Re: [ac100] Re: Long Training Runs

  • Will Brown
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2000
      Hello, group

      I just joined the AC list a couple weeks ago. I decided to run AC after
      a 90 mile DNF at Massanutten. Vinny - I'm from NC also. My long Sunday
      runs are between 25 and 30 miles and I do them all on single track at
      Umstead State Park, site of the Umstead 100. My weekly mileage will
      peak at about 75.

      Umstead has some decent ups and downs and some rocky trail, but no
      sustained climbs/descents. I've been successful simulating those with a
      weekly treadmill workout. I climb alternating between 12% and 16% grade
      for a set distance, then put the back of my mill on a concrete block and
      run "down the mountain" hard. Usually I do this on a Saturday, so I
      start my long Sunday run with some lingering fatigue. That gives me sort
      of a "back to back" effort.

      That prepared me well for Massanutten. I climbed well, but didn't do
      some other things right.

      Will Brown
      Raleigh, NC
      Will.Brown@...