Fwd: [ICAPS] CfP: 3rd Workshop on Heuristics for Domain-independent Planning

  • lap-top-amgadomski
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2011

      [Apologies if you receive this CFP multiple times]

        FIRST CALL FOR PAPERS
               3rd Workshop on Heuristics for Domain-independent Planning
      ICAPS 2011

       Freiburg, Germany
       June 12th or 13th, 2011

      Motivation and Goals:
      =====================

      The automatic derivation of heuristic estimators to guide the search
      has become one of the main approaches in domain-independent planning.
      The approach works: very large problems, with many state variables and
      operators can be solved in this way, that could not be solved before,
      and the approach appears to scale up better than others.

      The workshop on heuristics for domain-independent planning so far took
      place in conjunction with ICAPS 2007 and ICAPS 2009, and was very
      successful both times. Many ideas presented at these workshops have
      led to contributions at major conferences and pushed the frontier of
      research on heuristic planning in several directions, both
      theoretically and practically. The workshops, as well as work on
      heuristic search that has been published since then, have also shown
      that there are many exciting open research opportunities in this area.
      Given the considerable success of the past workshops, we would like to
      continue holding it biennially.

      We look for contributions that would help us understand better the
      ideas underlying current heuristics, their limitations, and the ways
      for overcoming them. Contributions do not have to show that a new
      heuristic or new variation of a known heuristic 'beats the
      competition'. Above all we seek crisp and meaningful ideas and
      understanding. Also, rather than merely being interested in the
      'largest' problems that current heuristic search planners can solve,
      we are equally interested in the simplest problems that they can't
      actually solve well.

      The workshop series, while having originated mainly in classical
      planning, is very much open to new ideas on heuristic schemes for more
      general settings, such as temporal planning, planning under
      uncertainty and adversarial planning. We also explicitly wish to
      encourage submission of works, such as machine learning of heuristic
      functions, that diverge from the wide-spread approach deriving
      heuristic values by solving relaxations/abstractions of the problem at
      hand.

      Paper Formats Solicited:
      =====================

      We welcome technical papers as well as position statements. Papers
      mixing these two aspects are welcome, too. We particularly welcome
      descriptions of open problems, approaches that didn't turn out to
      perform as expected, or problems that existing techniques do not
      handle well -- provided in each case that there is something the
      heuristic search planning community can learn from the presented
      observation. The papers should be formatted in AAAI style, and range
      between 2 and 6 pages. See http://www.aaai.org/Publications/Author/author.php
      for formatting instructions. Submission will be handled via our
      EasyChair site at http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=hdip11 .

      As the workshop is not an archival conference, multiple submissions
      are permitted.  Work that is a strict subset of that recently
      previously published in an archival journal should be presented as a
      short position statement.

      Papers that are currently under review in other conferences or
      journals must be formatted for BLIND review with NO author or
      affiliation information listed.

      Workshop Format:
      =====================

      The workshop is planned to be a full 1-day format, but the precise
      format is to be decided as a function of the contributions received.
      We strive to have two types of presentations: long and short (15-20
      and 5-10 minutes), and if appropriate a discussion session where the
      audience members are encouraged to participate.

      Important Dates:
      =====================

      * Submission Deadline: February 11th, 2011 (**)
      * Notification: March 11th, 2011
      * Camera-ready Paper Submissions: April 8th, 2011
      * Workshop: June 12th or 13th, 2011

      (**) A significant postponement in the submission deadline is
      currently under consideration. Please watch out for news from Workshop
      Chairs.

      Organizers:
      =====================

      * Alan Fern
        Oregon State University, OR, USA
        afern (at) eecs.oregonstate.edu

      * Patrik Haslum
        NICTA and ANU, Canberra, Australia
        patrik.haslum (at) anu.edu.au

      * Joerg Hoffmann
        INRIA, Nancy, France
        joerg.hoffmann (at) loria.fr

      * Michael Katz
        Technion, Israel
        mkatz (at) technion.ac.il

      Program Committee:
      =====================

      * J. Benton, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, USA
      * Hector Geffner, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain
      * Adele Howe, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO, USA
      * Derek Long, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK
      * Wheeler Ruml, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH, USA
      * Vincent Vidal, ONERA, France
      * Sungwook Yoon, PARC, Palo Alto, CA, USA
      * Erez Karpas, Technion, Israel

    • lap-top-amgadomski
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 11, 2011