Re: Still going strong

  • anvilips2000
    Message 1 of 1587 , Nov 11, 2001
      It's interesting that you notice that only a
      couple of songs are writen in first person(I). Park that
      Truck was and for that reason it was very unusual for
      me to perform. I honestly didn't like the message
      but Robb insisted we do the lyrics like that. I know
      it's one of Tony's favourites but for me it seemed far
      nastier than I beleive in, The subject bothered me then
      and still does to this day. Somehow really violent
      themes seem to go hand in hand with heavy metal music,
      and expressing things of beauty and wonderment is
      much more difficult to fit with this type of music.
      Singing about roses in the garden doesn't come across too
      heavy but singing about decapitation can't help but
      sound heavy. You are correct though, singing in first
      person has a much sharper edge and if and when I use
      this format I always try to be careful not to make
      myself seem foolish or stupid. I like songs that the
      singer tells a life experience but it is all a matter of
      what the peice of music is behind the lyric. Most of
      the time you look for a hook line that has a specific
      amount of sylables or beats so that it fits on top of
      the music. For every song there are all kinds of
      perameters you must work within, not just what it says, but
      melody and rythem.
    • √Člaine
      Message 1587 of 1587 , Jan 23, 2003

        > Where is everyone tonight?