4220Re: [Academy of Anvil] Re: quick commentary & a question for Anvil fans new & old

  • Matt Ingram
    Oct 30, 2009
      I don't think they've hit the peak yet.. it's still coming.. it's still
      ramping up.

      A sequel would be cool.. and you're right.. it wouldn't have quite the
      same effect on people.. but I think it would still get a big audience.

      3 piece is killer. I saw them 5 or 6 times with Ivan.. and when he
      left... I've seen them 3 or 4 times since.. and it was so much heavier..
      so much more together.. there was a different, more powerful energy
      about them onstage. 3-piece is where they are meant to be.

      ANVIL!
      Matt.

      tgalloca wrote:

      > Hmmm....I think they are at their peak right now. Hopefully it lasts
      > for awhile longer. I think their popularity will drop down but not as
      > far down as it was. It would be nice if they could continue their
      > career and make some money (rather than spending or breaking even).
      >
      > I sequel would be cool. Sacha has filmed alot of the aftermath.
      > However I don't think it would do as well. People like to watch the
      > underdogs win. Now that they have won....the story isn't going to have
      > the same pull. I'd still like to watch it though. :)
      >
      > PS...I'd like to see a 2nd guitarist added. Sebastian Marino would be
      > cool.
      >
      > --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:academyofanvil%40yahoogroups.com>, captain2man <no_reply@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > First off....just want to say that when I started this group....I
      > could never in a zillion years have imagined that 9 years later Anvil
      > would be in the position that they are.
      > >
      > > I've been a fan of Anvil since the late 80s - just after Strength of
      > Steel came out - but didn't get to see them until the late 90s when
      > they played The Continental in New York City after Speed of Sound had
      > come out.
      > >
      > > Since then - I've probably seen them play about a dozen times in
      > clubs in the tri-state area....and - until the movie came out - I
      > doubt I ever saw them play in front of more than 20 people.
      > >
      > > Aside from the music - what endeared me to them was basically
      > exactly what people see in the movie.
      > >
      > > No matter that they may have driven down to Toronto to play a show
      > in Queens....the same night as Iron Maiden played Madison Square
      > Garden....in front of 5 people....they played just as hard (and heavy)
      > as they would if they were playing in a full arena.
      > >
      > > If they were disappointed at the turnout (and they must have been) -
      > they hid it from the fans. Lips, Robb, Glenn and Ivan were always
      > friendly, would sign anything you wanted them to, and would chat for a
      > bit.
      > >
      > > Lips was always responsive to my e-mails and even though I wouldn't
      > at all consider myself "friends" with him - he's always recognized me
      > at shows and took the time to at least say a quick "hello".
      > >
      > > To see what's happened to them because of this movie is absolutely
      > mind-blowing to me. Seeing this band go from playing in front of 10
      > people at 2 a.m. somewhere - to opening up for AC/DC at Giants Stadium
      > and getting all this press & attention is simply unbelievable and I
      > couldn't possibly be happier for them.
      > >
      > > My question is this, though.....and this is for the old diehards who
      > have been fans of the band since before the movie era - as well as
      > people who have joined up because they saw the movie and want to dig a
      > little deeper into the band....
      > >
      > > In the long run - what will come of Anvil because of the impact of
      > this movie?
      > >
      > > The gut reaction is to say that the movie has made Anvil a more
> [...]
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic