[absintelagent] Cognitive Technology Domain

  • A.M.Gadomski
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 1999
      To: kcox@...
      Cc: Marta Olivetti" <olivetti@...>, Diederik Aerts
      <diraerts@...>, ctsoc@onelist.com, absintelagent@egroups.com

      Dear Kevin,

      In my opinion the cognitive technology will be one of the most important
      tools of the post-modern system engineering in the 21st century.
      I appreciate very much your initiative.
      I am especially interested in meta-system engineering, intelligent cognitive
      agents and ... their formal and applicative contexts.

      I suggest you to add, on the CTS pages, a list of some basic CT definitions.
      Of course they need a consensus, therefore I also suggest to start a
      discussion about them.

      For example

      WHAT IS TECHNOLOGY?
      (<http://www.bergen.org/technology/whatech.html>http://www.bergen.org/techno
      logy/whatech.html)

      - Technology is the technical means people use to improve their
      surroundings. It is also knowledge of using tools and machines to do tasks
      efficiently.

      We use technology to control the world in which we live. Technology is
      people using knowledge, tools, and systems to make their lives easier and
      better.
      <http://www.bergen.org/technology/defin.html>http://www.bergen.org/technolo
      gy/defin.html
      ------------------

      SOME MY PROPOSALS: The second Face of CT (for negotiation)

      0.
      Definitions and terminology are fundaments of our communication platform,
      therefore they should be discussed and some standards should be suggested by
      the CT society!
      We can argue that
      The progress in cognitive technology, as in every interdisciplinary RTD field,
      is proportional to the increment of the precision of the concepts/terms used.

      1.
      Technology are mental and real tools, materials and components developed by
      humans and directly employed in the engineering in the real world.

      - It also includes manuals, methods and procedures.

      Using AI language; technology are sets of natural and engineering systems, and
      knowledge about them, being used in/for engineering.

      Technologies are usually divided according to different physical domains of
      interest of their users.

      2.
      Meta-technology represents common systemic knowledge valid and applicable
      for every technology.
      - Meta-technology is necessary for the engineering development of any
      particular technology.

      3.
      Modern System engineering uses meta-system & meta-technology analysis,
      research and development.

      4.
      Knowledge is everything what transform information into information.
      Knowledge is an abstract property of every goal-oriented system.

      5.
      Information is everything what describes every identifiable domain of interest
      (of activity).

      6.
      Data is everything what is/can be processed.

      For example, from this point of view we have the following relations:

      - informations are data for knowledge.
      - knowledge are data for meta-knowledge.
      - every information are data but not every data are information.

      On the other hand, we have scientific and observation-based theories, they are
      not goal-oriented, and, of course, they are not technologies.
      But ... if we recognize a certain scientific theory as a useful
      conceptualization tool for a certain class of engineering problems then it
      becomes a part of technology.

      COGNITIVE TECHNOLOGIES

      Cognitive technologies are conceptual and software tools and components for
      the construction of human (users) models, especially necessary for the
      design of various intelligent computer systems, as well as for their
      designing too.

      Cognitive technologies are developed in the context of the cognitive science.

      They include different reasoning methods and agent architectures that are
      based on the identification of human brain and mental (abstract) functions.
      In the last case, they are an abstraction of human-mental thinking processes.

      For example, the development of specific numerical problem solving methods
      are not cognitivistic tasks but an elaboration of their qualitative
      "logical" human-like management methods is the task for CT.

      I think that the goal-oriented management of uncertainty and incompleteness
      of information and knowledge are most characteristic tasks of CT.

      At the end, the central/reference point of CT is an abstract,
      domain-independent, action-oriented decision-making (DIAD) process.
      - Its efficacy depends on intelligence of decision-maker, and ... this is
      the problem.

      Therefore, I see an abstract intelligent agent as an acceptable
      CT model, as well as a subject and object in the CT research.

      Summarizing, I consider the above opinions as the second face of CT which is
      complementary to the point of view represented, for instance, by THIRD
      INTERNATIONAL COGNITIVE TECHNOLOGY CONFERENCE, CT'99: NETWORKED MINDS, 1999.

      [A.M.Gadomski,Sept.1999]

      More detailed vision of the symbolic knowledge-based branch of CT
      in the context of the human reliability, meta-system engineering, IDSSs
      (Intelligent Decision-Support Systems) and 'mindware' will be available soon
      on my home pages.

      Kind regards

      - Adam

      Adam Maria Gadomski Sr. research scientist
      Italian National Research Agency ENEA
      C.R.Casaccia,s.p.111 tel.+39-06-3048-3404 (-3504)
      00060 Rome fax.+39-06-3048 6511
      Home page: http://wwwerg.casaccia.enea.it/ing/tispi/gadomski/
      ENEA sites: http://www.enea.it, http://tisgi.casaccia.enea.it/