The 2002 Race Is Canceled !!

  • John Minger
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2002
      Subject: AC100 has been canceled for this year
      Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 15:45

      Mr. Don Cosby the Los Angeles River District Ranger has sent the word
      to us today that the this year's Angeles Crest 100 Mile Endurance
      Run's permit is being denied due to the effects of the Curve Fire. We
      have been told that Hwy 2 will be closed for at least 60 days from
      Red Box Station, past the
      fire area near Islip Saddle, to a gate near Wrightwood.

      Our understanding at this point in time is that the closure of the
      road is necessary in order to perform clean up from the fire such as
      the removal of logs and debris.

      As a result of the fire, Highway 2 will be closed and unavailable for
      the race and the Special Use Permit that is required to put on the
      race will not issued by the USFS.

      We are in the process of notifying entrants to this year's run to
      cancel their plans to travel to the race and we will roll over your
      entry fee to next year's run.

      As stated in the race application there can be no refunds if the race
      is cancelled because of fire, drought, storms, act of God or other
      circumstances beyond the control of race management.

      We did our best but we cannot overcome things that are out of our control.

      Hal Winton
      Ken Hamada

      (Message forwarded by John Minger, Ham Radio Coordinator, Los Angeles
      - 323-256-0046)