Long Training Runs

  • Jeff Huff
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2000
      Hi All,

      I would just like to get a sense of what other AC runners are doing
      for their long runs. Living in Hawaii there are only a few active
      Ultrarunners and it would be nice to hear what others on the mainland
      are doing. I have been, and still am running with two fine
      ultrarunners (akabill Molmen and Greg Pirkl)and our weekend routine
      puts us on the trail for 20-40 miles (4-8) each and every weekend.
      The long runs in the past have gotten us all in excellent shape, but
      one has to wonder if we are doing too much. We recover fine and are
      raring to go the next weekend. Thanks for any input.

      Aloha,

      Jeff Huff
    • ultrarnr@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 30, 2000
        --- In ac100@egroups.com, "Jeff Huff" <jh6735@a...> wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > I would just like to get a sense of what other AC runners are doing
        > for their long runs. Living in Hawaii there are only a few active
        > Ultrarunners and it would be nice to hear what others on the
        mainland
        > are doing. I have been, and still am running with two fine
        > ultrarunners (akabill Molmen and Greg Pirkl)and our weekend routine
        > puts us on the trail for 20-40 miles (4-8) each and every weekend.
        > The long runs in the past have gotten us all in excellent shape,
        but
        > one has to wonder if we are doing too much. We recover fine and are
        > raring to go the next weekend. Thanks for any input.
        >
        > Aloha,
        >
        > Jeff Huff

        Jeff,
        I haven't been doing ultras very long but have found the weekly
        long run to be the most important. As long as you feel you are
        recovering fine then you should be in great shape for AC. My long run
        is usually 30 miles. If you have hills to run in that is better yet.
        I am from eastern NC and it is flat here. As they say we are all "an
        experiment of one" and that really applies to how much mileage your
        body can handle. The highest weekly mileage I do is 95 miles. Right
        now I am doing a lot of races so I am in the race-recover-race mode
        and rarely do a long run.
        See you there, Vinny