[absintelagent] Re: I: Case-Based Reasoning Newsletter Vol. 9 No. 1

  • Amadeo
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 9, 2000
      Hi,
      - I would like to know the difference between
      knowledge management and knowledge engineering.
      - What is "agent ontology" in the context of
      cognitive agents(intelligent)
      - Do you know essential diferences among software agent and cognitive agent ?

      --- Amadeo from Angelfire

      On Wed, 19 Jan 2000 17:31:41 claudio balducelli wrote:

      >I think that Knowledge Management and Case Base Reasoning
      >can be considered as important conceptual reference points in the
      >concept of abstract intelligent agent modeling.
      >Especially for its cognitive symbolic modelling.
      >
      >- Adam

    • Adam Maria Gadomski
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 15, 2000
        Amadeo,

        Sorry for delay, I can give you some my answers on your question,
        according to the TOGA theory. I hope it is sufficiently congruent
        and maybe can be useful for you.

        "amadeo" <ama-@...> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/absintelagent/?start=69
        > Hi,
        > - I would like to know the difference between
        > knowledge management and knowledge engineering.

        - You may see knowledge as a set of relations valid for certain class
        of the
        domains of interest (possible activities of AIA(s)). Important:
        Knowledge
        does not exist without AIA and a selected Domain-of-activity [TOGA].
        It can be stored and activated(used). Any relation you can interpret as
        an
        abstract object.

        Management is an activity related to the selected meta-attributes of
        objects/relations defined from a selected point of view, and for
        predefined
        goal(s) such as searching, grouping, ... in general, for knowledge all
        operation on files are possible. Therefore, many people consider
        files/documents as knowledge - but it is not correct formally (and not
        always).

        Knowledge Engineering (KE) is focused on the construction of new
        knowledge,
        and also uses knowledge mangement. Engineering is always goal-oriented
        and
        knowledge engineering is focused on goal-oriented learning, tutoring,
        planning, with support of knowledge acquisition and knowledge discovery
        methods.
        Development of KE tools is Knowledge Meta-engineering.

        > - What is "agent ontology" in the context of
        > cognitive agents(intelligent)

        - Using human metaphor, [X]-Agent ontology is a specification of what
        exists for the [X]-agent. In general, a specification of its/his/her
        domain-of-activity and i/h/h possible canonique actions.
        Agents ontology is a set of invariant conceptual frames useful for
        identification/design of particular agent ontologies.
        It is meta-ontology.

        > - Do you know essential diferences among software agent and
        > cognitive agent ?

        - The concept of software agent is ill defined yet, it is either an
        agent
        developed in a software technology or an agent which only interacts
        in
        software domains, or an element of software languages, an active
        functional
        software unit frame defined as a data type, next, more advanced than
        object.
        And a cognitive agent it is an agent which interacts with its
        domain-of-activity according to cognitive processes.
        These concepts represent two useful but different (orthogonal)
        perspectives.

        Cheers

        - Adam
        http://erg4146.casaccia.enea.it