Abramelin and dervishhood

  • daniel c
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
      Hey everyone-
      A couple questions: If one's religion/spirituality require that a man not wear a full gown of silk,small amount debatably being 'ok', could the white,yellow or rose robes be linen instead?

      In regards to sufism and the arts related to abramelin, has anyone read or found european language translations of Buni's - Shams al-Ma'arif al-Kubra or the Asrar-i Qasimi ? I know www.antiochgate.com has them in ebook form in their native languages, just wondering.
    • tlg
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
        > If one's religion/spirituality require that a man not wear a full gown of silk,small amount debatably being 'ok'
        may i ask which religion this is?

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2010
          Your main robe is to be linen, and the over robe is to be of silk.  So looks like you are fine there :).

          On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 5:37 AM, daniel c <danielson_07@...> wrote:

          Hey everyone-
          A couple questions: If one's religion/spirituality require that a man not wear a full gown of silk,small amount debatably being 'ok', could the white,yellow or rose robes be linen instead?

          In regards to sufism and the arts related to abramelin, has anyone read or found european language translations of Buni's - Shams al-Ma'arif al-Kubra or the Asrar-i Qasimi ? I know www.antiochgate.com has them in ebook form in their native languages, just wondering.

          "When a thing is hidden away with so much pains, merely to repeal it is to destroy it." Tertullian
        • daniel c
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 6, 2010
            Ah- indeed. So you're saying the over robe is not necessary at all?

            --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, Athena <oipteaapdoce@...> wrote:

            > Your main robe is to be linen, and the over robe is to be of silk. So looks
            > like you are fine there :).

          • daniel c
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 9, 2010
              --- In abramelin@yahoogroups.com, tlg <taliesin.lothlorien.gaia@...> wrote:

              > > If one's religion/spirituality require that a man not wear a full gown of
              > silk,small amount debatably being 'ok'
              > may i ask which religion this is?

              Hi, Tlg: islam. ;)

              To athena/all: So the over robe isn't necessary?
            • tlg
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 9, 2010
                aha thanks, i just read this article that explains why muslim men are forbidden to wear silk:
                http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/3662

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 9, 2010
                  yes talie, and here is an article explaining jurists opinions of a small amount being permissible: http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503544358

                  '2,3 or 4 fingers width'.. just enough for the headband ;)

                  I was initiated into a sufi tariqa. I realized recently that once you are a dervish, you're a dervish forever.
                  The books I asked about in my original post are supposed to be quite similiar in some ways to the abramelin- word squares, working with spirits, etc. They were supposedly handed down in the tradition of sufism. They rival the picatrix in significance of occult tradition.