4189Re: A couple questions if anybody knows

  • captain2man
    May 24, 2009
      The answer to the often-asked question - "well - if they like Anvil so much, why don't they take them on tour with them?" is much more complicated than it sounds. MUCH more complicated.

      Remember something....the music business is a BUSINESS....it's about money.

      Tours - especially the big big ones - like the ones you're talking about - are essentially marketing tools....they exist to make money - the price of concert tickets and merchandise...the increased profile of the bands that hopefully translates to increased CD sales.

      Tours are extremely expensive to put together...they are financed from many different places....and opening acts are chosen very rarely by the headlining bands - but by the investors who pay for those tours.

      If some record label is financing a tour for Slayer - they're going to put a band on that tour who maybe is some new unknown band on that label to give them exposure....not Anvil.

      There are also "buy ons"....this is touched upon in the autobiography. But essentially, it's where an opening band (or more probably their management and/or record label) buys an unknown band onto a larger tour....the ultimate pay-to-play situation.

      Just want to put this out there because I see bigger bands often accused of not taking such-and-such a band on the road with them....just keep in mind it's far more to it than that and most likely, completely & totally out of their control.

      --- In academyofanvil@yahoogroups.com, "astraltraveller420" <astraltraveller420@...> wrote:

      > I'm new to the list here. Anyway, I saw the Cincinnati Anvil show exactly two weeks ago today & was pretty cool. Just wish it was longer than only twenty-five minutes, in the dark, a wall of amps & I could have smoked & drank. lol Never the less, I've seen 400 plus shows & can't say I've ever seen one in a movie theater before so that was different & unique anyway. lol But I digress. I was just wondering (& forgot to ask Steve, Robb or Glenn) what happened to their second guitarist who was in the movie. The other thing I was especially curious about & forgot to ask 'em was if Stash, Scott Ian, Lemmy Kilmister, Tom Araya & Lars Ulrich are such big fans of Anvil & were influenced by them, then why don't Velvet Revolver, Anthrax, Motorhead, Slayer or Metallica bring them out on tour with them as their opening act? Thanks.

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic