Wow

  • David Stolowitz
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 29, 2009
      I've really come a long way since I wrote this thread. Everyone who is hesitating about whether or not to do the operation - DO IT! It will really transform you and your life. It is so worth the effort and I'm sure that ten years down the line the time will not have seemed like such a big thing. I am really thankful for this list and for Athena and Georg and Steven and everyone else that has been helping to bring back magic into the world. It really makes a big difference and changes peoples lives. Its an honor to work with all of you. Lots of love!

      David
    • detta_ven
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 14 4:26 AM
        Thanks for the encouragement David. :)
        I'm currently making preparations (to start next Easter), and every now and again the enormity of the task dawns on me, 'Are you sure you want to do this?' Posts like yours are so reassuring.
        Thanks again!
        -detta

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 15 8:45 AM
            Hey guys. I'm sure that what I am about to ask is probably in the message history but I don't want to look too long for a similar explanation hahaha...

            So... if you are a person who works an everyday job, who lives alone but still exists within a social environment (small city) do you think that the operation is still possible? Would someone have to have months of solitude to do it?

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 15 8:52 AM
              We have covered that at least 10 times, as well as quite recently.  You could try search terms such as "seclusion" "job" and so forth.  I also talk a lot about how being around others keeps you the same, and also brings you smack right back down to their (not currently doing Abramelin) level.  I keep repeating myself, but no one listens... it is a once in a lifetime, most likely the most important magical working you will ever do. Why not go by the book?  It is like everyone wants to keep their mundane reality and perform a fancy working all at the same time.  Think about your reasoning for wanting to do the working.  Is it not worth saving up enough cash to do this properly?  Btw, I didn't reply the last time someone asked, so this reply goes for them as well :>.  Many disagree with me, but this is my opinion speaking from my own experience.  It's not like you have to be in seclusion for seven years like some of the mystics ;).

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 19 1:10 PM
                Good points, thanks

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 19 1:14 PM
                  You're quite welcome :).  I should get around to compiling a FAQ with questions answered... perhaps over the winter holidays...

                  On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 1:10 PM, shivagodmind <shivagodmind@...> wrote:

                  Good points, thanks

                • frateroen
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 31, 2016
                    This thread may be old, but it addresses some of the things that bring me to the Operation in the first place. There are many examples in this group of folks professing confusion around the necessity for binding the demons, and disbelief or consternation at the "Fear of God" phrases peppered throughout Abramelin.

                    I have some insights I'd like to share, but I must underscore that as of this writing I have not begun the operation. Therefore, this post is about what brings me to Abramelin, rather than what I "got out of it."

                    Like a lot of folks, the first thing I noticed in Abramelin was demon bindings, and I had walked in to Ceremonial Magick thinking it was something I'd never do. however, it only took a second for me to see a parallel between Abramelin, and the stories of Buddha confronting Maya and the temptations under the Bodhi tree. Cracking open my dusty old Bible, I also find Jesus confronting Satan in the Desert. They both do this after spending 40 days in the wilderness, which is probably not coincidental.

                    There are an enormous number of Bible stories in the New Testament alone of confrontation between Jesus and his disciples, and demons. I quote sources below for the interested:

                    "These include Jesus' temptation ( Matt 4:1-11 ; Mark 1:12-13 ; Luke 4:1-13 ); the blind man ( Matt 9:32-33 ); the blind and mute man ( Matt 12:22-23 ; Luke 11:14 ); the Canaanite woman's daughter ( Matt 15:22-28 ; Mark 7:24-30 ); the man in the synagogue ( Mark 1:23-27 ; Luke 4:31-37 ); the Gerasene demoniac ( Matt 8:28-34 ; Mark 5:1-20 ;Luke 8:26-37 ); the boy with seizures ( Matt 17:14-20 ; Mark 9:14-29 ; Luke 9:37-43 ); and the silencing of demons ( Matt 8:16 ; Mark 1:32-35 ; Luke 4:40-41 ). Other possible examples include the seven demons expelled from Mary Magdalene (Luke 8:1-2 ), Jesus' rebuke of Satan's suggestion through Peter ( Matt 16:23 ; Mark 8:33 ), and his command to Judas after Satan had entered him ( John 13:27 ). Additionally, we are told that the disciples ( Luke 10:17-20 ) and even someone they did not know ( Mark 9:38-40 ) saw demons submit to them, but we are not given any other details. There are three main terms for demons in the New Testament: daimonion [daimovnion] (demon; 60 times, 50 in the Gospels);pneuma [pneu'ma] (spirit; some 52 times) usually with a qualifying adjective such as akatharton [ajkavqarto"] (unclean; 21 times) or poneron [ponhrov"] (evil; 8 times); and angelos [a [ggelo"] (7 times of demonic agencies). Daimon (demon), the term commonly used in classical Greek, appears only once ( Mark 8:31 )."

                    So for the nervous, there is a lot of precedence for this kind of practice. What is the purpose? I find it intriguing that Buddha confronts demons just before he gains enlightenment, and Jesus does so also just before he goes on to be crucified. Crucifixion, sacrifice, enlightenment, and Kabbalistically Tiphareth all have correspondences. I cannot help but ponder these connections as I prepare for my own operation.

                    It is said in Buddhism that one cannot awaken until one has overturned every aspect of being, and severed attachment to all illusions. The Demon Maya is illusion personified. He is the last guardian of the gate that keeps people separate from reality; separate from knowledge of the true self. Maya is also a name for Lakshmi, the Hindu Goddess of Wealth, Fame, and Prosperity. Again, this is not coincidental.

                    Taking these things in to account, it is quite clear why it is important to bind demons, to be truly purified and free, the magician needs to have these bad boys under control. At this point, for me it's theory, but I have total trust that Buddha and Christ knew what they were doing here, and I see Abramelin as a means to achieve this end.

                    Now, as far as approaching God in fear is concerned, I'd like to share a little personal story. I entered the spiritual path when I was 15 years old, with no intention of actually "going there." Me and a friend decided that we wanted to try LSD, so we went out in to the woods, and each took a dose of blotter acid. Just proior to this, I said to my firend that I wanted to "Talk to Death." I was in to heavy metal at the time and I imagined that I was going to go in to something like an interactive movie, and that I could hang out with a cartoon version of the Grim Reaper and have a few laughs. I literally was so naive that I imagined it would be like stepping in to an Iron Maiden poster, and that this would be fun!

                    Instead, I was confronted with the most horrifying wet-your-pants and babble until they throw you in the loony bin experience I have ever had in my life. No, I did not see a cartoon version of the Grim Reaper, and no, it was not like hanging out in a groovy day-glow smurf fantasy! In fact, I experienced very few visual and auditory phenomena. What I encountered was the fact that I could not silence my thoughts. That's pretty much it.

                    The implications of this, however, were horrifying... literally the fear of God! You see, I had spent my entire life up until that point in the hazy-deluded belief that I was not a body (I had a body, but it isn't me!), that I wasn't my circumstances (that's just the environment, right?), that I really wasn't part of the world (I exist in it, but I'm separate), and that somehow... there was a "me" in the center of my Universe. I didn't know it, but I took this "me" to be my thoughts, feelings, and sensations.

                    When I couldn't silence my thoughts, I realized that they weren't me either. I can move my body around at will... heck I had more control over my body (which isn't me remember?) than I had over the contents of my mind!

                    And here is the thing that literally drove me crazy for about a week; I couldn't figure out who or what I was! There was nothing to nail down, nothing to hold on to, and I knew, somehow, that I was facing the completely terrifying truth that the neat little world I had thought that I lived in was not real, which meant by extension that "I" wasn't real!

                    This fear of God experience faded away, but my urge to find out what the heck I was had just begun. Several years later I found Zen, and from the start I found that every time I sat down to meditate, I experienced two things; the noisy uncontrollable mind, and the same stark raving terror that I had experienced that afternoon in the woods on LSD.

                    25 years, and lots of meditation later, I don't feel that degree of fear and I have learned to quiet my mind. This has opened up many other experiences of truth... and they are not frightening at this point only because I have come to understand how illusory the world really is.

                    I will say this; approaching spiritual practice with a Fear of God is not, in my experience, a quaint metaphor or a philosophical position. I also don't think it's something you can adopt or fake; it really is a natural reaction to confrontation with the truth. I can't put it in to words, but for many reasons, I can clearly see that under the right circumstances, the Abramelin working will have the magician confronting the self, illusion, God, and demons.

                    I know that i have no ground to stand on in speculating what my own operation will be like, let alone anyone else's. I won't be surprised if it's not what I expect. I also won't be surprised if I wet my pants at some point.