous Gold, Platinum,
      and Multi-Platinum Records I have been awarded, as well as the many
      International Record Awards. And I can never thank you, our fans past
      and present, enough for your loyalty and affection over the years.

      My immediate goals now are to do what I can to make something good
      come out of this terrible situation. First and foremost, I want to
      use this opportunity to devote more time, energy and attention to my
      wife Pam and my two children, Justis and Electra. Pam has done a
      wonderful job carrying the load while I was a long-distance husband
      and father in the studio or criss-crossing the world on tour, but in
      terms of being a Gold or Platinum parent, I have a long way to go,
      and I'm eager to get started.

      In closing I would like to depart with the beautiful French words I
      wrote on the record 'Youthanasia': "A tout le monde, a tous mes amis,
      Je vous aime, Je dois partir." (To all the world, to all my friends.
      I love you, I have to leave)