Re: Curious about the Warnings

  • David Stolowitz
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2009
      There are no in-depth spells. The second book is just biblical scripture empowered to wonder-work through sympathetic magic. The squares of book 4 are straightforward.

      People are likely gonna scream about this, but I studied Abramelin in tandem with the Necronomicon, and I noticed a lot of parallels in terms of a very dualistic teaching, at least exoterically, resulting in a strong and paranoid condemnation of "evil", whether it was conceived as preexisting or emergent. When you look at the squares and book 4, you notice that they are defined by three main categories - their effect (chapter), what spirits carry them out, and what spirits inspired them to begin with. The third is the most critical in terms of morality and understanding the whole system, because it begs the question, "If these things are so evil, why did you include them in this book?"

      Abraham based his understanding and teaching very much on Judean scripture, and he was all too aware of the seemingly endless cycle of embrace and betrayal of Yahweh that it outlined. You almost get this sense from reading him, especially when he talks about the wisdom passing from his sect, that he looks upon the whole thing as inevitable - as if humans couldn't help but to fall into "evil" eventually, given time. Psychologically, its the very process of development - we go out towards the thing that interests us and challenges us, but run back to the safety of the familiar when it gets overwhelming.

      The solar aspects of the abramelin rite have been well explored since Mathers was orchestrating things, but what struck me most about the process was the Saturnine aspect - things like discipline, death, limitation, the value of laws and scriptures, etc, etc. Especially since the God Name of Yahweh Elohim is not only associated with Saturn but the entire teaching of the Aaroni Priesthood, and with that the whole "P" source for the old testament. "God has rules, and you follow them - or else!" But with that comes a great sadness and melancholy in that the rules sterilize existence and make it more like death than life.

      I struggled personally with a lot of what Abraham wrote, especially since I actually took his advice and hand-copied the text. But, you see, stuggling with the angel is one of the oldest practices in Jewish tradition. All these concerns you have - even these fears - are part of the process. So I guess what I am trying to say is that even though you might always be ignorant about something, there is something also going on of which you are always aware and will never be able to forget. The interplay between those two extremes will shape your training and the path you take from it.