The Game of Gonnect

  • Joao_Neto_1970
    Message 1 of 141 , Apr 8 2:55 PM
      Hello,<br><br>Here goes some more information
      about the game of Gonnect. Below, there is a resume and
      some useful
      abstract connection game. It uses the basic rules of
      Go<br>(each player drops a stone into an empty cell in turn;
      stones with no<br>liberty are captured; there are no
      suicides; players cannot repeat the<br>previous board
      position) with the simplification that players may not
      pass.<br>Gonnect also has a much simpler winning condition: a
      player wins by<br>connecting a group of their stones
      between any two opposite edges of the<br>board (or the
      adversary has no valid move). Play usually takes place on
      in feel. It can be said that Gonnect is<br>the
      middle road between these two great games, but after
      being introduced<br>to Gonnect the curious player
      begins to feel that it's much more than that!<br>Each
      game emphasises several fighting themes as it
      progresses: connection<br>races, blocking the opponent by
      striving for local and global deadlocks,<br>then resolving
      global deadlocks in the endgame by destroying the
      players have reached an impasse that precludes direct
      connection.<br>However the "no suicide" and "no pass" rules combine to
      resolve such<br>deadlocks beautifully - the next player
      to move is forced to play in one of<br>their own
      eyes, rendering that group vulnerable. The opponent may
      then<br>capture the group next turn to establish an unbeatable
      position.<br><br>Gonnect can be played on Richard Rognlie's game
      server<br>[<a href=http://www.gamerz.net/~pbmserv/gonnect.html%5d. target=new>http://www.gamerz.net/~pbmserv/gonnect.html%5d.</a> <br>Some notes and playing tactics gathered by
      players [available
      offer. There will be an article talking about the game
      following mini puzzle gives a taste of Gonnect:<br><br> A B
      - o o o o 7<br> 6 x x x x o - x x 6<br> 5 - - x o x
      x - x 5<br> 4 o o x o o x x - 4<br> 3 o x x o - o x
      x 3<br> 2 - - - o o o o o 2<br> 1 - o - - - - o -
    • markthomps
      Message 141 of 141 , Feb 11, 2002
        >For instance, one page shows the 14
        > different types of pentagon that will tile a plane.

        The Cairo tiling is one of those 14. It has advantages over many
        other non-regular tilings in that it is monohedral (all the same
        face) and isohedral (every face has the same "relative position" to
        the surrounding faces). However, you can't easily start at one Cairo
        pentagon and move in a straight line to a row of other cells, as you
        can on a square or hexagonal grid. Blobz (= Cairo-ized "Blobs"
        or "Ataxx" or "Spot") is a good example of a game that allows this
        kind of transplanting, because it doesn't involve pieces moving long
        distances.

        There are plenty of monohedral tilings, though as John Lawson says,
        the only regular polygons that will tile the plane are equilateral
        triangles, squares, and regular hexagons. I can't think of any games
        on other monohedral tilings either, apart from original ones that
        haven't been tested (or that haven't passed).

        One idea that I haven't done anything with involves a non-convex
        equilateral pentagon, angles 36 degrees, 108 degrees, 108 degrees, 36
        degrees, and (a reflex angle) 252 degrees. This pentagon has the
        property of being able to tile the plane in a great many ways -- you
        can hardly put the tiles together in such as way as to make it
        impossible to fit another one in. Also, they're mirror-symmetric, so
        they could be flipped over without disturbing the array.

        I would make a good number of these in stiff cardboard, black on one
        side and white on the other like Othello pieces, and play them on a
        mat with a large ellipse drawn on it, where they aren't allowed to
        lap over the edge of the ellipse. The idea would be that the first
        player places a tile with his color showing, then the players
        alternately place tiles edge-adjacent to a tile already played, and
        somehow a player "captures" pieces of the other color by flipping
        them, as in Othello. That's the rule that I haven't figured out.
        But if one could find such a rule that would lead to a good game, it
        would have the interesting property of being completely abstract and
        yet having an infinite number of possible opening moves...

        Mark Thompson
        Chicago, IL