AnViL nostalgia

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2002
      Reprinted without permission from detritus e-zine:

      Recently I found myself alone at home on a day off from work, and
      seized by a sudden bout of metal nostalgia, I pulled out my crate of
      vintage vinyl and had a classic metal listening party. Some of the
      seldom-aired selections on my air-guitaring, cat-frightening,
      neighbor-disturbing playlist included the following:

      * Anvil - METAL ON METAL (Attic, 1982), FORGED IN FIRE (Attic, 1983),
      POUND FOR POUND (Metal Blade, 1988) I was semi-familiar with these
      crazed Canucks in the '80s due to regular doses of their classic
      anthem "Metal On Metal" (which, 20 years after its release, STILL has
      one of the most bad-ass opening riffs ever recorded!) on college
      radio, but I really didn't become a fan until I saw them open for
      Raven in the mid-'90s, after which I scoured my local used record
      stores for as much of their back catalog as I could find. Their 1981
      debut, HARD 'N' HEAVY, was neither hard nor particularly heavy (it
      reminds me of Krokus, and I DON'T mean that in a good way...!), but
      they suddenly became downright lethal on the subsequent METAL ON METAL
      and FORGED IN FIRE. Unlike a lot of bands who start out heavy and get
      progressively softer as time goes on (I'm looking at you, Metallica!),
      Anvil went the other way and developed from a Judas Priest-inspired
      power metal squadron to a lean, mean, bludgeoning thrash machine by
      the 1990s. Though the music got more brutal, Anvil never abandoned
      their hilariously low-brow lyrical approach, which over the years has
      included tasteful odes to condom use ("Safe Sex"), deviant sexual acts
      ("Butter Bust Jerky," "Toe Jam"), pot smoking ("Smokin' Green") and
      self-abuse ("Five Knuckle Shuffle"). Anvil are still fighting the good
      fight and we can reportedly expect a new album from them later this
      year. Bring it on, Lips!
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 10, 2002
        It's nice to read something like that and so true. I hope Lips did. I
        lost Anvil in
        the 90' and I don't remember tunes that sounds like Judas Priest,
        except "Groove Science" :) ...but if he says so. Motorhead and Black
        Sabbath is more present I think in some songs.

        What is really hurting me in all that, is that now Anvil is the real
        Anvil. I mean by their look, by their sound...Ivan and G5's looks
        don't make any distorsion with Lips's one. When Dave used to put his
        white woman suit on stage, I just wanted to kill... And the chorus
        now is so pleasant too hear, cos it's well balanced. But in fact they
        stayed the same. G5 and Ivan makes a big difference in the stucture
        of a 80's song. These guys are excellent musicians. Lips and Robb, I
        think I don't have to tell about them, just great! Not only for
        music, but for their desire to not be followers. It would be the
        right time to see Anvil doing a (2 hours) show. It's not too late...
        Is it? No!

        Captain posted a message once talking about to promote. Is there a
        way that can satisfy Anvil and promoters? It's a real wasting to not
        hear Anvil more than that. Not only in Montreal, everywhere in
        America. If they were not the first heavy metal band, they were in
        the firsts...and now, they ROCK like they never did. Not logical.

        Tange