In the beginning of the working

  • chrys.alis
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2010
      Hello all,

      I am currently a few weeks into the beginning of the working (going for 18 months). I first found myself drawn to the Mathers version of Abramelin which I found online... I believe at sacred-texts.

      When the German-English translation became available, I ordered that as well as a copy of 21st Century Mage and knew that this was a working I had to do. I come originally from a non-mainstream Christian denomination, ran screaming away from it in my teens ;) , wandered for some years in a completely different direction, exploring but never practicing; everything from Satanism to Paganism Ceremonial Magic (from which I found Abramelin), Buddhism, back to Christianity, Islam, and finally Judaism, the Qabalah.. and back to Abramelin (which is the only thing that ever really sparked a sort of longing in me). It also ties in very strongly with my 'religion of birth', which placed great emphasis on the bible in its entirety and an intimate relationship with God, including the use of his name.

      I want to stress that I only superficially roamed through all these different paths, never committing to, or even studying them in much real depth (oh if only I had time!). I was never looking for the 'right' one as I believe all are valid for their own purposes, but I was looking for something that 'called' to me... and the book of Abramelin has brought me back to it time and time again.

      I have been committed to starting the working for some time, but have waited until this year (the first year of my marriage) to begin, as for the first time I feel settled, and as though I finally have a private space with which to work.

      I have a small room (actually a storage closet) just outside my front door (but still inside - apartment complex), that I have painted new, laid new carpet (would have liked wood, but have to compromise with husband), and installed a new light. It also locks with a set of keys that I have sole access to (for ensured privacy). Unfortunately, the room itself does not have windows... I have been pausing at the windows in the house and opening/closing them just before/after entering the prayer room. I also have a large poster of the rising sun on one wall, and the setting sun on the other (again I wish I could have done better, but this was the best I could come up with).

      Just outside the door of the room is a hallway with large skylights, and a railing from which I have hung a long flowerbox filled with river sand (a poor substitute I'm afraid, but it took all my resources just to secure this small space for my own).

      I am grinding up the incense from the raw materials, and adding them to galbanum resin (provided from Athena's online supplies, thank you!). I have been weighing out portions into empty tealight candle holders (the thin metal cup-like containers), and then placing these on lit charcoal tablets to burn... so far so good, but it seems like the galbanum resin burns out more quickly and then the dried materials burn in a less desirable way. I'm a newbie with incense, so any tips... or am I just burning it too long? :)

      I have a glass olive oil lamp which works perfectly! From http://www.allthingsgreen.net/marketplace/olive-oil-lamps-m-139.html

      For the Abramelin oil itself, after much consideration I decided to go with the essential oils method, using the adjusted weights (as if using raw materials) found here: www.horusset.com/RIKB/abramelin.pdf

      I was able to get a plain square of silver from http://www.cooksongold.com/

      The almond wand unfortunately actually is a 'Harry Potter' wand *cringe*, but it was the only 'almond' anything I could find... if anyone has any suggestions I'd happily take them, although the wand itself is actually quite attractive, heh!

      I have the linen robe and silk overcoat, and have a gold silk headband on the way, along with some genuine 'shell gold' to paint the names on with.

      I've been getting up half hour before sunrise (which right now is about 4.15 am, ouch!), although have been sleeping for a while after morning prayer, and have been doing the evening prayers after sunset... both times religiously. I've also gone strictly vegetarian, with no alcohol, which surprisingly hasn't been very hard to give up, but then its early days. ;)

      Fortunately, the prayer and confession comes easily... almost too easily, as it taps right into my guilt-riddled childhood, full of ideas of sin and worthlessness. It seems very strange to be resurrecting those things again as an adult, and I can't deny that I have found it troubling and cathartic all in one strange, restless mixture.

      I will post more, but it is actually time for evening prayer *now*, and then bed. Plus, I am aware that this post has become far longer than I intended it to. I think my feelings of isolation (no magickal/mystical friends to speak of) are finally spilling out, heh! Thank you to anyone who takes the trouble and time to read, and any and all advice is much appreciated. :)

      -Chrysalis
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 11 8:55 AM
        The unredeemed spirits didn't even bother my roomates, so I'm guessing not.  Remember that it's you and your HGA calling them (with deity backup), so they come to where you ask them to, and stay within that area on this plane.

        My olive oil lamp has lasted for years no problem :).

        On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 2:39 AM, ren <renny_gooneragee@...> wrote:

        good luck with the operation and i was wondering if you could let me know a few questions i have.

        how is the olive oil lamp going? has it cracked yet? because a friend told me they can crack.

        also please let me know if the unredeemed spirits bother the neighbours when they show up to swear their oath...because i also live in a rather densely populated area and im concerned that they might cause problems for other people if and when they arrive.

        thanks

        ren

        "When a thing is hidden away with so much pains, merely to repeal it is to destroy it." Tertullian

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 11 9:16 PM
            I would say to stick with the window in your temple.  The kitchen is most likely used by other people so most definitely NOT a good location at all.  it is very important that you and/or your temple space have no contact with other people at all during that final week.  I recommend a mini-fridge and snack foods, fruit and so forth for that week to make things easier if you have roomates.

            On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 8:36 PM, ren <renny_gooneragee@...> wrote:

            --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, Athena <oipteaapdoce@...> wrote:

            > The unredeemed spirits didn't even bother my roomates, so I'm guessing not.
            > Remember that it's you and your HGA calling them (with deity backup), so
            > they come to where you ask them to, and stay within that area on this plane.
            >
            > My olive oil lamp has lasted for years no problem :).

            > On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 2:39 AM, ren <renny_gooneragee@...> wrote:
            >

            > > good luck with the operation and i was wondering if you could let me know a
            > > few questions i have.
            > >
            > > how is the olive oil lamp going? has it cracked yet? because a friend told
            > > me they can crack.
            > >
            > > also please let me know if the unredeemed spirits bother the neighbours
            > > when they show up to swear their oath...because i also live in a rather
            > > densely populated area and im concerned that they might cause problems for
            > > other people if and when they arrive.
            > >
            > > thanks
            > >
            > > ren
            > > >

            > --
            > Odo cicle qaa
            >
            > "When a thing is hidden away with so much pains, merely to repeal it is to
            > destroy it." Tertullian

            ooh joyous...because i also have 1 room-mate and i would never want to harm anyone. i see in the dreams i have about when they (evil spirits) appear...they always do seem to be obeying the angel although the angel is not visibly present.

            can you perhaps give me some advice on another of my many questions...

            i have a window in my room but it doesnt fully open its one of those windows that sort of "lifts out" from the top????...i dont know if it faces exactly east..im doubting it faces exactly east...

            so im on the second floor of the unit...with one window thats not really facing the right direction but not too bad i think it faces kind of north east and wont fully open but does open a bit...

            and down stairs would be better to convocate the unredeemed spirits perhaps out the kitchen window... which faces the oppposite direction...

            do you think this would be possible to work in this location? it would be really good if i could do it here...as i am not really in the position to be moving house.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 12 2:06 AM
              When I undertook the Rite, I made the silly mistake of trying to burn olive oil in a lamp made for modern lamp oils. lol Needless to say it would hardly light and wouldn't stay lit. So I went with the regular lamp oil instead. I sincerely wish I had converted to a real olive oil lamp - but it was what it was. :) At the time I didn't know there was a difference.

              Afterward, my Angel caught site of some white candles burning in a Menorah, and insisted that She wanted a white candle instead, so that is what I use exclusively now. I keep tapers for regular work, and I keep the larger white "7-day" Guardian Angel candles to give her thanks and treats at any other time.

              I would assume, by this experience, that a white candle would serve even during the months of the full Rite.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 12 2:23 AM
                No, you do NOT want to evoke the spirits in a place other than your Oratory. That Oratory is your protective magick circle.

                If you can't open a door or window onto a terrace from where you are, that's fine. You do have a window to open, so take advantage of that for your prayers, etc. But you can simply summon the spirits into a specific spot in the room you're working in. Nowadays I don't have a Temple with a sliding glass door I can open (and the window it out, because it faces the main street). So I simply cordon off the Eastern portion of my Temple with a white curtain (to make an Oratory or Holy of Holies), stand within it facing outward (West) and summon the spirits from there.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 12 6:35 AM
                  You spend 18 months building up the energy, magic and your HGA presence in the temple.  Wouldn't want to go somewhere else to perform an extremely important part of the working.  They can appear 2 floors up no problem, however I'm not as sure about the whole busy street thing.  Perhaps a little sectioned off area just inside the window.

                  Nothing else should be in the temple at all.  The photos of friends could distract, the posters are irrelevant to the working... well you get the idea.

                  On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 4:17 AM, ren <renny_gooneragee@...> wrote:

                  aha...i see...yes of course..the oratory is working as the magic circle...mhm. kitchen window is not an option...ok

                  there is a window here in my room/temple....but its on the second floor...and it opens onto the main street.... im guessing thats not an option...could they float? otherwise they would have to stand on a curved tin roof- its like a quarter circle shaped ...just tin roof sticking out under the window...

                  ok....

                  theres one other option as well...

                  in the room/temple...there are actually 2 windows...one of them also faces not the opposite direction but its facing a different direction (90 degree) to the one the altar sits in front of...and i would be cool with using that one...again...they would have to stand on the tin roof...

                  but...there is a window from the neighbours house...that is in such a position that it looks down onto the space they would appear...

                  i understand that is not acceptable.

                  which leaves aarons final option...bringing them into a specific part of the oratory....

                  that sounds really scary i would have prefered they were outside and i was inside...all the dreams i have tho..we come face to face and its a polite and respectful conversation.

                  hmmm....if i have to...i will bring them into my room.

                  ren

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 12 7:51 AM
                    --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, "ren" <renny_gooneragee@...> wrote:

                    > aha...i see...yes of course..the oratory is working as the magic circle...mhm. kitchen window is not an option...ok
                    >
                    > there is a window here in my room/temple....but its on the second floor...and it opens onto the main street.... im guessing thats not an option...could they float? otherwise they would have to stand on a curved tin roof- its like a quarter circle shaped ...just tin roof sticking out under the window...

                    lol They are spirits. They don't really "stand" anywhere.

                    > but...there is a window from the neighbours house...that is in such a position that it looks down onto the space they would appear...
                    >
                    > i understand that is not acceptable.

                    The problem is not that someone might look out and "see" the spirits. The problem is that someone might look out and see/hear you standing in the window in full regalia reciting conjurations. ;)

                    > which leaves aarons final option...bringing them into a specific part of the oratory....

                    Not exactly. The Oratory/Holy of Holies would be the small portion of the room you divide off with the sheet. The rest of the room would be the Outer Court where the spirits are free to manifest. (Read the description of the outdoor Oratory in Abramelin.) You could even put down your river sand there.

                    > that sounds really scary i would have prefered they were outside and i was inside...all the dreams i have tho..we come face to face and its a polite and respectful conversation.

                    After the Rite is complete, you will work face-to-face with some of the spirits - especially your four Familiars. When working with the bigger guys (*especially* the big 12, and any of their servitors you haven't already developed a relationship with), you'll want to do it from inside the Oratory.

                    And there are three mistaken impressions about Abramelin that you want to avoid:

                    1) I thought that after the Rite I would have full command over all the spirits. I didn't. It will take you time to seek out the spirits who actually want to work with you. Follow the direction of your Angel, and keep in mind it can take years. (Or longer, or shorter - depending on how your Guardian feels about you working with infernal spirits.)

                    2) Do NOT mistake the spirits listed in the Book of Abramelin as minor spirits! You'll find names like Helel, Abaddon and Magog listed among them. These are big guys, they are infernal (NOT misunderstood nature spirits) and they are dangerous.

                    And 3) Neither your Angel nor the Spirits are going to manifest in full pyrotechnic, special-effects glory. (Regardless of what Abraham the Jew wrote.) Follow the Rite point for point, and don't get hung up on what you "see" or don't "see." And also remember that, after the Rite, your Angel will sleep for some time - so don't expect to be riding through the heavens in a Chariot of Fire helmed by your Guardian Angel - at least for a few months. lol When your Angel wakes up, you'll know!