[absintelagent] Re: architectures

  • Adam M. GADOMSKI
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 1999
      Hi Hatice,

      At 10.45 04/03/99 +0200, you wrote:

      > What is the difference between "cognitive architecture","agent
      > architecture" and "software architecture"? Could you give clear definitions
      > about these terms? In some papers even some well-known "cognitive
      > architectures" are referred not as architectures but as languages. What are
      > the real meanings of these terms?Hatice

      Most general,

      - Cognitive architecture is constructed in the context and in terms of
      cognitive theories,
      It is rather functional web of invariant relations in frame of agent
      cognitive
      models.

      - Software architecture refers to the software engineering concepts and
      terminology.
      For instance, a cognitive architecture can be realized by different software
      architectures,
      it depends on language and software development platform.

      Always, an architecture is a web of concepts/components accepted a priori (in
      frame of a model) as an invariant for pre selected applications (cognitive or
      engineeristic).
      Here, emphasis is stressed on relations between system components.

      Cognitive architecture is an abstract architecture.

      Architecture is any structure presented from a specific point of view.

      Original meaning (Greek): arches (arcs) building.

      Of course, one commonly accepted cognitive/software architecture of an agent
      or
      intelligent agent does not exist.
      In my opinion, such consensus is possible for the models on a sufficiently
      high
      abstraction(generalization) level but it is a new discussion topic...

      cheers,

      Adam.

      PS. For example, in my approach to personoids I presented a hypothesis of the
      IPK (Information, Preference, Knowledge) architecture. It is not a
      tool-dependent/oriented software architecture and it is not human-based
      cognitive architecture. It is an domain- and
      application-independent functional architecture which should integrate, on a
      higher abstraction level, identification (a scientist) and design (an
      engineer) perspectives. Its expected advantage should also be its
      repetitiveness (it means, a reusing).

      Adam Maria Gadomski  - senior research scientist, R&D expert
      Italian Agency for New Technologies, Energy and the Environment
      Address:    ENEA, CR Casaccia, s.p.111        00060 Rome, Italy
                       tel:+39-6-3048-3404(-3504)         fax:+39-6-3048-6511
      <http://wwwerg.casaccia.enea.it/ing/tispi/gadomski/gadomski.html>http://www
      erg.casaccia.enea.it/ing/tispi/gadomski/gadomski.html
      "Our minds have been built by selfish genes, but they have been
      built to be social, trustworthy and cooperative."
      [Matt Ridley -- "The Origins of Virtue: Human Instincts and the
      Evolution of Cooperation" Viking Press, April 1997]

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/absintelagent